Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

Plantain & broccoli fiber could help relapses of Crohn's

Posted by lottagelady, on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm
Thought this may be of interest to some of my pals out there ....

From Yahoo News - Thursday 26th August 2010

The research tested a range of soluble plant fibre to judge their effect on Crohn's disease. Soluble plant fibre is the kind which comes out of vegetables when they are boiled in water.

The research found that soluble fibre from plantain and broccoli specifically stopped the bacteria E.coli from crossing into cells in the intestine.

Professor Jonathan Rhodes, from the University School of Clinical Sciences in Liverpool, who worked on the study, said: "What's interesting about this paper is that it shows, for the first time, that soluble plant fibre is able to stop bacteria from finding its way through the lining of the intestine."

Plantain and broccoli soluble fibre reduced transmission of E.coli by between 45% and 82%. Fibre from leek and apple had no effect while fat emulsifiers increased transmission of the bacteria.

The laboratory research, published in the journal Gut, was confirmed in tissue samples taken from patients undergoing surgery for other gut disorders. Prof Rhodes and his colleagues are now carrying out a clinical trial involving 76 sufferers of Crohn's to test the effect in people. "It may be that it makes sense for sufferers of Crohn's to take supplements of these fibres to help prevent relapse," he said.

The authors noted that India and Central America, where plantains form an central part of the diet, have low rates for inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:27 pm
Thanks for the info Rach, I do remember reading something similar a few years ago and believe there is some truth to the "soluble fibre" theory.  I know that way back when the Crohn's was on the flare that a banana was about the only thing I could keep down.

I  also read a study that Crohn's/colitis is on the increase in some Asian countries that have developed Western eating habits.  

The fact that bowel disease is more prevalent in Western Society and always has been, there has to be a link to diet methinks.  In other words steer clear of the Macca's and get stuck into the fruit&veg folks!  Which ain't great for peeps who already have the disease, perhaps for future generations though, prevention better than cure an all.  Hindsight is a fine thing hey!

Not something I have to worry about anymore thanks to my permanent attachment!

Cheers and good health mate,

Jo x  
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.