Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,331 members

Soap

Posted by ok girl, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:48 pm
Would like to know what kind of soap to use on my skin. what does everyone use, I know ho lotion in it but not sure what to use.
Reply by Pinky, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:23 pm
I use a soap recommended by my WOCN called "Purpose" by Johnson and Johnson.  It comes in a bar (cheap and lasts a long time) or pump bottle.  It is unscented and has no oils in it.  I get mine at Target.   Smile
Reply by weewee, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:21 pm
good ol ivory soap works no scent no oils
Reply by ok girl, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 pm
Thank you so much, I love this sight and the help that you all give each other. It is so nice to have somewhere to turn.
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:11 pm
Hi sweetie Smile  Your Doe here...yeah this site can be quite helpful and so many new friends with great advice and info Wink    Hey I'm with Weewee on the soap issue....I use Ivory as well...stay away from the oils and perfumed soaps, but especially the oils, things don't stick so good otherwise :/    actually seems the same with many Skin Preps, they 'burn' but also actually often times prevent the tapes on our bags to stick as well to our skin......one of those situations where the old saying 'sometimes less is more' qualifies SmileSmile   Good luck honey SmileSmile
Reply by Pinky, on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:45 pm
Try Derma-Rite "Sting Free" skin prep - it never burns my skin - in fact, if I have a bit of a rash it actually soothes it - and I don't have any problem with my Hollister wafer sticking.

If, on the other hand you don't need it - I agree - less IS better.    Smile
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:14 am
I use Ivory and only Ivory for 31 years. As said above, stay away from perfumed and oil soaps. They are a disaster.
Reply by Tiggy, on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:16 pm
My husband is an ileostomate and he always uses either Irish Springs or Ivory soap in the shower. But, when his bag is off, he doesn't give a scrubbing to his peristomal area. What he does is just very gently wipe it, and let lots of water get on it. I'd be very careful about putting any soaps or scented products near that area, just because the skin is a little more compromised there than say in your armpit or back.

Ultimately you will find out what works best for you!
Reply by crazycatlady, on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:32 am
Hi, I always change my bag in the shower and use shower gel to clean my whole body - including my peristomal area. I tend to use the baby shower gels as they are great for sensitive skin - I love Johnsons! I love baths as well and use any bubble bath, then change my bag when I get out. Stay away from bath oils tho! That was a mistake hehe   !!!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.