Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,178 members

Easy Odor Fix

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted by Past Member, on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:15 am

kbd wrote:
hydrogen peroxide--this helps with the odor.

it may, but i believe it could do some irreparable damage to your stoma if it makes contact. Its strictly anecdotal from another site, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can set me straight if i am wrong.

Reply by kbd, on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:42 am
I actually don't use it anymore, but some people have claimed to use it for years with no problem. My concern with it was that it might weaken the plastic bag, because I got my first ever leaking bag after using peroxide for a couple of days. Might have been coincidence. I have had good luck using a couple of Altoids.
KBD

Reply by Past Member, on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:34 pm
I didn't seem to have any problems when I used it, but it couldn't hurt to get an ET nurse's opinion. The only thing I was wondering about at the time was whether it created extra gas in the bag.

I've been irrigating for a long time now, so don't have any odor worries.

Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 pm
My osty nurse said do not use aspirin in your bag as it is an irritant to the stoma.

Reply by butterfly33, on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:47 pm
Great ideas about solving pouch odour.  My favorite is when you are emptying the pouch, it's called "JustaDrop" you just place a drop or two in the toilet.  It's a concentrated plant extract safe in any toilet, home, office, camper, septic systems etc..it creates a blocking layer on the surface of the water to trap and eliminates odours before they escape into the air.  I have to order it on line because I live in the country so postage & handling is pricey but many drugstores etc do sell it.

Reply by cellodog, on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:41 am
I realized that if I ate oatmeal every morning (instead of eggs & bacon) that I had less problems with odor.  Thinking about this, I tried putting a little raw oatmeal in my bag in the morning.  I discovered that about 3 tablespoons of raw oatmeal in my ileostomy bag helps create a good chemistry in the bag to control odor.  Since I have a Robinson appliance, I can add oatmeal a couple of times in the morning if necessary.

If I have a bad morning, I think I'll try the baking soda idea; sounds good.

Let me know if this is helpfull to anyone.

Reply by Jia, on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Yes 

Reply by charleston guy, on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 am

Hi Jia,

I have an Ileostomy for a little 

over six years. I use the Devrom

tablets for my odor issues. It works

well for me when I eat spicy foods

or foods that may cause an odor 

issue. 

Reply by Jia, on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:24 am

Hi Charleston Guy thank you for your email and also for your suggestion.  

Reply by charleston guy, on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Jia,

You're very welcome. 

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.