Finding Love with an Ostomy: Is it Possible?

Replies
Views
cruznby

Yep, you said it!!!

cruznby

Yep, you said it!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

betrdanevr

Tiggy, that is a hysterical way to put it, and OH, SOOO TRUE!  I wish puberty had come with a Personal Jerk Detector!!! Touche'!

danieldore

Hell no!!! If a woman looks at you as a burden because of your bag, then she is not worth your time, maybe. Keep looking and you will find someone who is not shallow and pathetic.

Salt.Air.Honey

There are people out there that don't care. I've had 3 intimate partners since my surgery. One was my husband (we split for reasons unrelated to my ostomy) and two boyfriends. None of them have minded my bag. When it seems things are headed that way I tell them what's what and reassure them that it's not as gross as they might imagine, the bag is small and opaque, and if we are doing it right the bag is the last thing we are going to think about. Lol. Plus, once things get heated so to speak, my output stops. So as long as I make a quick trip to the bathroom my bag is empty during sex anyway.

I think the key is being open and frank about it. You need to set the tone and when they see you're not self-conscious about it (which you shouldn't be because hello, it either saved your life or gave you your quality of life back), and that you're comfortable and willing to give it a go, it relaxes them. Sometimes they are even curious. Lol. And I tell them if the idea freaks them out, we can give it a shot and if they can't get past it, fair enough. It sincerely has never been an issue for me.

And I agree with some of the sentiments here. If someone can't get past it, then they aren't looking at the whole picture. Basically, they aren't really seeing you - your sense of humor, intelligence, confidence, sexiness, the fact you're fun, etc. And if that is the case, your ostomy just saved you from making a big mistake - becoming emotionally invested in the wrong person.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
scorpiosunandmoon

Wow!... Just caught up with all these posts.... Just feel for you.... I had surgery twenty years ago... Fifteen years later I found out my wife was having an affair... Now 67 I have had many dates but it has taken me three years to realize I am destined to be on my own due to lack of self-esteem.... I just cannot take that big step of raising my surgery with a possible partner... So I have thrown myself into hobbies and activities to feel life is worth living and rationalized that being alone is not the world's end.... Yes, there are many times I feel lonely.... But it's just a case of having to suck it up.... And the days when I can smile are celebrated.... Just move your focus away from the spotlight of seeking love... If you don't, you waste so much time when you could be living a richer life....

Panko

Hi, firstly thank your stars you only have one bag not two like me,

Secondly, the only solution to getting intimate with the opposite sex is to be honest

about your bag or bags. Wear a stoma belt but make sure before you engage in full

activity to make sure you do not drink much before to limit output. If you have a colostomy, then

you can take meds to slow your bowel motions down like loperamide. It's just a balancing act. Common sense?

If you take diuretic pills, then I would not take them until after you have been intimate.

Oh, another thing: "Never trust a fart"!