Concerned about bleeding after urostomy - need advice!

Replies
Views
lampelady

I got on the site today with a problem I need help with and see that someone else has already started a string for it. I think my problem may be different though and I need input badly. I had a urostomy 2 years ago and never any problems. Sure, when I clean myself, if I accidentally rub the stoma it bleeds a little bit, but that is from the outside and it is normal. I hook my urine bag up to a jug at night so I won't have to empty it every couple of hours and can get a good night's sleep. Last Thursday, I woke up and had 4 chunks of bloody mucus in the tube going to the jug and at least 12 pieces of bloody mucus in my jug. I called the doctor immediately and he got me in that afternoon. (No blood in the bag for the appointment of course) but he scheduled me for a loop a gram at the hospital 4 days later. (I had the procedure yesterday) On Friday I had bloody mucus in my bag again, but no real blood in my urine that I could see. This is freaking me out. I'm worried about cancer again of course, that's why they took my bladder out in the first place. The loop a gram freaked me out too. They catheterized the stoma and pumped imaging dye into my kidneys and took pictures. I'm still waiting for results, but even if they say they didn't see anything, it doesn't mean there isn't something going on. They scoped my bladder 3 times before they found the cancer, but I kept going back because I had blood in my urine and I just knew if they would keep looking they would find it, which they did. I am crying several times a day over this and can't seem to stop. (My best friend is dying of ovarian cancer too which has made me an emotional wreck. Does anyone else have experience with this that you can tell me about? If it is cancer again I want them to catch it early before it kills me. Thanks for your help.
Linda

butterfly48

I'm new at this site for I have had my ileoscopy apx. 90 days and personally don't like it.
I am a married female, 61, and looking for a friend. I have been fighting cancer on and off for 20 years. I am in the health field and have worked for me up until now. If I were you, I would look at eating asparagus every day or take the pills. There's something in asparagus that kills cancer cells. I was told this by a cancer doctor. Another great product is Pau Darco Tea; it also will help kill cancer cells. That's what saved me all these years. I have had colon cancer twice, lymphatic, uterine, and now breast cancer, and I am complaining about my bag. I am trying to figure the right foods to eat to satisfy my bag and not satisfy my cancer.
Good luck! Write me if you want to be friends.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lampelady

Hi Butterfly,
I'm sorry to hear you are going through breast cancer now on top of everything else. I started out with breast cancer 12 years ago and they removed both of them. I went through the tortures of the damned to have reconstructive surgery. Probably because I figured if they weren't real, they might as well make my teeny little AA's into a pair of F's. Took a long time to stretch my skin out that much. They are rather heavy to carry around on my 109lb body, but I viewed them as the silver lining in my big black cloud and bounced right back. There was no silver lining when they took my bladder out two years ago and I had to start wearing this pee bag taped to my stomach. But, I guess we do what we gotta do. I'm alive and I'm glad I'm alive, but I sometimes feel like I'm just waiting to see where I get cancer next and hope it's a body part I can live without. Thanks for the input on the tea and the asparagus. I love asparagus, but usually it's around $6.00 a pound. I hope the pills are cheaper. I live alone and I'm on disability, so not a lot of extra cash.
I would like to be your friend, but would like to be able to speak from my heart without the rest of the world reading everything I say. If you can figure out how we can make that work, let me know.
I will pray your battle with breast cancer is a small one.
Linda

butterfly48

Glad to hear from you, it sounds like you and I really have been through a lot. You can get
the asparagus pills from Herbal Bay out of Portland, OR. Their phone number is:
1-503-961-5004. The product runs $39.95 for 120 capsules. You can also just eat asparagus
out of a can. Grant you, it doesn't taste so good. What I was told is that asparagus is one of
the few vegetables that hasn't been sprayed or altered. So, because of its purity, that's why
it works so great for cancer patients. And you're right, what next will the cancer take in organs?
They told me I have Castleman's syndrome. It is a cancer gene that gives you many cancers.
I also want to say I found out that eating marshmallows will slow down my bag from running.
Just tried it last night and was able to shower and change my bag without too much problem.
But I still hate the side effects of this bag. You take care, keep writing and we will figure out
someway to help each other. Also, you may want to check to see if Medicaid would work better
for you than Medicare since you're under 65. My husband's English and wants to go back to
England. He claims we would have a less stressful lifestyle, and we could retire there. Take care
Butterfly48

lampelady

Marshmallows, huh? A great idea if it works. I need to put on a little weight too. How soon before you change your bag do you need to eat them? How many do you eat? I change my bag every 5 days in the morning before I drink too much coffee, and I find that after breakfast is never a good time. Food seems to make it more active (worse than drinking fluids). I take the bag off before I get in the shower and put a new one on when I get out, while I am standing up in front of a mirror. I set a magnifying mirror on the edge of the bathroom vanity where it's close to my body and it's about the right height. I had a visiting nurse for the first couple of weeks after I got out of the hospital and she suggested that I didn't have to do it lying on my back in bed, like they showed me in the hospital. Sometimes the pressure is so strong, the urine shoots out several feet. If eating marshmallows helps stop the flow, it would take a lot of stress out of the changing process.

So, what side effects of the bag are you hating? I've been experimenting with the product for 2 years now and I can even go swimming in the lake or pool several days in a row without having to worry about my bag coming loose. Maybe I can help you with something.
Regards,
Linda

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
gutenberg
To Lampelady and Butterfly: after reading your stories i will be thinking of them next time I start bitching even though I got my ileostomy because of a royal screw up and three ops later I have a permanent Ileostomy.
I read you would like to communicate without it showing up in the forums so I'll try to impart the little knowledge I have gained from some dear friends on here.
So here goes, when you log on click on the HOME button and it will show all the forums and such, right below the word forums you will see chat rooms and usually how many are in there, click on chat rooms and the full screen will show up, now if you click on your name a drop down box will appear and you will see private and if you're both on you invite the other by clicking on their name and now you can have a private chat and no one else can see what you are saying, I'm sure with a little time you will be able to figure it out. I wish you both the best,
I'm sure others could explain this a lot better and hope if I got anything wrong thet will let you know, all the best Ed
churner1

Hi Lamplady, I had similar problems to you and had lots of tests also. Turns out I am prone to recurring infections. I am now on long-term low dosage antibiotics which has cleared things up. Might be something similar in your case. Good luck.