Help with my leaky stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Tampabay
Help with my leaky stoma!
HI! can anyone help me?
I had my first stoma surgery may 18, 2010, but it leaked and was in a crease and it was a reassessed one ,so the surgeon that did it agreed to redo it and move it higher and make me a budded one about 3/4 long, as I understand they do not leak ,so he agreed to another surgery on July 22 , I had a lot rough time with this second one and as he did move to the spot I told him , but he still made a short one of course it still leak but I hope it's because it still has the rod in so this Thursday I have an appointment and he's going to take the rod out and I hope after that it would not leak.
I would like to know from someone with a short stoma and how it works ? Is it true that the longer one do not leak as easy? Help!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weewee
i am a leaker also and i have a longer stoma and i just got told of a product called benzion compound and today is the first time i am using it its supposed to form a coating over the skin so that it slows down the sweating under the waffer plus there is a cement glue that comes in a 4 oz can i odered that also the benzion costs about 7 dollars where i am at and the cement will cost about 18 dollars you can buy the benzion and cement at your local medical supply store will know about the cement when it comes in so far i am using the benzion and holister medspray #7730 to hold the wafer on will let you know how it works for me later today and tomarrow
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
annie_nu2
My stoma is also recessed. It started out bigger, but as it healed it recessed and I couldn't get the wafers to stop leaking. Then I tried the convex wafer and it helped for awhile until it recessed some more. Now I use the convex wafers and an Eakin seal (waxy ring to help make it fit better. Now I don't have any leaks. I try to remember to change the wafer every week but sometimes it is a few days longer.
In October it will be 2 years since my surgery so I think it is pretty stable now.
Investigate the convex wafers and the appropriate seals from the same provider. It sure made a difference in my life.
Good luck!!
Pat
loren4life
I've only had two surgeries but the surgeon managed to create a second 'belly button' and that has caused early leaks, blowouts. But after I started wearing that little one inch ostomy belt which attaches to the pouch, I haven't had many leaks/blowouts. And I don't use any special sealants other than skin prep. But that second large dimple makes me wonder every day?!? Loren
junopete
Tampabay

sorry to hear about your stoma problems.
Your surgeon is one of many prefect examples of "clueless" surgeons.
Putting a stoma in a crease or more often to close to the naval.

That is one of many reason's why I preach know your surgeon and the procedure.

Good luck, perhaps they will get it right next time.

Rick.....

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lexus1
yes my stoma was placed too close to midline also. What is weird is the surgeon asked me to make a mark where I wanted it; I had no prior idea about the size of the wafer or that I would never wear zippered pants again; The stoma~nurse never mentioned anything about either issue. I have a semi-leaker, change out every 3 days. I hope you get relief after this surgery, best wishes from lex.
Pinky
Good grief! Sorry to hear so many horror stories about dumb surgeons and WOCNs. I can't imagine a surgeon asking the patient where to put the stoma!!!

Back to leaks - Tampa Bay - I also find the Eakins seals from Convatec helped my leakage problem, which resulted for me in constant red, itchy fungal infections around the stoma. Not so bad after I started using them, even in this recent high humidity. I make sure I change the whole system at least twice a week - my WOCN said even every two days might help.Good luck with finding your solution to a very common problem! Pam
weewee
well the benzion and med adhsive only held for 10 hours till a full blow out with running around for a couple hours it started leaking around one edge then the hole side wentnow i am waiting on the cement to try all three at one time
bes0642
Hello
I feel for you I had the same problems. I've had my stoma 5 years now and have learned quite a few things that may help you. My middle name was blow out Bob until I started doing the following. I also had a surgeon that misplaced my stoma. Mine is exactly on my belt line. Why they aren't more careful as to placement is perplexing to me. Anyway, I changed to a Hollister convex drainable pouch. I tried the glue but I was allergic to it because it caused a severe rash. Now I spend a lot of time cleaning the area around the stoma. First I use safe-N-simple peri-stoma wipes, then put on the stoma powder. Finally I wipe the powder off (leaving some) with safe-N-simple skin barrier NO-sting wipes. I'm able to keep the pouch on 7 to 10 days. However, I resolve myself to changing it every 7 days. Prior to me using the above procedure I was known as blowout Bob. That's not the case now. I've learned over the last 5 years a lot of things with regard to blowouts and how to manage my appliance. I hope this information helps. Good luck and keep up the good fight. You can get a ton of information from this site.
lottagelady
I'm able to keep the pouch on 7 to 10 days. However, I resolve myself to changing it every 7 days. Prior to me using the above procedure I was known as blowout Bob. That's not the case now.

7 - 10 days!!! OMG that's incredible! I do something quite similar regarding the procedure but my pouch (also a Hollister convex drainable) starts leaking around the ring at 3 days ..... I must have really acidic s**t or something!
Rach xx
dfinflorida
I have a normal length stoma, but I still had occasional leaks at first.
I now use Hollister adhesive spray on my barrier before applying it to my skin.
It increases the adhesiveness and helps to prevent leaks for me. The only time I get a leak is when my body prespires, such as when I am working in the yard, otherwise I haven't had a leak in many months.
I had my ileostomy 3 years ago and it has been trial and error to adjust to situations.
It does get better with time and knowledge.
Countryman
Regarding your leaks which are most unpleasant---if you havn't found the answer,try Welland Vie flushable pouches---the ring is very flexible and makes a good seal with the abdominal skin.
They are two piece and the inner bag is flushable.
I find them brilliant and they have revolutionised my routine.
Best wishes,
;Mike
Tampabay
Sir I like the idea of disposable liner but could you give me more info as to where I may get those bag in the USA, they sound like Haven sent.
Thank you so much.
(especially for me because I am in a wheel chair)
andyangiet
I feel for you. I have had an Ileostomy for a few years now and had a colostomy for many years before that. I had alot of problems with leaks, I use a two-piece convex with a skin barrier rings that go around the stoma before you put the wafer on. Since I had started using those I have had no skin problems. I had to switch from a one piece to a two piece because with the one piece was not working for me, I have alot of stomach scars and so it is uneven. I also use a ostomy belt which seems to hold it down and feel more secure.
Past Member

WOWEE, I'M SO ENVIOUS. I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO WEAR ONE FOR MORE THAN 3 DAYS- AND THATS PUSHING IT. XX

Xerxes
Tampabay,

May I ask, is the the same doctor performing all the prcedures? If so, perhaps you should report him to the AMA. Thank God you are alive.

X_