Odor Problems After Sigmoid Colostomy: From Rectum

Replies
Views
dlgates

I had a sigmoid colostomy on July 31st and am currently home after skilled nursing care and am having home health care (under managed Medicare). During the first three weeks, I had a small amount of mucous discharge from the "inactive" rectum (my sphincter is slightly open) but no serious problem with that. Then suddenly a couple days ago I woke up and wondered why I stank so bad! It had nothing to do with my pouch, etc., but the mucous discharge had greatly increased and I had to revert to wearing pull-up paper pants and changing them three times a day because the discharge was so odiferous. When I called my surgeon's office, I was told this was normal for a few weeks and not to worry unless it became much worse. I'm also having a bit of pain there now and having to take a couple pain pills a day--not to mention that it interferes somewhat with my physical therapy. I would really like to hear from those who have had a similar experience early on...

mazz

Hi, I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and I too get the mucus sometimes, quite a lot. The stoma nurses have told me it's normal and will happen from time to time, and it does hurt at first and gets sore. It will get better. I don't get the pain now and the smell is not as bad as it was. It still smells a bit, but nothing like when it first started. It was enough to make you sick. Now I pass it now and again, and when I do, I still get the urge to push like when I used to go to the toilet. Trust me, it will improve. It's early days yet. Hang in there.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.