Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

HELP get the stain out??

Posted by Faith4Today, on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:30 pm
I am quickly running out of clothes.  Any home remedies out there to get old and new poo stains out? I have read previous posts and tried most of them, but my stuborn stains won't come out with any of the normal stain removers.  We do have very hard water in this area.  I am not sure if the colostomy out put is more concentrated because it has more of the water removed, any home made remedies?
Reply by Pinky, on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:13 pm
Hi Faith - Wow...sorry you are having those problems...yes those stains can be frustrating.  If you haven't tried this:  Only use COLD water to wash, try soaking the clothing at least overnight in the washer in a small amount of water with a whole capful of detergent.  Also, It might be worthwhile trying some Clorox 2 in there, or some a borax product for the bleaching effect.

Some things, especially cotton, seem really hard to completely "de-stain".       Smile   Pinky
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:49 am
Hi! Smile  As far as store-bought remover, one of the best for me has been a Pre-wash called Wisk Away! SmileSmile  that stuff has never failed me SmileSmileSmile...yet lol .....as for home-made I remember Gram using vinegar quite a lot, sometimes for soaking for a half hour or so before washing, and other times she made some sort of vinegar paste........but also there is an old stain cleaning remedy using water, and a half 'n half mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide...worth a try Smile  ...but of course it depends what kind of fabric you have, might want to do a small test spot first depending on what it is Smile  ...good luck! Smile

~Love from your Doe
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 am

Faith4Today wrote:
any home made remedies?

get a pint of good wiskey...put a few drops on the stain.....now while you wait...drink the rest of it.........what stain...!!!!!  
Reply by Lobster, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:57 am
here in the UK we have this gear:

http://www.vanish.co.uk/

which is very good and removes all. A cap of Vanish and 60 degree wash and all is clean.

However, the Whiskey does seem a far better idea and I will give it several tries to see how well it works.
Reply by tine, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:44 am
i use soda crystals....really cheap and work wonders
xx
Reply by ok girl, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:06 am
I use AVON bubble bath not sure it will work on old stains but worth a try. You will think it will suds up but it will not. Just pore some on the spots and rub in and put in the washer like someone said cold water. Give it a try
Reply by IamSam, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:15 am
I've had great success with OxyClean.
There's another product I use, when all else fails, called Greased Lightning that will take most anything out of or off of anything!
Good Luck!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:28 am
I use OxyClean and always hang out the washing on the line in bright sunlight, the sun works wonders in making clothes all shiny and new!
Reply by Bosco, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:04 pm
I sort my clothes-whites in one basket, towels/washcloths in antoher, dark clothes in a laudry chute.  Then a fairy comes in and *poof* all the stains disappear, everything is folded or hung in its place.  I loved it so much I've stuck with the same fairy for 33+ years.  (And not only does she get the stains out, but she makes me laugh, makes me dinner, keeps me warm in the winter, cries with me, listens to me, gave me 2 little fairies who are now making their own little fairies.....)
Reply by lottagelady, on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Bosco wrote:
I sort my clothes-whites in one basket, towels/washcloths in antoher, dark clothes in a laudry chute.  Then a fairy comes in and *poof* all the stains disappear, everything is folded or hung in its place.  I loved it so much I've stuck with the same fairy for 33+ years.  (And not only does she get the stains out, but she makes me laugh, makes me dinner, keeps me warm in the winter, cries with me, listens to me, gave me 2 little fairies who are now making their own little fairies.....)

Great response, you lucky man you!

I did a huge reply to this thread yesterday but lost the lot! Does remedy did come up, as well as just hanging the clothes in the sun which actually came up a lot! That sounds the cheapest anyway!
Good luck, Rach
xxxx
Reply by tippitop, on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Hi all. cant tell you how much lovely bed linen have had to throw, never found anything that worked.Thank you for suggestions, but am mostly embarrassed by my heavily stained but quite new mattress, have resorted to a plastic cover but its so uncomfortable and makes me feel like an incontinent geriatric!! Moving house was so embarrassing, I tried to staple mattress covers around it!! Awful, anyone know of something that might work to reduce the stains???? I am sure you all can identify with this horrible side effect of being an ostomist! Love to you all, you are such lovely people, so supportive of one another, feels like I can be asa open as I like with you which I cant with my closest friendMany thanks, Tippitop. {Tricia)
Reply by Faith4Today, on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:52 pm
Bosco and Superhero you guys are a riot...  Thank you for all your help.  Some great ideas....Greased lighting sounds great I could have used it when I irrigated the other day and just about done the clip comes off the bottom of the bag that is as long as your leg. Greased lighting was how fast I left the room.  After a couple of hours of crying and wishing I had a poop fairy.  Well you all know the rest of the story......Faith tomarrow will be better...
Reply by IamSam, on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 pm
Faith4Today
Sorry about your accident! I buy the Greased Lightning by the gallon at Home depot. Stuff works miracles!

tippitop
Tricia, Years ago I discovered waterproof crib pads! They are washable, fabric covered, thin rubber pads that are used on babies beds! They don't crinkle or get too hot like plastic. I place them below the sheets and my standard mattress pad to form a barrier between me and the mattress. The bed linens, mattress pad, and crib pad will wash and the mattress stays perfectly clean and dry!
Reply by tippitop, on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:28 am
Many thanks Sam, great tip and will now buy new mattress and not worry so much about moving house next month!! Good luck,
Triciax
xx
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.