Bag Coming Loose

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ok girl

I have had a colostomy for a year and a half and all of a sudden I am having trouble with the bags coming apart on the bottom around the ring on the skin side. I do clean my bag out with water and I go 24-7 but have never had this trouble before. I use Hollister two-piece system. Has anyone else had this problem?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

three
Hi, ok girl~

When you clean your bag with water, be careful not to put in so much water that it reaches your stoma, as this can lead to some water seeping between your stoma and the opening in your flange, and eventually causing the flange to detach from your skin.

I am not sure if this is what is happening for you, or are you saying the bag itself comes apart at the ring?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Pinky

There have been plenty of people who have complained on this forum about quality control issues with some Hollister products. Some people have gotten whole batches of pouches that were bad.

If you have another box of pouches, try one of them - don't assume you are doing something wrong when it could be the product.

ok girl

Thanks Three, but yes, the bag itself is coming loose. It seems that the quality is not as good.

ok girl

Thanks Pinky, yours and all the comments are always so great. I have already called Hollister and they thought all I wanted was replacements. If the other company is better, I will consider it next time when it is time to order. Any one's thoughts?????????

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lottagelady

I am really happy with the one-piece Hollister Moderma Flex bag that I have - it sticks well and I have very few leakage problems around the flange - where it does seem to go is between the hard plastic ring and the soft pouch material, almost like the glue holding the two together is being dissolved by the contents, and if I don't change every 3 days it will leak there. Anyone else have this problem?

That is a post I wrote many months ago! I have had several bad batches of Hollister and have never had a problem with them being replaced, but then I'm in the UK and there are no 'insurance issues' so maybe that is the difference there? I've maybe had about 3 or 4 boxes replaced so far ...... The Adapt rings have certainly made a difference too, wear time is much better....

Rach xxx

gutenberg
Well my pouchy friends, I've had my ileostomy since 2003 and had read the posts that Rachel had and explained the problem to us, so when this started up about three months ago, it finally struck home. This always happens at the back of the pouch and you really don't notice it until you begin to squeeze the pouch when emptying and your fingers come away feeling wet so the first time this happened to me I knew exactly what was happening.
But, after a real close examination I could feel the wetness, see the wetness, but couldn't actually find where the leak was coming from, tricky little devil, I wasn't about to bring out a magnifying glass and really give it a closer examination, just change the pouch and gave a call to Hollister, they were quite willing to send me a couple of boxes of pouches which I declined, just wanted them to be aware and I gather they were aware of the problem too, anyhoo, I still have five boxes of pouches I want to use up so I can go for a newer system. I imagine in the process of applying the ring to the pouch, something did not fit exactly as planned. Funny thing is this only happens on the pouch rings and I've never heard of it happening with the ring on the flange and a good thing too as its so easy to pop on a new pouch and as long as I get three davs from the pouch and a week from the flange I don't really give a shit. All of the ones that had a leak was at the 6 oclock position looking down from my point of view, and that's the way the cookie crumbles after passing through the Ilium of course and a good dose of cursing and we're off to the races as long as the bed has wheels that is, Ed
mooza

Ok girl, I have been using 1piece COLOPLAST SENSURA and experiencing leakage. Uh, what is that? Great product, just remember Sensura range is kind of new here in Australia. Well, last year was good luck. Oh, never have those middle of the night nightmares, lol. Grr, but you name it, been there. Oh, Crohn's disease for 20 years, many operations, bag on, bag off, lol, cry... If anyone can help with, I think surgery pain would be great. Cheers, good luck, and do you get samples where you live? I got lots, it's all free, no insurance, nothing. Just phone XXX.

Immarsh

Be sure to write or call the company, and offer to send them the damaged bags. They'll refund, but they will send you replacements. Every time you complain, make sure you CC it to the president of the company. I've done it often, but if that doesn't help, try another product. Convatec has been very good about quality control. I've only had a problem with a bag splitting once or twice.... they appreciated the feedback, and sent me a whole box as a replacement.

Chris1

I too have been using Hollister's 2-piece New Image line and never had a problem until a couple of months ago. I had several flanges come apart or split in the clear plastic between the flange ring and the adhesive patch side. Each time it split right in the middle where the plastic ring has the fold crease. I let Hollister know and they did send me a new box of flanges, and I had 3 in that box also split and discovered they were from the same batch number. So far, the last two boxes have been okay.

Rabbit

I encourage everyone to complain to these companies and it will make a difference. As medical manufacturers, they are registered with the FDA, and if they sell in the EU or Canada, they are required to be ISO 13485 certified. There are rules they must follow, one being that they track and respond to complaints with corrective actions. Although these are not life-threatening devices like a pacemaker, when they are inspected or audited, their corrective action program is always looked at. Failure to meet the requirements brings legal action against the company and more inspections.

You can also learn about these companies on the FDA.gov website and read about complaints in the MAUDE database. You can sign up to receive emails when warning letters and other activities occur. Although the FDA is still underfunded, it has become much better in the last few years.