Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Worried

Posted by Jojoslife, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:06 am
i have had my colostomy for aprox 3 weeks all has been going well , 2 days ago i went out for a few hours to the shops , now my stoma seems to have retracted into my tummy . i have tried to contact my stoma nurse but she hasnt been available , im resting now and hopeing to hear from her soon . do you have any advise for me .
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:13 am
If its worrying you JoJo then head to emergency. I,m heading there my self cos of my pain issues and now a weeping sinus has just opened up in a new spot. So get in there and get it checked,, it's better to wait for a bit and be told theres nothing wrong than to fins out somethng is wrong too late.
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:07 am
Hi Jojoslife!  I'm not on here much these days but check in from time to time to see how everyone is doing....nice to meet you Smile   ...hey,  has it retracted into your tummy all the way or just a little??  Gus is right to go to the emergency if you are worried, for sure, ...do you have bleeding or pain??  I understand your worry dear but it will be ok ...but do have it looked at Wink   Also note that our stomas can often change shape and size, sometimes retracting a bit, other times sticking out a bit farther....mine does that a lot in fact Smile and I have had an ileostomy for 34 years...it still likes to move 'n groove just like the rest of me lol....it will be ok sweetie try not to worry.....but get it looked at and let us know how you're doing, ok? SmileSmile

~Doe
Reply by Jojoslife, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 am
thanks Gus nurse said bowels move in and out and shes not worried ,its still working .  i,m going to see her on thursday .  so alls good
Reply by Jojoslife, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:26 am
thanks Doe im feeling alot better and i really apreciate your help
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:13 am

Jojoslife wrote:
thanks Gus nurse said bowels move in and out and shes not worried ,its still working .  i,m going to see her on thursday .  so alls good

Your welcome JoJo,,
Reply by beyondpar, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:59 am
Hey Jojo.

The small bit of advice I have here is if your stoma rectracts on occasion,  and it will depending how hard its working to keep the food moving to expel it,  I would make sure I use a convex skin wafer...............It will keep the stoma protruding nicely so that you wont get leakages , which often happen when stomas want to hide by going into ones belly.LOL.

You still sound so good and positive for a newbie....LOL..
Stay well  .......................Your american freind  Michael

As you can well see we are a tight group on here and have great support as evidenced by Gus,  Hey gus,  and wounded doe,  Hi Laura..............Till next post.....Michael
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 am
JoJo, I did a lot of research on Convetec and man I hope I spelled that right, I am not looking at my papers.  They do have a devise that you can wear 8 hours a day and you wont need a bag during that time, that is why I was so glad you was having a Colostomy because I know you also like to dress up.  If anything fails in my surgery then I am going to start using them myself and I can't let this whip my rear.  Thanks for the email and I promise I will call when I am feeling better, you should get that package today from me, It must take a long time to get anything to your Country.  Also I weighed a little bit ago and am loosing today, I guess just sometimes it dont want to come off to fast.  I see my Surgeon in just about six weeks and he is going to give me my date and I will also call and let you know when I get my reversal.  My son is flying home from DC to be here for my surgery and my friends will be with me and my other son and husband and you are right I will be OK.  I just hate hearing all these stories where things go wrong.  Every test I took came back awesome so shouldnt have one problem for the rest of my life.  Plus my husband knows never to sign another paper for me for anything.  I have a really good Lawyer and also my husband would never do this to me again.  It would take a heck of a lot to kick me in the grave as I have always been able to beat all odds and until my youngest is raised I am not changing my mental state.  He starts school in a few days and now time seems to be passing and I am glad.  I will probably have to order Christmas like last year but I dont mind.  My youngest dont care and his favorite part is mom ordering a Cake for Jesus that says Happy Birthday and he takes it to school with Presents for the children that arent going to get any.  I am glad I did one thing right in my life, I raised my children the best way I could wihout knowing what I was doing.  Really thanks for the email, I needed that encouragement.  I put you on my phone a while back and it was no problem, I just have to start fighting for more strength.  I will get there Jo and I do love you all, Jenny
Reply by Marines1967, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:54 am
Hi jojo, I suffered from cronic diverticulitis and had to have colostomy surgery on March 03. I like Gus, I would get yourself to the ER an have them look at your stoma. Good luck jojo.

Marines1967
Reply by Marines1967, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:38 pm
Hi Jojo, I just talked to stoma nurse she called me about my pouchs. I asked her about your retacting stoma she said that it is normal. Could be do to loss of weight plus the stoma is always changing. She asked if it was still functioning as it is suppose to.

Marines1967
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:34 pm

beyondpar wrote:
Hey Jojo.

The small bit of advice I have here is if your stoma rectracts on occasion,  and it will depending how hard its working to keep the food moving to expel it,  I would make sure I use a convex skin wafer...............It will keep the stoma protruding nicely so that you wont get leakages , which often happen when stomas want to hide by going into ones belly.LOL.

You still sound so good and positive for a newbie....LOL..
Stay well  .......................Your american freind  Michael

As you can well see we are a tight group on here and have great support as evidenced by Gus,  Hey gus,  and wounded doe,  Hi Laura..............Till next post.....Michael

G'day Michael Whats new mate
Reply by Faith4Today, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 pm
hey, gennyg.
Coming to atlanta soon, about the 23rd. maybe we can meet up?
Faith
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 pm
Hey Faith, That sounds cool, I am not that far from the Atlanta airport, it would just need to be a time after my son is out of school.  We might be able to make it by 4:00 as I hate the traffic in this city so my husband does his best to time it.  My son starts school on the 9th this month.  I havent drove anywhere alone since this surgery so my husband does the driving or my son  depending on who is busy.  Plus depending if my son is home from DC that weekend.  Let me know what time you will be here and maybe we can get a drink or something.  I think it would be really cool to see you, I already feel like I know you anyway.  Plus we have a awesome airport in Atlanta, it is like big but you probably been in it.  Faith just write when you know what time you will be in Atanta, Jenny
PS If it dont work out this trip it will another one, I am having my surgery as soon as my Doctor will do it, he dont think I will have much down time.  Faith I will email you my home phone number and cell, but I am at home more than out while waiting on surgery.  If it cost you to call me, leave a number and I will call you back.
Reply by Pinky, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm
Hi JoJo - glad you got your issue resolved.  I noticed my stoma retracted a bit long after surgery (it's been 18 months now).  I didn't need full on convexity - I just slip an Eakins seal under my wafer and it gives me the extra I need and no leakage.

You have a lovely family, a CUTE little doggy, and who rides the Fatty?     Pinky  Smile
Reply by Jojoslife, on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:27 pm
dear Pinky
              thank you for your kind coments, i sure do have great family and the cutest little dog ever . my hubby rides the fatty and we both love it . i just had my surgery 3 weeks ago. alls going really well . i was concerned when my stoma changed but every body was so helpfull on this site . so thanks to all .
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.