Urostomy Hernias?

Replies
Views
Eileen

Hello everyone, does anyone have any info regarding urostomy hernias? Do they get worse as we age? Is surgery an option, etc.....Thank you for your time.

Eileen, (Love this site)

vulcanBMk2
Hi Eileen, I also have a urostomy hernia, but mine is quite low down on my tummy, on the line of my operation incision scar. It looks a bit unsightly but is not uncomfortable and does not really bother me in any way. I find my normal underwear is quite supportive. (But there again, I am a man) so I'm not sure what problems you might have. It can be repaired, but I don't really want any more surgery at the moment....

Take care........
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Hernias: I suggest checking with your urologist who did the surgery, get his/her opinion if it could/should be repaired or not. A repair can be complex, depending on the size and your health. Some surgeons would prefer just to relocate the stoma after repair.

Most hernias are not harmful in themselves but usually get larger over time, can become unsightly with clothing, have to enlarge your appliance opening to accommodate the stoma stretching, or possibly change the type of appliance you wear.

There are several support belts (Nu Hope has a big variety and can custom make them, there are other brands too) that will help reduce the hernia, give you support.

Not everyone is a good surgical candidate for repair, but anyone can use a belt.
vulcanBMk2

Quite right! Whoa!! There's nothing like a good belt!! If I remember correctly!!

Past Member
Hi

Bostomy

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Whoa

Vulcan... too funny!

Clarification: I recommend a good ostomy support belt () for anyone doing exercise/work that involves using abdominal muscles to give you support, hernia present or not. I also recommend having a visit with your surgeon if you have one... it is good to know the pros and cons of repair vs. waiting. There are some surgeons that actually specialize in hernia repairs.

Bostomy... not sure if you were asking about mesh??? Lots of different types... I personally don't know enough to be informative about all that is out there.

Eileen
First, let me thank you all for replying to my question. Since I posted, I have had a parastomal hernia repair of my urostomy in October. I was rushed by ambulance to the emergency room, and within two days, I had surgery to repair the hernia. I had an infection from the hernia, and it was entwined around the stoma. They had to do a bowel resection and never used mesh. The doctor said it would not be "easy," and he was right!!! After two months, I was discharged from the hospital just in time for Christmas! Needless to say, I couldn't do any shopping, but I was happy to be home, at last, and able to sleep in my own comfy bed. Presently, I am losing my hair due to heavy medication during my stay in the hospital. I hope it comes back soon. I am very particular about my hair!! Now it is really thin!!!!

I am being fitted for a belt for security. By the way, I have had my urostomy since '76.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all!!!
JamesArnod

From what I understand.....there is no proof that belts do anything to prevent or aid a hernia. However, I own both a 3" and a 4" New Hope belt as I somehow feel better with the support and the tightness of them. As well I put one on every time I change my appliance because I suspect it helps to stick it on better.

Jim