Red Bumps

Replies
Views
goldengirl

I'm wondering, does anyone ever have red bumps that are the same color and texture as a stoma, but they form like a bunch of little peas? I don't know how else to explain them. I have always gotten them, but now there are more and they feel inflamed and sore. I do have 3 hernias around my stoma. I have had 6 surgeries in the past ten years. The last one was 2 years ago, and that one was the worst, but this is the longest that I haven't had a hospital stay. Usually, when I was hospitalized, they went away. Now, like I said, there are more and protruding more. Does anybody have any idea? I'm going next week for a colonoscopy, and I'm a little nervous because my stoma came from having cancer. - Fran

Immarsh
Hi Fran,

For years, I'd get little "red bumps", and sometimes they would turn white, right under the stoma, on the irritated skin. I went to a dermatologist, who wanted me to go to a surgeon. I opted to live with it, and at times it was painful, and then they would heal up. Then about three years ago, I had a bleeding episode. When I opened my pouch it was filled with blood and when I took it off, several areas around the stoma just started spraying blood... That was a trip to the emergency room, and when I finally saw the (renowned) surgeon, he said that it was Pyoderma Gangrenosum..... not unusual for people who have had inflammatory bowel disease. In my case, it was Ulcerative Colitis, and those painful little red bumps were ulcers. The irritations I was getting also turned into "holes in my skin" that took months to heal. I don't know if this is the same thing....but I still get those painful red bumps on occasion, and have to take special care that they do not deteriorate. I hope this helps.

Marsha
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

How sorry to hear that I have Crohn's disease. I always thought we get a stoma and it's all over, but when I get on here, it blows me away. Good luck, darl. My advice: when you can, live life to the fullest. xxxxx Hope you get better, hon. xx Mooza Australia

Tiggy

I hope this clears up for you soon!

goldengirl

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
margie

Hi
I also have red bumps around the stoma. The stoma nurse said that they were irritations from the rim of the flange. She didn't seem too concerned but gave me a paste, I guess to cushion the area. That didn't work for me. So I am living with it- the nurse didn't seem too concerned. I get very little bleeding and it doesn't hurt very much.
Marjorie