Dehydration

In this discussion
Replies
Views
erika

Why is it often said that people who have an ostomy dehydrate more than usual? I only drink about half a pint of fluid all day and have been okay so far.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bearcat

How much time has passed in your "so far"?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Tiggy

I'm not a medical professional, but I believe that in the case of an ileostomy, the reason you need to remain vigilant concerning hydration is because the colon is the organ which is mainly responsible for absorbing fluids. If you don't have a colon, your body is not as adept at attaining the fluids necessary to maintain homeostasis (balance) and good health. I can't speak for how much or how little your body needs fluids, but if you are *feeling* okay, and your doctor says it's alright, then I wouldn't fuss over it too much.

I can speak from experience though and say that if you should ever get any kind of gastrointestinal bug, start drinking water, sucking on popsicles, ice cubes, soups - anything to keep your fluids up! My husband had his ileostomy for five months when our whole house became suddenly ill with what we later found out was a Norovirus. Every one of us got over it with little problem, except for my husband. He ended up in isolation in the hospital with what they were calling "acute renal failure" - and this after only one day of vomiting and violent diarrhea. I mean, when you're talking about kidney failure, this is not something to play around with....

He made a full and total recovery in a matter of days, once the virus had run its course and he was IV hydrated. But still, don't mess with the prospect of dehydration. It's not pretty and sometimes doesn't take long for someone with an ostomy...

erika

Few years, some days I go mad and will have about a pint of liquid. Then other days, I'll have my usual half a glass. Don't have alcohol, tea, or coffee.

Tiggy

Well, if you're feeling just fine and your doctor isn't worried, then I see no problem here. Just always be mindful of the symptoms of dehydration and try to at least sip fluids with your meals, etc.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister