Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

Leve bag off

Posted by faith777, on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:43 am
Is it ok to leve your bag off for a number of hours ?????  I was told not to put the stomer in the sun but nothing about just going without the bag.
Thanks
Faith
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:30 am
interesting question, personally i never leave mine uncovered unless in the shower.... back in  my early days i wasnt as cautious.  after painting a few walls and bathroom fixtures i learned to treat my stoma like a gun..."dont point it at anything you dont intend to shoot"...!!!! not much help, am i..???  
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:36 am
Couldn't imagine doing it with an ileostomy, those things will squirt away til the cows come home!

But perhaps with a colostomy you could let it get a bit of fresh air and sunshine!  As always wear sunscreen!  

Am sure I have heard people on here say they give their stoma a bit of "breathing space" before change time so give it a go.

Cheers,
Jo
Reply by gutenberg, on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:01 pm
My brother has a colonostomy and he has told me he can leave his of for hours at a time, I have trouble keeping mine of (ileostomy) the length of time to do a change. As an aside, we both have ostomys because of a screw up by doctors, hard thing to forget. Ed
Reply by goldengirl, on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm
I don't think that's a good idea...like one of the others said it is so like pointing a gun an the trigger goes off...has happened to me...ugh...but you have to find humor in it..I only take off when I shower...some people irrigate...I never tried it..but I have other issues so it's just not meant for me...I don't know if you do that maybe you can leave it off for a while...hmmm...something to check out..
Reply by mooza, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 am
I have a ileostomy i wish i could leave it for fresh air marshmelo only last 3 4 5 minutes grrrr i hate ileostomy wen i work at our association i found out sooo much they irrigate and put a little cap on it
Reply by janice, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 am

mooza wrote:
I have a ileostomy i wish i could leave it for fresh air marshmelo only last 3 4 5 minutes grrrr i hate ileostomy wen i work at our association i found out sooo much they irrigate and put a little cap on it

They irrigate ilios????  I thought just colostmies can be irrigated.
Reply by lampelady, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:10 am
You are the second person that has mentioned marshmellows. You say it stops the flow of urine for 3-5 minutes? How many do you have to eat and how much time do you have to wait before you pull your bag off?
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 am

lampelady wrote:
You are the second person that has mentioned marshmellows. You say it stops the flow of urine for 3-5 minutes? How many do you have to eat and how much time do you have to wait before you pull your bag off?

Hi lampelady, I think the marshmallows may just slow the output flow of an ileostomy or colostomy, perhaps not a urostomy.
Reply by Mike, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:29 pm

mild_mannered_super_hero wrote:
interesting question, personally i never leave mine uncovered unless in the shower.... back in  my early days i wasnt as cautious.  after painting a few walls and bathroom fixtures i learned to treat my stoma like a gun..."dont point it at anything you dont intend to shoot"...!!!! not much help, am i..???  
Leaving your bag off could have serious & messy concequences
Reply by gutenberg, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm
With an ileostomy just the thought is enough, on the brighter side its something you only need do once, any more than once its time to reevaluate the consequences, I mean its just the clear shits, pun intended, Ed
Reply by kadhd, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:23 pm
gutenberg

It is sometimes helpful to eat a handful of marshmallows about 15 minutes before changing your appliance if you have an ileostomy
!--Session data--
Reply by kadhd, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:27 pm

gutenberg wrote:
My brother has a colonostomy and he has told me he can leave his of for hours at a time, I have trouble keeping mine of (ileostomy) the length of time to do a change. As an aside, we both have ostomys because of a screw up by doctors, hard thing to forget. Ed

It would be interesting to learn how many of us have our permanent ostomies as a result of "doctor error."  I was hospitalized nearly a month cleaning up a septic abdomen due to medical failure in a take down!

!--Session data--
Reply by panther, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm
If you have already eaten food, and need to change your ostomy, how do marshmallows bypass it to make it easier to change your bag??
Reply by hope, on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 pm
Hi, mashmallows don't actually bypass any food you have eaten but if you know you are going to change your pouch you can eat a few mashmallows a while beforehand and it sort of thickens you up a bit especially if you have an ileostomy.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.