Plantain & Broccoli Fiber Could Help Relapses of Crohn's

Replies
Views
lottagelady
Thought this may be of interest to some of my pals out there ....

From Yahoo News - Thursday 26th August 2010

The research tested a range of soluble plant fiber to judge their effect on Crohn's disease. Soluble plant fiber is the kind which comes out of vegetables when they are boiled in water.

The research found that soluble fiber from plantain and broccoli specifically stopped the bacteria E.coli from crossing into cells in the intestine.

Professor Jonathan Rhodes, from the University School of Clinical Sciences in Liverpool, who worked on the study, said: "What's interesting about this paper is that it shows, for the first time, that soluble plant fiber is able to stop bacteria from finding its way through the lining of the intestine."

Plantain and broccoli soluble fiber reduced transmission of E.coli by between 45% and 82%. Fiber from leek and apple had no effect while fat emulsifiers increased transmission of the bacteria.

The laboratory research, published in the journal Gut, was confirmed in tissue samples taken from patients undergoing surgery for other gut disorders. Prof Rhodes and his colleagues are now carrying out a clinical trial involving 76 sufferers of Crohn's to test the effect in people. "It may be that it makes sense for sufferers of Crohn's to take supplements of these fibers to help prevent relapse," he said.

The authors noted that India and Central America, where plantains form a central part of the diet, have low rates for inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Thanks for the info, Rach. I do remember reading something similar a few years ago and believe there is some truth to the "soluble fiber" theory. I know that way back when the Crohn's was on the flare, a banana was about the only thing I could keep down.

I also read a study that Crohn's/colitis is on the increase in some Asian countries that have developed Western eating habits.

The fact that bowel disease is more prevalent in Western society and always has been, there has to be a link to diet, methinks. In other words, steer clear of the Macca's and get stuck into the fruit and veg, folks! Which ain't great for peeps who already have the disease, perhaps for future generations though, prevention is better than cure and all. Hindsight is a fine thing, hey!

Not something I have to worry about anymore thanks to my permanent attachment!

Cheers and good health, mate,

Jo x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate