Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 34-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 57-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female
Meet and talk to 20,086 OstoMates

Leve Bag Off

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:43 am
Is it ok to leve your bag off for a number of hours ?????  I was told not to put the stomer in the sun but nothing about just going without the bag.
Thanks
Faith
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:30 am
interesting question, personally i never leave mine uncovered unless in the shower.... back in  my early days i wasnt as cautious.  after painting a few walls and bathroom fixtures i learned to treat my stoma like a gun..."dont point it at anything you dont intend to shoot"...!!!! not much help, am i..???  
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:36 am
Couldn't imagine doing it with an ileostomy, those things will squirt away til the cows come home!

But perhaps with a colostomy you could let it get a bit of fresh air and sunshine!  As always wear sunscreen!  

Am sure I have heard people on here say they give their stoma a bit of "breathing space" before change time so give it a go.

Cheers,
Jo
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:01 pm
My brother has a colonostomy and he has told me he can leave his of for hours at a time, I have trouble keeping mine of (ileostomy) the length of time to do a change. As an aside, we both have ostomys because of a screw up by doctors, hard thing to forget. Ed
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm
I don't think that's a good idea...like one of the others said it is so like pointing a gun an the trigger goes off...has happened to me...ugh...but you have to find humor in it..I only take off when I shower...some people irrigate...I never tried it..but I have other issues so it's just not meant for me...I don't know if you do that maybe you can leave it off for a while...hmmm...something to check out..
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 am
I have a ileostomy i wish i could leave it for fresh air marshmelo only last 3 4 5 minutes grrrr i hate ileostomy wen i work at our association i found out sooo much they irrigate and put a little cap on it
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 am

mooza wrote:
I have a ileostomy i wish i could leave it for fresh air marshmelo only last 3 4 5 minutes grrrr i hate ileostomy wen i work at our association i found out sooo much they irrigate and put a little cap on it

They irrigate ilios????  I thought just colostmies can be irrigated.
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:10 am
You are the second person that has mentioned marshmellows. You say it stops the flow of urine for 3-5 minutes? How many do you have to eat and how much time do you have to wait before you pull your bag off?
  Past Member
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 am

lampelady wrote:
You are the second person that has mentioned marshmellows. You say it stops the flow of urine for 3-5 minutes? How many do you have to eat and how much time do you have to wait before you pull your bag off?

Hi lampelady, I think the marshmallows may just slow the output flow of an ileostomy or colostomy, perhaps not a urostomy.
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:29 pm

mild_mannered_super_hero wrote:
interesting question, personally i never leave mine uncovered unless in the shower.... back in  my early days i wasnt as cautious.  after painting a few walls and bathroom fixtures i learned to treat my stoma like a gun..."dont point it at anything you dont intend to shoot"...!!!! not much help, am i..???  
Leaving your bag off could have serious & messy concequences
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm
With an ileostomy just the thought is enough, on the brighter side its something you only need do once, any more than once its time to reevaluate the consequences, I mean its just the clear shits, pun intended, Ed
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:23 pm
gutenberg

It is sometimes helpful to eat a handful of marshmallows about 15 minutes before changing your appliance if you have an ileostomy
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:27 pm

gutenberg wrote:
My brother has a colonostomy and he has told me he can leave his of for hours at a time, I have trouble keeping mine of (ileostomy) the length of time to do a change. As an aside, we both have ostomys because of a screw up by doctors, hard thing to forget. Ed

It would be interesting to learn how many of us have our permanent ostomies as a result of "doctor error."  I was hospitalized nearly a month cleaning up a septic abdomen due to medical failure in a take down!

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm
If you have already eaten food, and need to change your ostomy, how do marshmallows bypass it to make it easier to change your bag??
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 pm
Hi, mashmallows don't actually bypass any food you have eaten but if you know you are going to change your pouch you can eat a few mashmallows a while beforehand and it sort of thickens you up a bit especially if you have an ileostomy.
Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.