Traveling to Europe

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lonestarszq

I am planning a trip to Italy in February, and I am afraid I will be seized and arrested as a terrorist going through security. I have a descending colostomy and only 150 cm of small intestine left due to multiple Crohn's surgeries over the past 40 years. My weight plummeted to 90 pounds this past July; so, they surgically implanted a peg tube in my stomach. I use Ensure to keep my calories and weight at acceptable levels. Now not only do I have to deal with the ostomy appliance, but also a tube protruding from the middle of my stomach. That should blow their minds if I have to go through a full-body scan!!! This woman is wired and is carrying explosives!

If I make it through onto the airplane, my concern is finding an Ensure product in Italy. Does anyone have a similar situation? I don't think that I can take a case of the product from the US on the airplane. I'm afraid my dream vacation will be spent in a jail cell in New York!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SheliaBaby

Wow... seems like you should be able to get some sort of note from a doctor... explaining your situation. That way you don't have to try to tell them. Also, do you think the note could ask that you be allowed to take whatever ensure/supplies you need?

Good luck.... and hope you get to make your trip without any problems. Shelia

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Pinky
First off - you are so lucky to be going to Europe! Don't let a little thing like the TSA put a damper on your plans!!!

Here in San Diego, there is a separate screening line for baby strollers and people with medical liquids. It's always the shortest line of course. If your airport has the same thing, you can ask right then for a private screening. I'm sure whatever amount of Ensure you need for the flight over will be allowed. Can you then put the rest (case or whatever) in your checked luggage?

Maybe our friends in the UK can help regarding where to obtain Ensure in Europe. Here is a link to Abbott Labs which makes Ensure:

http://www.abbott.com/global/url/content/en_US/60.15:15/feature/Feature_0036.htm

Ciao, and have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!! Pinky
Immarsh
Hi, you're doing the right thing by planning in advance. You'll work out the details.....

Just to let you know, that a friend of mine who was on home dialysis went to Mexico, and was able to send all the bagged fluids she needed for the procedures on the plane through special luggage arrangements. All she had to do was pick them up at the destination.

But if you can find a source to purchase an Assure product, you can have it delivered right to your hotel. If you can't do it through a company, try using email to write to someone in Italy, who might be able to give you some suggestions. A number of years ago, I flew to Haiti with a friend in a private plane and was able to get information from Americans living in Haiti.

Best of luck to you....and enjoy your trip. Italy is fabulous.

Marsha
Past Member

Sounds similar to Fortisip? I was on this pre/post ileostomy for a few weeks. It is quite expensive (being a liquid) and quite heavy for its size.
Can you get an extra luggage allowance? I'm travelling to Florida in Dec and am allowed an extra case, to be marked 'essential medical supplies'. I managed to get an extra 15kg allowed for this with no arguing, I'm sure I could get more if I need it.
As for the body scanner... Not looking forward to that myself but I think a letter from a doctor will help smooth things.
Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Wyle

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Lobster
I'm just back from Italy (had a great time. 30 degrees and clear blue sky and toughed it out by the pool but back home now to an impending British winter!).

As for security screening - don't worry. I have been through screening here in the UK at Gatwick, Heathrow, and Stansted, been to France, Italy, and Bulgaria since getting the colostomy and have had no problems or difficulties at all. I have had medical gear in hand luggage that went through the x-ray, and the only time anything happened was when I had forgotten about a can of ginger beer in the bag. So, no issues at all on the screening front.

Enjoy Italy, it is a great country, and Campari and soda is a perfect aperitif as the sun sets.
goldengirl

Let's just say that I never had a problem going through security, and I have lots going on too. I don't know about the Ensure, but maybe get in touch with the airline and see if you can bring your own supply. And you go, girl! Have a fabulous time. Really, really enjoy yourself. Italy...wow, I'm jealous...lol. I've always wanted to go there. Let us know how it went and take lots of pictures. Have a safe, marvelous trip. Fran.

Tiggy
Good grief, I wish I could give you specific help relating to your queries, but I will be taking a plane at the end of this month for only the second time in my life, so I really can't chime in with anything worthwhile.

However, I did want to express my encouragement! I hope you have an awesome trip, and something tells me that you will. Just think of what would happen if a big fuss was made about your unique situation at an airport! It would be a PR disaster!!! No one is going to make waves when it comes to a sensitive issue such as an ostomy. Trust me, they would end up looking extremely foolish in the end. And if something does happen, let us know and we'll start writing angry letters!

Seriously, have a great trip.
WOUNDED DOE

Hi lonestarzq! I know two people who work for airlines and ...(of course depending on your airline).....they said something like that shouldn't be a problem, especially with a doctor's note. Call your airline well ahead of time to inquire and make any possible arrangements, sweetie.....good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes!

~Safe journey, safe return
Past Member

Just saw this after posting my own question on Europe and I was wondering the same things! Looks like no one has had any issues yet, so that sounds like good news. Hope your trip goes great!