Seeking Stoma-Friendly Pools in Blackpool

Replies
Views
Past Member
I use Coloplast Assura and have a similar problem. Where my jeans rub the edge of the flange. You might try these...

http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com/supply~HYDROFRAME-FLEXIBLE-HYDROCOLLOID-STRIPS-WAFH33~HYDROFRAME-FLEXIBLE-HYDROCOLLOID-STRIPS-WAFH33.htm

They help in my situation. MMsh
TwinRig

The only problem I had with my skin barrier ever coming off or being close to coming off was sweating it off during physical training at the Federal Police Academy over the last three months. I switched to a different type of barrier and had no more trouble.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,447 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

johnkimble

I used to compete in swimming before I had my surgery, and although I didn't know how to go about getting back into it initially, I came across support garments made by a company called Respond Plus (UK). I also use an Assura One-Piece bag.

Essentially, I used an elasticated support that goes around your tummy. I put two on for a snug fit. I trained in them regularly and only had a bag split a few times. This was due to increased output. Usually, I was careful with what I ate before I trained and I was fine.

When I competed, I was able to wear my racing bodysuit (which is now banned - although my competing days are now over). However, I find the supports handy as it keeps everything where it needs to be. If the bag does split, you can feel it instantly and make an exit for the toilets. Having two garments on meant if a bag did split, then nothing would show on the outside.

Hope this helps.

Faith4Today

Looks like we have a similar rig. Mine is a 2500 4x4 Dodge with a huge camper on it too. I use it so much I don't even bother taking it off. Great for a quick getaway and gives me a sense of security that wherever I am, I can make a quick change if the ostomy gets out of hand.
KEEP THE FAITH

kadhd

Immarsh--You sound quite similar to me, although you have dealt with the ileostomy longer than I have. I love the fact that you view the apparatus as part of your body--that is something that I need to work at, as it will help me to accept this very real, very permanent part of me--I've had either a colostomy or an ileostomy for the past 10 years, and it is time I changed my attitude. You gave me a new approach! AND I only recently realized that I was indeed able to go INTO the water wearing my appliance! Before I had avoided full immersion for fear of an appliance failure. How great to finally be brave enough to add water exercise to my list of capabilities!!!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
shellbob29again

You have a lot more courage than I do.

beatrice

Went swimming (creative not drowning) with hubby last evening; first time trying the new Sure Seal Ring (over the flange).

Had fun, but the flange still got wet (there is a tiny bit of flange right around the center that isn't covered by the SSR - like 1/8" at most) and then the glue started to melt and gravitate downwards. So the bottom quarter of my tape started to come away.

Did go into the hot tub for 10 minutes or so. Next time out I will omit that and see what happens.

Still trying stuff ...

Beatrice

joemenzies

I swim every day in the local pool, never a problem and you cannot be discriminated against.

freakyfairy

Hi people! I've had my ileostomy, Eric, since May 2010! I've always loved swimming and am an advanced diver and a water baby at heart but haven't got around to swimming yet until 3 days ago!
Personally, I don't care who sees my 'appliance'. I'm proud of Eric...he saved my life and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. And if people wanna stare or ridicule me, then it's their loss, not mine!
Anyway, I went to aquacise class the other night as my doctors have told me that the running and aerobics I was doing was doing more damage to me as my body still hasn't settled down yet and I was dehydrating...even with the electrolyte drinks, etc! So that leaves me with aquacize classes and walking. I used ostofix tape just to feel a bit more secure and wore an all-in-one swimsuit! I was 30 mins into the class and something didn't feel right, so I checked and found that Eric was naked!!! I excused myself from the class and went to sort him out! I dried off and reapplied the appliance...in full view of anyone who was about...and went back to the class but by the end, the flange was coming away again! I've never had problems like this in the shower/bath before! I use Assura 2 piece and they normally stick for England!!
So question, is it the chlorine that made him strip off or the action in the water or the fact I wasn't wearing a belt (I don't normally need to even when I used to run, a tight pair of knickers usually do the job!) or something else!
Do I really have to pay out nearly $50 for a special ostomate swimsuit? I'm out of work at the moment and don't have that kind of money!
Any help or advice is gratefully received as I so need to exercise to get rid of the bulk that has been acquired over 2 years of inactivity and nasty drug regimes!!
Luv'n'ugz to all x x

gutenberg
Primeboy

Based on my experience, you should not have to buy special swimwear. I have a high-output pouch which held up nicely after body surfing in the warm ocean, after swimming in chlorine-filled pools, and after soaking for 20+ minutes in a hot tub. If the flange is properly attached, everything else should stay in place. I suggest 'strongly' that you swim only at times when Eric is quiet and the bag is empty. You may find diving risky. There are cheaper items (wraps) you can use to keep the bag tight against your body; but, for me, I don't think they are essential.

Past Member

Dear Freaky,
I have found that swimming is not safe unless I've had my appliance on for at least 24 hours for some reason. Had you recently applied a new one before the aquacize class? And once it came unhinged, it just isn't wise to get right back in the water. The chlorine never hampered me but I've discovered through trial and error that I need to have a full day of "seasoning" before I go into the water.
I'm proud of you for going to that class though! I ought to get busy and do something like that myself.

Primeboy

Herc's right on this one. I always put a new appliance on the night before anything important. If it's going to leak, I want to know about it before it's too late. Be prepared as the Boy Scout Manual teaches.

sherl1

Hi Maureen, good to hear that you like swimming. Can't beat it, I say. I try and go once a week if I can. I just put on a small stoma cap like other urostomists use. Can recommend them. I am a full member of the Postal Urostomy Association, good to hear that you are a member as well. Take care. Mike.

bunzerella

I usually dry off the best I can, then put my shirt on, then take off my swimsuit. Works for me.

vickicat
Well done, Maureen! You're a star. x