New to the world of a colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ok girl
Well, here is the story. I am 71, going to be 72 next month. I had an infection and came out with an ileostomy on one side and a mucus fistula on the other. I had that for 3 months and was the 3 months from ____. The doctor got the stoma pointing sideways so the flange would not stay on and my skin blistered, so we went back in and he gave me a colostomy where the mucus fistula was. Everything has been great, but I have so many questions and can't say that I have any use for the sad support here. Okay, the doctor said eat anything you want and out he went. I have questions on what not to eat with a colostomy and I have to take so many supplements. I take iron, potassium, magnesium, vitamin D, and so on every day. How come you all are so active? That is some of the questions I have. I have more stored up, but this will be a start, as it took me almost a year after all the surgeries and stuff just to get all my memory back. LOL I am still working on it. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bearcat

I am 68 and have an ileostomy (2 years) and know nothing about a colostomy, but I can tell you I eat what I want. You can too, but you have to start slow. If you want it, try a small portion, chew, chew, and then chew some more. Also, drink a lot while eating. If it goes down and doesn't bother you, then you can probably keep eating it. It's a trial and error process. Really, I eat coleslaw, salads, nuts, popcorn. I stay away from anything you have to eat with a skin on it, i.e. hot dogs, link sausage. I can eat grapes (both colors). Any fish products can cause an odor in the bag (Hollister M9) helps with that. That's a good bit for now, go slow but try. Also, I hope you have a WCON nurse available for questions.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Marines1967

Hello Ok Girl, I am 60 and had my colonoscopy done 7 years ago last March, due to diverticulitis. I eat everything. Like Bearcat says, trial and error. Good luck, my friend.

Marines1967

gutenberg
Hi there ok girl, I'm a 69 year old with an ileostomy and the best advice I got was from a VON nurse who said to eat anything you feel like and if it bothers you, well, don't eat it again, sure made my day. And let me say welcome, i'm sure you'll get a lot of answers on here as there are some really great people who have helped make my life more bearable and I'm sure you will find the same, Ed
ok girl

Thank you all so much for your replies. It's so nice to hear from others who can answer questions that we have. And no, I do not have a good nurse. Do you all have trouble eating rice and pasta? Thanks again. It's nice to have someone to talk to.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
florida-val

The only thing I find with rice and pasta is that I get full very quickly and with rice especially I feel bloated if I have too much of it.
I have had a colostomy and then an ileostomy since 1983 and really have been very lucky with having few issues. The only bad experience I had was I got carried away with a bag of cashews and got a blockage, which after a few hours of much pain finally pushed their way through. Other than that, I had only one other thing bother me and that was the skin on a plum. So, it's really a matter of testing things and chewing everything very well.

Jojoslife

I have learned not to eat too many dried apricots in one go with my colostomy.

ok girl

Thanks everyone, I know we are all different and I see that a lot of you irrigate, I do not. Because of that, I go 24-7 unless I do not eat in the morning then I can have a nothing day. Rice and pasta seem to make nothing but water for almost 24 hours, is that a blockage? Sorry for all the questions but I have a million of them.

lottagelady

I have to say rice and pasta thicken my output up, sounds like it might be blocking you up a bit - are you drinking plenty when you have it? May be worth upping the fluids .... I take it that you don't get pain with it?
Rach xxx
Pinky
Hi OK - I don't have any trouble with rice, but pasta (especially regular spaghetti) can really block me up. Or give me a movement in the middle of the night (ditto pancakes and commercially prepared cake).

When I had my first colostomy in 2003, I had problems with it running all the time. My surgeon said "Why don't you take Imodium?" So I started taking 1 every day. My output became completely regular - 6 am/12 noon/6 pm. I also just read an article in the Phoenix magazine written by a WOCN also saying if you want to halt output for a while "for a special occasion" (ha, ha) to take Imodium. I believe she said a person could take several A DAY without any problems! That seems like a lot to me!

I irrigate now, but have some issues lately with "breakthrough" output in the evening so I'm thinking about taking 1 Imodium a day to try to get more regular.
DJ Sunfire

Hi, I am 41 years old and have had a colostomy for just about all my life. So far, I eat anything I want. The only thing I don't eat and was told not to eat much of is corn. Corn doesn't digest in anyone's digestive system and there are no problems, but with a colostomy, they say it can cut into the bowel wall and cause a problem. I only eat a very little when my mom makes chicken corn soup, but I try to get as little corn as I can. Other than that, I say eat what makes you happy.

Tiggy

My husband isn't quite in the age range you're talking about, but I felt like leaving a message to implore you to find yourself a good ostomy nurse. I can't imagine what my husband and I would have gone through if we didn't know a very kind-hearted and competent ostomy care nurse to help us through the first few weeks/months of his new ileostomy. I'm sure at your local hospital there are a few wound/ostomy nurses on staff who would be glad to answer any of your questions and address your concerns.

And, if I may be so bold, it doesn't sound like your doctor has a very good bedside manner. I can't stand hearing about physicians who just give curt responses then walk out on their confused patients. It might be time to switch doctors, in my opinion.

Best of luck and keep us posted!