ConvaTec - Me+ Join For Free
Advertisement
ConvaTec - request sample

Irrigate

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
16,492 Members
  Past Member
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:53 am
after many years with my colostomy i finally decided to try irrigation.
i must say i was a bit cautious at first, but this quickly disappeared
after the first few trys. this has removed a huge burden from me,
and made my life and especially work and social activities so much more
enjoyable. i cant belive this was never mentioned to me all those years ago.
i wonder how many on this site use this procedure??
if you have ever even considered this please try it, 2 to 3 predictable days
without any output is quite a blessing in so many circumstances.
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:50 pm
  hey thank you for the suggestion
  Past Member
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:16 pm
had a few private messages on this. this is well worth the effort to learn. there is a video on it on youtube search colostomy irrigation. it eliminates so many worries. if you are considering it and a bit scared you can pm me and i`ll talk you thru it if desired.
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Hi, It wasn't I who private messaged you (beyond my ability), but I also saw a video on irrigating and thought it was interesting. First I have to see if my insurance will cover it. That would be fantastic to not have to worry about leaks everytime you want to go out .........or to work. (That order shows how my mind works doesn't it?)
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 am
Toatally agree i have been irrigating for the last 6 months and its the best thing i could have done, i really could not get used to the colostomy bag and by doing this i feel free and have no limitations on what i can do !! I irrigate every other day  and can plan things so much better ......
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:44 pm

gorgiepuss wrote:
Toatally agree i have been irrigating for the last 6 months and its the best thing i could have done, i really could not get used to the colostomy bag and by doing this i feel free and have no limitations on what i can do !! I irrigate every other day  and can plan things so much better ......

Are you saying that you don't wear the colostomy bag now?  I don't understand that...I do understand irrigating but you would still need the bag I would think.  Please let me know.
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:34 am

lisam3 wrote:

Are you saying that you don't wear the colostomy bag now?

hi lisa, if you have good results with irrigation a "stoma cap" is typically worn in place of the normal pouch. it is roughly the size of the end of a coffee mug, contains a vent with filter and a thin lining made of material simular to a female "panty liner". it would hold a small amount of "out put" should it be required.
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:05 pm
I found that all I needed was a tiny plaster to cover my flat stoma after irrigation, which I only had to do every 2 or 3 days.  Your digestion rate stays the same after a colostomy as it was before so, if you only needed to go to the toilet every other day, you will only need to irrigate every other day.  The procedure takes around 45 minutes and you have to ensure you are careful about the temperature of the water and the speed at which you insert it.  Also, be gentle with yourself to avoid abrasions which could lead to infections.  If you do it right, you will live as "normal" a life as anyone else!
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:36 pm
what about gas? how does that work with a stoma cap?
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:30 am

Eli wrote:
what about gas? how does that work with a stoma cap?

Any answers? Secondly how 'safe' is the cap - can/do accidents happen?
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:20 pm
I have been irrigating for the last eighteen months and it works great for me . I have a permanent colostomy due to anul cancer . I am having chemotheraphy at the moment for breast cancer and the last two treatment i have had have really upset the system and i am worried that i am damaging something already working well .has anyone else had any permanent problems due to chemo ?
Great site but i havent got round to working out how to chat and do other things keep meaning to get my niece to give me lesons.
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 am
I have been 'happily' irrigating more or less from 6 weeks after the op. (about 4 months now)  I had no intentions of doing anything else.
Normally I would not have to worry about it for 1.5 - 2 days. However, today after my irrigation session, the feaces continued to evacuate as if I had not irrigated at all. This went on for about 4 hours until I decided to irrigate again.
This seems to have sorted it but it might have been embarrassing if I had been wearing a cap instead of a bag.
Has anyone else had this sort of problem?
Bill
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:15 pm
Thanks to KarenH I've been irrigating for about 3 months, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread ! I walk around all day with a clean bag, all the problems associated with having poop in the bag , all gone. Bags last much longer, flange lasts 8 or 9 days, so much cheaper also. The Stoma nurse recommended the bottom of the irrigation bag be at shoulder height, I'm using it higher which increases the pressure, and holy mackeral ! the water empties waaaaay faster, with just that little increase in elevation. It takes a little while for your body to get trained , but once it does it's bloody marvelous .

Cheers Bob.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.