Want to Lose Weight with an Ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
quiz

Hi, I am new to this site and would like to find out about losing weight. I had rectal cancer in 2007 and have had 4 operations and this is my second ileostomy. I had one for a year, then had a reversal, and then had a year of pain. They had to give me another ileostomy. I have only had this ileostomy for 10 months. I have been in remission for a year. I have gained some weight and want to lose it, but I am not sure what exercises I can do. Any suggestions would be great. Also, I am still trying to deal with my ileostomy. I haven't found a good wafer yet, and some of them cause my skin to get really itchy. They are all so big, and the bags are so long. Any help would be great.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,094 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Hi, nice to meet you... welcome! ... As for losing weight, please do it carefully... Don't do as many do and simply cut out meals. Be sure you still have well-balanced meals each day that will meet your personal needs. In my opinion, your doctor or nutritionist is best qualified to help you with that one... Everyone's needs are different... ... Stick with us here to let us know how you're doing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady
Hi, do you have a good stoma nurse? They should be able to help with finding a suitable bag...

Try this link if you don't have one.

http://www.caet.ca/

Also, it sounds like there may be a fungal infection under the wafer - there has been a recent thread on that too...

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1662

Good luck with it all,
Rach xx
lexus1

Hello QUIZ! Please check with your stoma nurse for the correct size for your needs. There are many different types; I use a one-piece Convatec/paste for my ileostomy. I am kinda short and decided on the 10-inch bag. I still look like I "have something in my pocket" if my pouch fills. I dump it often though. I also had an itch problem, and yes, it was fungal...I used the foot powder for athlete's foot...whatever brand; it is the same as the expensive prescription they will give you...place a bit of powder onto a Q-tip and dab around the "white" which is the fungal area...the pouch won't stick as well but it is important to get rid of the fungus problem. I hope to see you here often, let us know how you are doing. Lex

Tiggy
Congratulations on going into remission! Damn, that is something to be seriously proud of and thankful for.

As a new ostomate and a cancer survivor, I would recommend you take things *very* slowly. I have learned over time that people who lose weight gradually and naturally have the most success at keeping it off. I come from a family of serial dieters, and I can vouch for that statement 100%. I'm sure I don't have to suggest that you consult with your doctor about any new exercise regime or diet changes you plan on implementing into your life. Your nutritional needs will be slightly different from the general populace.

Keep it balanced, keep it moderate, and let common sense rule!

Love

Tiggy

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Immarsh
Hi,

After a nearly 50-pound weight gain, I joined a "wellness center" gym and have been successfully working with a trainer and taking 5-10 different exercise classes a week. I have back and leg issues, in addition to my ostomy, but it hasn't stopped me from finally doing something productive. I've always tried exercising on my own and would either hurt myself or claim that the exercise makes the wafer "move". Yes...sometimes that does happen. But after a year, I've lost nearly 50 pounds with my doctors' blessings and am continuing with my new health wellness regime. We discovered that I've had very poor balance for years because of very weak abdominal muscles. So I'm working hard on developing more core strength, endurance, and mobility as well and have found that my balance has improved significantly. As an insulin-dependent diabetic, I was thrilled that the increased exercise allowed me to significantly reduce my need for insulin. The downside has been some digestive issues when I had to replace some carbs with more veggies.

I wish you the best of luck. Get a go-ahead with your doctor, and if possible, some guidance from a "trained" trainer.

Thanks to all of you for "being here".
Tiggy

Immarsh, you rule!

Just more proof that people with ostomies are just as capable as the rest of "us" when it comes to improving their lives and having the courage to make positive changes. I've been losing weight in a healthy way since this past June and it hasn't always been easy - even as someone who doesn't have an ostomy! So I give you mad respect for that.

Mggy34

I have found that tracking what I eat and walking was the best "diet" I have ever been on. I lost 40 pounds pre ileostomy. I didn't deny myself anything...if I wanted a cheeseburger I ate it but I accounted for those calories. I used My Fitness Pal to track my calories and Runkeeper to track my walks. I stayed within (or close to) my calorie goal every day and walked for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week. Lost a steady 1 to 2 pounds a week. The apps talk to each other so your exercise is automatically calculated into your daily calories.

I just started back walking each morning yesterday. I can only go for about a mile....but I'll be back to three miles before long! Haven't started tracking calories again. I don't need to lose any weight really but I certainly don't need to gain any either! And if I keep eating twinkies I'll be gigantic.