Meet and talk to 20,116 OstoMates

Full Body Scans At Airports

Posted by maharajh, on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:36 pm
How does everyone feel about these scans<<<<<<< our lil secret would be exposed..
I  personally find it to be a violation.. and WILL NOT FLY.....

Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:00 am
Hi
maharajh Smile  Well...obvisously our Security, especially after monsterous attacks from terrorists, is priority and it's amazing what we have to do to be safe these days.......BUT.......you are right hun, it IS a violation in the minds of many of us....some it wouldn't bother at all...some would feel violated....someone like myself would freak out and things would take a bit of a wayward turn..probly end up in the media.   I don't / won't fly anymore either but it has nothing to do with that...however....if I were to overcome my fear of flying these days and give it a go, that scanner and I would lock horns....and one way or the other, I would leave the airport.  :/

Reply by junopete, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:07 am
I have to tell you. As for me I could have cared less who knew what.
I dance often.  I would get out of the hospital and be on the floor sometimes within 2 weeks, hurting yes, you bet cha. I would be asked, "Rick" where have you been?  I would simply tell them getting my ostomy overhauled.   Some would ask what's an Ostomy, I would simply say it's a bag I have to wear.  They would always ask are you it wearing now?  Of course I replied I have to, it's part of me these days.  Oh, OK then we would dance.
That simple that easy.
Yes the Ostomys do have a an impact on our lives, but they don't control us.  No way in Hell!

I can't believe anyone would refuse  to fly.  The little "Secret" revealed.  There is no secret.
Get off it, that attitude is what hurts most people with ostomys.  There own image is terribly damaged enough as it is.

Rick.....

Reply by thewall72335, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:48 am
Pardon my typing, am using my cellphone and it's hard to type.  I recently flew to Las Vegas for vacation.  Mccarren Airport is one of the few with the new short wavelength full body scanners, I went through with no issues at all.  If security saw my ileostomy appliance, they said nothing.  I don't feel violated nor ashamed about wearing this bag.  I'm alive, I travel and do what I want.

Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:31 am

junopete wrote:
I have to tell you. As for me I could have cared less who knew what.
I dance often.  I would get out of the hospital and be on the floor sometimes within 2 weeks, hurting yes, you bet cha. I would be asked, "Rick" where have you been?  I would simply tell them getting my ostomy overhauled.   Some would ask what's an Ostomy, I would simply say it's a bag I have to wear.  They would always ask are you it wearing now?  Of course I replied I have to, it's part of me these days.  Oh, OK then we would dance. That simple that easy. Yes the Ostomys do have a an impact on our lives, but they don't control us.  No way in Hell!
I can't believe anyone would refuse  to fly.  The little "Secret" revealed.  There is no secret.
Get off it, that attitude is what hurts most people with ostomys
.  There own image is terribly damaged enough as it is.

Rick.....

Well, that first paragraph was great and inspiring.....my osotmy has never stopped me from doing anything in life either...yet...I am quite active and always on the go, doesn't stop me from dancing either, or swimming or kayaking, or any of the other countless things I always seem to be doing, ...and it never will stop me from doing anything I WANT to do.........but the privacy issue is a different subject.....

......which brings us to that little second paragraph of yours .....I don't know what it is about you Rick but sometimes you just can't seem to post without injecting some sort of rude statement in there somewhere....  

"Get off it" ??!!!  

....Listen up!  ... there is no need to insult someone's choice of privacy when it comes to their body!!  I don't care what situation it's in!..... It's no different than a woman who may have had a breast removed or any other type of situation that one may wish to keep private, ....in fact,..... there need not BE a medical or physical 'situation' at all, many people WITHOUT an ostomy feel violated and take offense to those scanners.....

.....some people have reservations, for WHATEVER their reason, about others seeing their bodies beneath their clothes......there is NOTHING wrong with wanting to keep one's body private and out of view of others! .....AND!!....A person's individual choice to keep their ostomy secret does NOT  "hurt most people with an ostomy" that is bullcrap!!  If you don't mind people seeing your ostomy, GREAT!......but if an ostomate does not wish for anyone else to see it, they shouldn't be made to feel bad about it....THAT is wrong!! ....again, it's a matter of individual choice and has nothing to do with anyone else!!    

If it's chosing a method of travel....if it's chosing to expose your body or your ostomy....etc....NO one needs to be told to "Get off it!" or told that if you don't expose yourself that it's "hurting" other people.... No private, personal choice need be stepped on and that person made to feel like they have done something wrong ....THAT is hurting someone!!! ...in situations like this, the individual's OWN personal choice is the right one!

maharajh dear ....you just do whatever you are comfortable with in such a situation, as will everyone else.  As for flying itself, I used to LOVE to fly! Smile  I think in the past I have detailed why I no longer use air travel, which I won't get into now, has nothing to do with the ostomy,  but hey....we all do our own thing Wink  Smile

Reply by janice, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:57 am
Well said my dear doe!

WAB
Reply by WAB, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:10 am
I am sure Rick meant well..............and I am sure airport security now has been informed of people having a colostomy, etc..............................if not then they should be........common sense tells me they have been informed....about passengers  with medical conditions.......

I never had any problems..................and Rick is just pushing the point that it is all in your attitude........................

security.......well ...................I did panick before ...and did not fly...........however I got over it.. now I carry my supplies with me...I also carry a letter from my surgeon.........in case they want to do a body check........................it can happen..........

Just think..if it does happen and you are stopped at security................then you are educating someone...........they will know what it is.......and make a note of it..........is all in your attitude...................

Privacy is an issue......for sure...........and I agree some people are........more sensitive.....

Body scans are intrusive ..but now necessary.........we live in a crazy world.......

Reply by KennyT, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:56 am
I think it would be fair to assume that each and every one of us who has an ostomy would have some form of negativity concerning our physical appearance no matter how minute or great they may be. It is human nature.

I find it very disconcerting to hear someone who has had to endure the process of having an ostomy operation find it necessary to criticise a fellow ostomate for having negative thoughts. I would have thought that of all people we would be more receptive to peoples concerns and insecurities with regards to their ostomies and more inclined to understand said issues. Inside all of us there are some fears and anxieties no matter what they relate to and they are part and parcel of what makes us all tick.

Once again some wonderful comments Doe.   

Ken

Reply by CALYPSO, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 am
Our little secret exposed, that would never do, if it were well known, before long...........everybody'd want one !!!

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 am
I have recently experienced the full body scanners at LAX (Los Angeles) airport and can assure all ostomates that it is definitely NO BIG DEAL!!!

The first time I went through one I mentioned to the guard that I had an ostomy and after I went through the scanner I was asked to step aside and was discreetly patted down by another older female guard whose main concern was that I was far too young to have one!  So I of course explained that if it wasn't for the actual ostomy I wouldn't be able to travel at all and have never been healthier in my life.

The following times I just waltzed through without even mentioning it and didn't even have to step aside.  But I honestly believe the more security personnel know about these things the better it is for all of us.

So am totally with Rick (junopete) on this one, get over yourself and enjoy your flight!  

Cheers,

Jo

Reply by maharajh, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 am
DOE<<< what a pleasure meeting you,,

Rick.. I WONT EVEN WASTE MY TIME ON YOU>

As for those who have traveled  thank you for letting me know of your experiences.

we all make individual choices... YES we live in a crazy world  ( I  LIVE in New York ) and i know security is first priority.... BUT  for now i choose to NOT fly.

Reply by SheliaBaby, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 pm
Hi...first....welcome.  Know you are new here.  Like you said....it is an individual opinion.  There really is no wrong or right.  You choose what is right for you.

Personally,  I don't care.  Would rather them see whatever they see.  Prefer they scan and see an ostomy than not scan and miss a gun or bomb or whatever! LOL

Shelia Smile

Reply by bikerboy, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 pm
well rick has one good point we shouldnt let our stoma' dictate our life.I believe in getting out in life and let everyone know IM HERE, I WEAR A BAG,IM STILL ALIVE.If we hide this fact we might as well go hide in a cave and have pity on ourselves.How many times are you going to fly in the future.Daily,weekly,once in your life.Its a small price to pay to have someone look you over at the airport.Like I said in the jokes wear your clear bag when you fly .It will be worse for the agent than it will be for you.I like to call it my sweet revenge,have fun with it.
bikerboy greg

Reply by Pinky, on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 pm
Hi Majarajh - Yes, welcome - and try to overlook the somewhat strident opinions expressed here at times!  We ostomates aren't the only ones feeling a bit freaked about the full body scans.  Lots of people are fearful of the radiation doses they might be exposed to.  

The United Ostomy Assn. has been working with TSA regarding ostomates NOT going through full body scans, but being "checked out" in a private screening.  At San Diego airport there is a separate line for baby strollers and "those with medical liquids"  Very Happy  So that's the screening line to get in - it's always short!

Of course, there's always BikerBoy Greg's way of going through screening - with his clear ostomy bag on - it's caused an agent or two to lose their lunches  Very Happy

I personally hate flying and will do what I can to avoid it, but some places are hard to get to - Hawaii, for instance - and I have more fear of ships than I do flying.

It's everyone's choice what we reveal to the world about ourselves and our personal habits.  "Nuff said.         Wink

Reply by three, on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:01 pm
Hi JunoPete ~

Your comments have led to polarized responses from many — when you read those responses, what feelings and thoughts arise within you?

I ask this question because I want to understand the thought-feeling interplay that shapes the way you set out to help others, and I KNOW you want to help others!

As I say in my Profile, I am interested in the unexpected ways learning happens.
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.