Travel Tips?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Faith4Today

Getting ready to fly to Kansas City then Atlanta and back to CA. Now that they have new regulations about bottled liquids and meds. Are there any products we can't take or that have to be inspected that they will make us throw away? Should all the supplies for a month be carry-on or in a suitcase? Still a newbie... Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky
Hi Faith - I noticed at my most recent visit to San Diego Lindbergh Field that there is a separate screening line for people with "medical liquids" - it's the same little gate they let through people with baby strollers. I have passed through regular TSA screening with more than the limit of an Aveeno product I used for insertion of suppositories, and when I started to explain, the guy just said "Is this for medical purposes?" I nodded, and he let me through. They really don't want to know about our problems. Anyway, ostomates should ask for a "private screening" in this age of full-body scanners.

PS - ask Bikerboy Greg from San Diego what HE does when he goes through the screening!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
beatrice

Can't comment about airports and such (haven't done that yet) -- but as someone who just came back from her first 2 weeks away from home ... take way more supplies than you think you will use! That's my tip ... ask me how I know.

scripsit

I travel a lot, especially by airplane. I suggest you place a minimal supply in a carry-on bag, the rest with a checked-in bag. On a recent business trip, I had to stay an additional week, which turned into a difficulty. I had only brought an adequate supply of bags for a week, plus an extra. I had to find additional bags and could not find a medical supply store within a reasonable distance. Usually, I have bags shipped to my home via an internet order. I had a problem where the supplier would not ship to anywhere other than the credit card billing address. This turned into a disaster. I had to stretch out my extra bag, which started leaking on my return flight. I was stuck and embarrassed.
The lesson I learned: take an extra week's supply along.