Colostomy Reversal/Takedown

In this discussion
Replies
Views
arielrodriguez

Hi, I am 18 years old and I had an emergency colostomy done after a gunshot wound to the belly in March. I am having the reversal done on 8/11/10 and totally don't know what to expect. I was in a coma while the colostomy healed, so I really wish to know what should I expect after surgery.

CAN ANYBODY HELP!!!!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky
Hi Ariel - Yes, I had a takedown after a temporary colostomy back in 2003. I really doubt you will have any problems. You have to take it slow with getting back to foods you may have been doing OK on with the colostomy. Add a small amount of new foods every week. If you didn't lose too much colon, and since you haven't had radiation therapy (like for cancer) or multiple surgeries that could leave a lot of scar tissue, you should be doing great within a fairly short time!

I did well the first couple of years after takedown, but then the radiation/adhesions problem caught up with me and I decided to have a permanent colostomy done. For me it sure beats having a sore butt all the time.

Congratulations, and sending good thoughts your way...wherever you are!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate