Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,177 members

Do You Have To Pay For Your Supplies???

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted by Tasia, on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:01 am
I live in Atlanta GA and was dealt a devastating blow by my supplier and insurance company.  Insurance went up on my deductible for 2009 to $1000, and when I went to order my wafers, bags, skin prep and paste I nearly choked...they wanted me to pay full price which I just can not afford to do.

Right now I am not working full time due to chemo and the sickness that goes with and now that I can't afford my supplies, I have to scrounge for discount supplies or donations of supplies from people who no longer use what type I need, such as flextend wafer 2 3/4" flange, drainable pouches same size flange, paste, skin prep.

Nurse
Reply by Whoa, on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:21 pm
Tasia
I would call other companys and see if you can negotiate a lower rate until your deductible is met.  Some will discound 10-20% for cash.    Save receipts to deduct off income taxes later at least.    Also check with your local ostomy chapter....sometimes donated supplies are available and the members usually know which local dealers might be easier/cheaper to work with.  As I recommended to someone else, you might also call Hollister, Convatec, Coloplast if in the US, see if they have any programs which might assist you.

Hope some help comes your way.

Reply by sandib, on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 pm
How sad this is that we have no programs for people who can't afford their supplies.  Sadly to say...I checked all the companies that have Patient Assistance Programs and none of them have assistance for osteo patients.  I just can't believe this.  Guess I'll quit bitching about the 20% I have to pay.
Tasia look up my profile and send me your address to my email address and I'll send you the extra's that I have.  I've had people give me product, have lots of samples from companies that I can't wear. (Have VERY sensitive skin) Some may be outdated somewhat, but if you use the glue they would probably work for you until you could get what you use.

and Garlon wouldn't it be nice it we could just use a flippin band-aid.  OMG.....This is so crazy.  Maybe we should write our new pres. and tell him to give some of that $$$$ to pay for the product for those who need it.  Or maybe we should all move to the UK.

Nurse
Reply by Whoa, on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:53 pm
Tasia and all:

Tasia, just posted this for Julie on the forum, found a US website (by accident!  that may be able to asst. you with supplies.  I don't know anything other than what their website states.  Worth a try.

www.ostogroup.org

For those folks who end up changing product/sizes, etc. and have things you can no longer use, , there is a real need for supplies, US and world wide.  If you have extras, check with your  local ostomy assoc., or perhaps this group listed and  consider donating them.    Sweed who just posted says he has an organization too.  Lots of folks in need out there.

Reply by bearcat, on Wed May 20, 2009 10:42 am
i live here in deep east Texas and  have had an ileo for a year. my wife has cancer(14years) and i have medicare and military retirement ins. my wife's yearly bill with the doc and chemo is roughly $200,000.00, and last year we both had major operations and such and spent  right at $495,000.00.my out of pocket expense--0---. i do have to pay the $93.50 a month for medicare hospitalization , but if i can spent less than a 100 a month and get that kind of return i think i'm ahead of the game.
there is a site--- ostomyangels.com-- that have and give free supplies.. i think they ask for postage if you can, but no charge for supplies and i don't know for sure if they ship over he water, but you can try. i give all my extra stuff to them and they're based in Texas.
ya'll have a good day.

Reply by Mike, on Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 pm

vulcanBMk2 wrote:
Its strange reading through some peoples posts, that some of you have to pay for your Ostomy supplies. Here in the UK , I just go to the Docs.Sign my ready printed presciption & they send it direct to Charter Healthcare ( My Suppliers) 2-3 days later my supplies arrive , Delivered by Parcel Force.  I usually order every 4-5 weeks .  I get 30 Welland Uro pouches.. 30  Ptotective Wipes . 10 Colorplast Night bags, This company also throws in , Gratis, 2 packs disposal bags, 2 packs Dry wipes & 1 large general wet wipes.  I often complain about the British National Health Service... but my surgeon was brilliant... I get free supplies & I dont pay a penny!!! Very Happy
I'm here in California all I can say is thank god for health ins ,last year I paid about 300 a mionth but now on my new ins I have not paid a dime

Reply by Frenchie55, on Fri May 22, 2009 9:37 am
Hi,
How lucky you all are.  I live in NS Canada and I don't have a health plan because of the permanent ostomy and I have to pay everything from my pocket.  I was surprised to read that in Ontario, they receive so much per month, very good.  I've never heard of that here.  What channels of gov't did you go through?

Janice

Reply by Hoover, on Sat May 23, 2009 1:37 am
Frenchie55 - Manitoba covers 100%, but this was only after the UOA group lobbied the Govt for full coverage (prior to that - we had $300 deductible before Govt coverage.  If you're interested - talk to your local UOA about it.  Your local UOA can probably contact the MB group for info.  Persistance pays off!

Good luck!

(Message me if you need further info!)

Hoover

Reply by Frenchie55, on Sun May 24, 2009 9:30 pm
Thanks Hoover, I will enquire about it for sure.  What is UOA, not sure we have that around here.

Frenchie

Hoover wrote:
Frenchie55 - Manitoba covers 100%, but this was only after the UOA group lobbied the Govt for full coverage (prior to that - we had $300 deductible before Govt coverage.  If you're interested - talk to your local UOA about it.  Your local UOA can probably contact the MB group for info.  Persistance pays off!

Good luck!

(Message me if you need further info!)

Hoover

Reply by Hoover, on Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 am
Hi Frenchie-

UOA Is the United Ostomy Association.  There are chapters in NS - Antigonish, Cape Breton, Metro Halifax, Pictou County, SW Nova Scotia & Truro.  Not sure which one you are closest to!

Click on this link & it'll take you right to the National Website:

www.ostomycanada.ca/chapters

It took some work on the WInnipeg chapter's part to get the Provincial Health Dept to cover 100% but it was accomplished.

UOA is a worldwide association dedicated to dissemination of information regarding Ostomies and improving quality of live for Ostomates, etc.

Anyone else who is interested, suggest you Google United Ostomy Association for International Chapters.

Hope this Helps!

Hoover

Reply by mark, on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 pm
I can't believe how different the ostomy coverage around the world is. I guess that explains the difference in the prices of ostomy supplies in different countries. For example the ostomy supplies in Canada are cheaper than the ones in US. Why? Because there is government coverage I guess. Or is it the standard of living?

Reply by Gus, on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:42 am
But now here in Australia they are taliking about a user pays system similar to the United States. I wonder if they will include ostomy supplies, and other necessary items for thos with medical conditions. No offence to the folks in the US but your system really sucks for those who cant afford health cover.

Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:24 am
In the USA I get my supplies free because of military service, they are provided thru the VA Healthcare system.  I want to start irrigating my colo so that I can enjoy life a bit more. I am trying to get PLUGS which are small devices which can be interted into the stoma and taped over, they hold a small fluids that could escape.  These are avaiable in the UK and Australia but not here in the USA.  Can anyone help me?

Reply by JOEHEALTHCARE, on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm
Hollister, Coloplast and Convatec, give donations...Covatec for 3 months if you are unemployed...Ostogroup sends supplies , a $10 charge for delivery but you pay only 15% of retail price..

Reply by JOEHEALTHCARE, on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 pm
What's the best treatment for rash, redness or open wounds around the stoma,,? I get this around my stoma. I might be sensitive to the wafer since i have sensitive skin to begin with..Any help? Joe
Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.