Lumps

In this discussion
Replies
Views
faith777

Hi, I had a stoma put in on 24/06/2010. I was in the hospital for six weeks. A few weeks after being home, I felt a hard sort of swelling near the stoma. Our local doctor does not know much, so I was going to tell the surgeon when I saw him, but he moved my appointment till next month.
Now I have a hard lump above the stoma. I can only feel the lumps when I am standing. They fit into my cupped palm.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Faith

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Hi Faith, hmmm....hernias maybe?? If that be the case, it's quite common I hear. Hard to say, I'm glad you will be seeing your surgeon, that is a very good idea....but if you get too uncomfortable before that appointment, try to see another one, don't wait.....let us know how you're doing

~Love from your Doe

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady

Hi Faith - sounds like hernias to me too .....

Not a great deal they can do about them until they cause you a lot of trouble ... suggest in the meantime you wear some sort of support to prevent them from growing any larger.

Sorry to be the bearer of probable bad news....
Rach xxx

WOUNDED DOE

Good idea, Rachey... supporting that area, just in case.

faith777

Thanks for the replies everyone. The hospital never told me about hernias. I hope it is not that.

I only found out on this site that you could get them, and I thought that you would have to lift things to get one. My family will not let me lift anything as my main wound still has not closed up yet. I think I will try a different local doctor this week and see if he knows more than the last one. Thanks again.
Faith

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
lottagelady
Sorry Faith - I think you will find just a sneeze or a cough can set them off - especially if your wound isn't yet healed, just cutting into the abdominal wall has created a weakness ....... That is what initially set mine off I think, then horse riding did the rest (however I was 2 years post-op by then) Maybe google some incisional and parastomal hernia images and see if they relate at all - there are some huge ones pictured on one of my earlier blogs which are very similar to mine.

However - to some people they can cause no problems at all, it is generally when they get to a ridiculous size like mine (football!) that they need sorting - but even after repair there is a 50% chance of them returning.

Don't want to frighten you, just inform ... if you can get some light support on there it may help...
Take care
Rach xxx
WOUNDED DOE

Yes!! Reminds me.....Faith also watch your lifting, be careful! So much time passed by, I had forgotten I once had a hernia from lifting something too heavy ....I was hoisting an injured deer into the back of my Rescue jeep....that did it ....threw out a few more things in the process lol ....had surgery to have it fixed, it was small luckily but happened nonetheless......but I have heard that apparently those of us with an ostomy are especially prone to hernias and like Rachel said, they can happen quite easily .....you will be ok dear....but good luck with this just be extra careful until you know what's going on

~Love from your Doe

bearcat

I would guess it's a hernia of some sort. Usually hernias will protrude when standing or sitting and will retreat back into the body when laying down. Most doctors won't mess with them until they cause a problem (pain, appliance not sticking properly, etc). As already mentioned, the operation is 50-50 at best. Mine came back in 4 months. And above all, remember that the stoma itself is a small man-made hernia.

faith777

Thanks again. Hope to get to DR this week.
Bye, Faith.

Tiggy

Unfortunately, I'll have to agree with the other posts. It sounds like you might be forming a peristomal hernia. The good news is that there are fixes for this, but the bad news is that if it isn't extreme or impeding your life and comfort in any way, you might not want to bother.

Best of luck though, hernias are very common with stoma surgery. Hang in there and keep us posted!