Leave Bag Off

In this discussion
Replies
Views
faith777

Is it okay to leave your bag off for a number of hours? I was told not to put the stomer in the sun but nothing about just going without the bag.
Thanks
Faith

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Interesting question, personally I never leave mine uncovered unless in the shower.... Back in my early days, I wasn't as cautious. After painting a few walls and bathroom fixtures, I learned to treat my stoma like a gun... "Don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot"...!!!! Not much help, am I..???

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Couldn't imagine doing it with an ileostomy, those things will squirt away until the cows come home!

But perhaps with a colostomy, you could let it get a bit of fresh air and sunshine! As always, wear sunscreen!

I'm sure I have heard people on here say they give their stoma a bit of "breathing space" before change time, so give it a go.

Cheers,
Jo

gutenberg
My brother has a colonostomy and he has told me he can leave his of for hours at a time, I have trouble keeping mine of (ileostomy) the length of time to do a change. As an aside, we both have ostomys because of a screw up by doctors, hard thing to forget. Ed
goldengirl

I don't think that's a good idea...like one of the others said, it is so like pointing a gun and the trigger goes off...has happened to me...ugh...but you have to find humor in it. I only take off when I shower...some people irrigate...I never tried it...but I have other issues so it's just not meant for me...I don't know if you do that, maybe you can leave it off for a while...hmmm...something to check out...

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mooza

I have an ileostomy. I wish I could leave it for fresh air. Marshmelo only lasts 3-5 minutes. Grrrr, I hate ileostomy. When I work at our association, I found out so much. They irrigate and put a little cap on it.

janice

They irrigate ilios? I thought just colostomies can be irrigated.
lampelady

You are the second person that has mentioned marshmallows. You say it stops the flow of urine for 3-5 minutes? How many do you have to eat and how much time do you have to wait before you pull your bag off?

Past Member

Hi Lampelady, I think the marshmallows may just slow the output flow of an ileostomy or colostomy, perhaps not a urostomy.
Mike

Leaving your bag off could have serious & messy consequences.

gutenberg
With an ileostomy just the thought is enough, on the brighter side its something you only need do once, any more than once its time to reevaluate the consequences, I mean its just the clear shits, pun intended, Ed
kadhd

Gutenberg

It is sometimes helpful to eat a handful of marshmallows about 15 minutes before changing your appliance if you have an ileostomy

kadhd

It would be interesting to learn how many of us have our permanent ostomies as a result of "doctor error."  I was hospitalized nearly a month cleaning up a septic abdomen due to medical failure in a takedown!

Past Member

If you have already eaten food and need to change your ostomy, how do marshmallows bypass it to make it easier to change your bag?

hope

Hi, marshmallows don't actually bypass any food you have eaten, but if you know you are going to change your pouch, you can eat a few marshmallows a while beforehand and it sort of thickens you up a bit, especially if you have an ileostomy.

Immarsh

I figured out my digestive system a long time ago :)) I can change without fear of "spouting" as long as I haven't eaten for a few hours. So for me, later in the evening....about 3-4 hours after dinner, or first thing in the morning before evening, is the best time. But everyone is different. The best time is probably one minute....from the time of taking the old one off and slapping the new one on. It has only taken me 48 years to perfect that.

Pinky
Wow! This topic is hot! My WOCN encourages people to leave their pouch and/or wafer off, especially if experiencing broken skin.

Only descending and sigmoid colostomies can be irrigated. This makes it possible to go without a true pouch for a whole day or more. The ostomy still puts out mucus, so a cap or mini-pouch or even a 4x4 gauze is used to cover the stoma. I prefer mini-pouches.

Marshmallows do thicken the stool and can be a little blocking if you eat too many at once. I have also seen WOCNs recommending Imodium if you want to stop the flow of fecal material for a period of time.

When I had a transverse colostomy back in 2003, I took one Imodium a day and became very regular - action only at 6 am, noon, and 6 pm (unless I ate the wrong thing during the day - usually something like commercially prepared cake from Costco!)
Juniper

I have found noodles to be great for "thickening" things up a bit before changing the bag or just when you have a bit of super liquedy output.

Rhian

Hi, I have a colostomy, however, I only ever leave a bag off when I'm in the bath, even then I wear a stoma cup, as mine decides to empty whenever it feels like it, which is most of the time!

Past Member

The marshmallow idea would probably work better if you just jam a few right up the old stomach.

aquarius29

Mine was also a screw up by doctors. I spent almost 2 years in the hospital because I caught an infection called MRSA. Terrible, my family and the doctors wrote me off but here I am, a survivor. I never leave mine uncovered completely but I do put a gauze square over it to air it out before putting the bag on. It helps in case of an accident.

Quietdreamer28

I've learned a new thing. I have never heard of eating marshmallows before changing out. I just know within 2 hours after eating a meal my ostomy starts to put out. I shall have to try this marshmallow thing. It's a great excuse to get a yummy treat haha.

StarUK

It's fine to leave your bag off if your stoma is predictable. I, like many others, have also decorated more walls, etc., than I care to mention. Personally, I'd be careful what sunscreen you use and be very careful because it's a very sensitive intestine, and who knows how it would be if it got sunburned.

Star
tine

Hi everyone

I would love to leave my bag off as I suffer a lot from broken skin and sores around the stoma.....but as most of you...it has a mind of its own!

xx

bikerboy

Leave the bag off when you're swimming (in the ocean) or when you want that busybody neighbor to mind his business. LOL

budg3620

What a wonderful idea! If it works, my wife will love you forever. No more hives from nerves. One of the first times she changed the bag solo, I had diarrhea and had to be taken back to the hospital. When my nurse sent a specimen down to the lab, she was scolded for sending a urine sample down. She had trouble convincing them that it was definitely not urine! All this because of an Ecoliburger in a restaurant.

bagnannieannie

I find that the pre-washed packaged salads do the E. coli thing for me. I just can't learn to leave them alone. It was probably the lettuce in your burger. I am just getting over one now. I guess we are more susceptible to the germ because of our lack of intestines and colon length? I have had my colostomy for 6 years now and still, when you think you have yourself all figured out, the next day will be a whole new ballgame!! There are never two days alike!

screamingeagle

Hi, I had fistulas and eight surgeries before the final colostomy. It messed up me and my life, but I'm doing okay.

screamingeagle

I'm into 2 1/2 years of an ostomy, had lots of problems with sores, but finally found how to treat them. I wear a one-piece drainable. I leave one on for 5-7 days. If irritated, I use powder and protected wipes. I build up a layer by using protective wipes and powder and making several layers, and then fine next time.

Randomum

When I was in the hospital, the dietician told me that to "thicken up" the output, I should eat marshmallows, peanut butter, or bananas.
I've since found out that jelly babies (in fact, any sweets with gelatine) also do the trick!

Newbie...Chris