Soap

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ok girl

Would like to know what kind of soap to use on my skin. What does everyone use? I know no lotion in it but not sure what to use.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky

I use a soap recommended by my WOCN called "Purpose" by Johnson & Johnson. It comes in a bar (cheap and lasts a long time) or pump bottle. It is unscented and has no oils in it. I get mine at Target.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee

Good old Ivory soap works. No scent, no oils.

ok girl

Thank you so much, I love this site and the help that you all give each other. It is so nice to have somewhere to turn.

WOUNDED DOE

Hi sweetie, your Doe here... Yeah, this site can be quite helpful and there are so many new friends with great advice and info. Hey, I'm with Weewee on the soap issue... I use Ivory as well. Stay away from the oils and perfumed soaps, but especially the oils. Things don't stick so well otherwise :/ Actually, it seems the same with many skin preps. They 'burn', but they also often prevent the tapes on our bags from sticking to our skin. It's one of those situations where the old saying 'sometimes less is more' applies. Good luck, honey.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

Try Derma-Rite "Sting Free" skin prep - it never burns my skin - in fact, if I have a bit of a rash it actually soothes it - and I don't have any problem with my Hollister wafer sticking.

If, on the other hand, you don't need it - I agree - less is better.

Past Member

I use Ivory and only Ivory for 31 years. As said above, stay away from perfumed and oil soaps. They are a disaster.

Tiggy

My husband is an ileostomate and he always uses either Irish Springs or Ivory soap in the shower. But, when his bag is off, he doesn't give a scrubbing to his peristomal area. What he does is just very gently wipe it, and let lots of water get on it. I'd be very careful about putting any soaps or scented products near that area, just because the skin is a little more compromised there than say in your armpit or back.

Ultimately, you will find out what works best for you!

crazycatlady

Hi, I always change my bag in the shower and use shower gel to clean my whole body - including my peristomal area. I tend to use the baby shower gels as they are great for sensitive skin - I love Johnson's! I love baths as well and use any bubble bath, then change my bag when I get out. Stay away from bath oils though! That was a mistake hehe!!!