Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,331 members

Taking liquids on the plane. up to Lanzarote

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:38 pm
  HOPE someone CAN HELP ME.  WE ARE GOING TO LANZAROTE FOR OUR RUBY ANNIVERSARY.
             WHEN I FLY, I ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE SIPS OF 'DIORALYTE' SACHETS, BECAUSE I GET BLOCKED-UP WHEN STRESSED.
             I NEED TO ASK MY GP FOR A LETTER AGREEING  TO CARRY LIQUIDS ON BOARD FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES, BUT I
             CAN'T EVEN THINK HOW TO WRITE TO HIM.  IT HAS TO BE PUT IN WRITING TO MY GP, BEFORE ANYTHING IS DONE.
             I ONLY HAVE 2 MORE DAYS, AND I'M IN SUCH A PANIC OVER THIS.
             PLEASE HELP ME DRAFT A LETTER.  I FEEL FOOLISH, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHO TO ASK.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:56 pm
Hi Skeeter,

Perhaps something like...

"This is to certify that that the person named on this certificate needs to carry fluids/liquids for medical reasons and will need to carry them with her at all times."

Just as a rough guide.  Am sure your GP will have a standard type of letter/document he gives to patients who are travelling (I know mine does).  You shouldn't be embarrassed about this, I also carry the standard ostomy letter, so when security is rifling through my bag they know what to expect.

If you have sachets of Dioralyte can you not just mix them with water when on the plane?  Sorry I have never needed to carry liquid on my travels so am unsure as to what you mean.

Happy 40th anniversary by the way!

Happy holidays,
Jo x
Reply by bearcat, on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm
it might be wise for the GP to indicate what liquid your have to take and the reason for taking it..........
Reply by Davjag, on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:12 pm
Three years ago I travelled to Australia from the U.S. I carried 8 bottles of Gatorade on the plane due to a dehydration issues I have with my illeostomy. I had a note from my doctor stating I needed the Gatorade for my medical issues. Security passed me without any problems.

I realize you have left for your trip but this may help you and others int he future.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:16 pm
thanks for replying though.  hopefully i'll be more 'sorted' for my next trip.  anne
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.