Flange Comes Off if Wet

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Tampabay

Hi, I have a question in reply to swimming with an ostomy. I had been wondering all along. I know a lot of ostomates say they swim. I have had my colostomy for 2 months and I don't even take a shower without covering it with plastic because once it gets wet, it comes off. I use a 2-piece system.
Please let me know, am I doing something wrong? I am now wondering, how does everybody take a shower?
Thank you, your input is appreciated.
Tampabay

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Hi, something is definitely not right there... How long do you manage to keep it on if you haven't got it wet? Do you change it just before you shower? I often find that mine sticks better when I have had a bath - almost like the warm water has helped it to adhere more... Bit more info required I think, but am sure someone will be able to help you out...
Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
CALYPSO
Hi Tampabay,
My idea of heaven is standing/sitting in the shower without anything stuck to my body.
The only time I feel really clean is when the warm water is gently flowing. I shower in the morning before breakfast, while my gut is still asleep, sometimes there is 'activity' but it's only slight and going straight down the plughole. I use a single pouch for my ileostomy and double for a fistula on my tummy.....talk about bag lady! I admit to having trouble with both appliances but the shower is the one place I enjoy.

Stop bothering to keep it dry, get into the shower without the flange and enjoy!

Kindest regards
Angela
Past Member

I must say, I was wondering the same about swimming....if I get the back of the wafer (Coloplast 2 piece) wet, the glue gets soapy and the adhesion is lost..... therefore, when I shower, I put a strip of 3M 'Transport' (that is its brand name) tape across the top and down each side... I use ONLY this brand of tape as others I've tried don't seem to stick as well... Also, if the wafer lifts away from the skin, I tape it down, thus allowing the glue to activate again with body heat and restick... I also do this if it is really hot (the glue is known to be perspiration-friendly), driving for an extended period, or out sailing where I am constantly bending over, etc. Doing so, I usually get 6 to 7 days before I have to change the wafer.... Back to swimming... does anyone have a way to swim and not have to change their wafer... if so, a how-to would be appreciated. Thanks.

Urostomy Guy

Hi, what brand of bag do you use? I have been using HOLLISTER bags for 2 years and never have one problem. I take showers and swim, although after a shower I use a hairdryer on low and dry the adhesive area.
Urostomy Guy

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Hi Bradenton;

I shower and swim with both my appliances on. I use a 2-piece colostomy and a 1-piece urostomy. I "picture frame" the flange with Nexcare Waterproof Tape. You can buy this at Wal-Mart/Target/CVS for about $4.00 a roll. Swimming in a pool with chlorine or saltwater ocean tends to lessen the time between changes. Showering has no effect on that time.
Please keep in mind that even after 2 months, your stoma and area are changing, so it could be another couple of months before that area settles down.
beatrice
Here is my experience (2-piece Convatec system).

Showering: I shower with my appliance on. If it's a longer shower, the adhesive does start to peel away from the body. And I can tell that the glue overall is mushy. This is especially true if the flange has been on for 4+ days (I get 6 days from the flange portion). If it's the first or second day for the flange ... not so much softening of the glue/peeling.

Swimming: I must be hot stuff - because lake/pool swimming causes the same as above.

Hot tub/bathtub: flange portion loosens after about 10 minutes - so I do neither of these right now.

Looking into Sure Seal Rings. I have used tape, but for it to be effective, I have to cover the entire adhesive area.
sherrybear

I see Glad Wrap Seal, it works great. I also swim. I have had my mate since Feb. 16. It is on my left side. I went to a smaller wafer and it holds a long time. Don't be afraid to shower.

Past Member

You haven't had your ostomy long, so perhaps your skin is still getting used to the adhesive. Maybe try a different product (all the companies send out freebies) to see if another works. If you get a good seal when you first put the flange on, it will be right for showering and bathing. Mine lasts at least a week and I shower every day (have to, it wakes me up!). I also occasionally "picture frame" the flange with HydroFrame (a Welland product) which is available from most ostomy suppliers. There ain't nothing getting out or into this stuff! Even if you do spring a leak, the HydroFrame holds it until you can find a bathroom!

Hope you find a solution, I can imagine how frustrating it must be.

lottagelady

I also occasionally "picture frame" the flange with HydroFrame (a Welland product) which is available from most ostomy suppliers. There ain't nothing getting out or into this stuff! Even if you do spring a leak, the HydroFrame holds it until you can find a bathroom!

Ha - I use that and it, and my pouch often let me down - a notable time was last week when it was running down my leg in Marks and Spencers - was almost in my shoes by the time I had driven home!!!! Good job it was throwing it down with rain at the time, everyone was soaked, but maybe not quite as whiffy! Grrrrrrrrrrr

Tampabay
Thank you all for your replies, but the problem I am having now is that it does not stick to me any longer than a day. I use 2 pieces of Convatec, but I did try others with no better results. I feel I am at the end of my rope. I don't know what to do, so reading about how you can keep it on for a week, I cannot understand what am I doing wrong? I have an ostomy nurse and she keeps telling me not to get upset, we will figure it out, but it's so frustrating. If anyone out there can think of anything, please, please let me know. I do take a shower every day with it off because it does fall off. Out of the shower, the tape around the flange just lifts up and I have used every tape you have mentioned, they just don't hold. Also, they are tearing my skin off. Thanks for listening.
ostralian

Hi Tampa Bay
I use a one-piece Coloplast pouch and though it was fine for years, I found as I got older I started to get a few wrinkles around the stoma area (and other places!!) and got a few small leaks. I now use Eakin Seals (Eakin Slims 839005) under my appliance and find they are marvelous. No more leaks since then. I also use 1" Micropore tape to hold the pouch in place more securely. The seals can be stretched and molded to fit around the stoma. I shower with it all in place, and don't have any problems with it coming loose.

Tricia