Help Get the Stain Out?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Faith4Today

I am quickly running out of clothes. Any home remedies out there to get old and new poo stains out? I have read previous posts and tried most of them, but my stubborn stains won't come out with any of the normal stain removers. We do have very hard water in this area. I am not sure if the colostomy output is more concentrated because it has more of the water removed, any homemade remedies?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky

Hi Faith - Wow...sorry you are having those problems...yes those stains can be frustrating. If you haven't tried this: Only use COLD water to wash, try soaking the clothing at least overnight in the washer in a small amount of water with a whole capful of detergent. Also, it might be worthwhile trying some Clorox 2 in there, or some borax product for the bleaching effect.

Some things, especially cotton, seem really hard to completely "de-stain". Pinky

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
WOUNDED DOE
Hi! As far as store-bought remover, one of the best for me has been a pre-wash called Wisk Away! That stuff has never failed me... yet lol... as for homemade, I remember Gram using vinegar quite a lot, sometimes for soaking for a half hour or so before washing, and other times she made some sort of vinegar paste... but also there is an old stain cleaning remedy using water, and a half 'n half mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide... worth a try... but of course it depends what kind of fabric you have, might want to do a small test spot first depending on what it is... good luck!

~Love from your Doe
Past Member

Get a pint of good whiskey...put a few drops on the stain.....now while you wait...drink the rest of it.........what stain...!!!!!    
Lobster
Here in the UK we have this gear:

http://www.vanish.co.uk/

which is very good and removes all. A cap of Vanish and 60 degree wash and all is clean.

However, the whiskey does seem a far better idea and I will give it several tries to see how well it works.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
tine

I use soda crystals....really cheap and work wonders
xx

ok girl

I use AVON bubble bath. I'm not sure if it will work on old stains, but it's worth a try. You would think it would suds up, but it will not. Just pour some on the spots, rub it in, and put it in the washer like someone said - cold water. Give it a try.

IamSam

I've had great success with OxiClean.
There's another product I use, when all else fails, called Greased Lightning that will take most anything out of or off of anything!
Good luck!

Past Member

I use OxiClean and always hang out the washing on the line in bright sunlight. The sun works wonders in making clothes all shiny and new!

Bosco

I sort my clothes - whites in one basket, towels/washcloths in another, dark clothes in a laundry chute. Then a fairy comes in and *poof* all the stains disappear, everything is folded or hung in its place. I loved it so much I've stuck with the same fairy for 33+ years. (And not only does she get the stains out, but she makes me laugh, makes me dinner, keeps me warm in the winter, cries with me, listens to me, gave me 2 little fairies who are now making their own little fairies.....)

lottagelady
Great response, you lucky man you!

I did a huge reply to this thread yesterday but lost the lot! Does remedy did come up, as well as just hanging the clothes in the sun which actually came up a lot! That sounds the cheapest anyway!
Good luck, Rach
xxxx
tippitop

Hi all. Can't tell you how much lovely bed linen I have had to throw away. I never found anything that worked. Thank you for the suggestions, but I am mostly embarrassed by my heavily stained but quite new mattress. I have resorted to a plastic cover, but it's so uncomfortable and makes me feel like an incontinent geriatric!! Moving house was so embarrassing. I tried to staple mattress covers around it!! Awful. Does anyone know of something that might work to reduce the stains???? I am sure you all can identify with this horrible side effect of being an ostomist! Love to you all, you are such lovely people, so supportive of one another. It feels like I can be as open as I like with you, which I can't with my closest friend. Many thanks, Tippitop. (Tricia)

Faith4Today

Bosco and Superhero, you guys are a riot... Thank you for all your help. Some great ideas....Greased Lightning sounds great. I could have used it when I irrigated the other day and just about done, the clip comes off the bottom of the bag that is as long as your leg. Greased Lightning was how fast I left the room. After a couple of hours of crying and wishing I had a poop fairy. Well, you all know the rest of the story......Faith tomorrow will be better...

IamSam

Faith4Today
Sorry about your accident! I buy the Greased Lightning by the gallon at Home Depot. Stuff works miracles!

tippitop
Tricia, years ago I discovered waterproof crib pads! They are washable, fabric-covered, thin rubber pads that are used on babies' beds! They don't crinkle or get too hot like plastic. I place them below the sheets and my standard mattress pad to form a barrier between me and the mattress. The bed linens, mattress pad, and crib pad will wash, and the mattress stays perfectly clean and dry!

tippitop

Many thanks, Sam. Great tip and will now buy a new mattress and not worry so much about moving house next month!! Good luck,
Triciax
xx

bikerboy

I like to sit out in the sun and get naked when I'm changing my bag or wafer (when I'm home) and my shirts don't get covered with crepe. The bikes riding by have changed their route so as to avoid me. I used to like the faces they made. Now it's boring. Wish you luck, Faith. I'll be on Palomar Mountain tomorrow. Wish you were with me.

Greg

baglady

Stains AW--- They just give us more "character" or so 'tis said!

Actually, I've used OXI-CLEAN with hot water and a bit of cheap liquid (like Ivory, Lux etc.), let the offenders soak overnight-- squeeze out all the liquid next day and put into a warm/cold wash in the machine with more OXI-CLEAN and detergent of some sort. I never use a chlorine-based bleach. Often use Clorox-II or somesuch.

Maybe worth a try for you.

Lotsa luck.

Lucy

keysgirl

Lots of good ideas. I don't often have this problem with my colostomy, but had a little leakage overnight last week. My boyfriend had previously bought 'LA's Totally Awesome' all-purpose concentrated cleaner, degreaser, spot remover, from the $1.00 store. I sprayed it on my nightgown, washed it in cold water, and whoosh, it was all clean. The list of stuff it removes includes: blood stains, wine, liquor, pet stains, some ink, fresh paint, food stains, grape juice, etc. So, it removes protein stains, which includes the stains from pouch leakage.

With all the good ideas, I guess your selection process is eeny, meeny, miny, mo...

Peace Love,
Sadiqah

daniel902

Have you tried using baking soda and vinegar? This combination can be effective in removing tough stains, even with hard water. As for your concern about the concentration of colostomy output, it's possible that it could be contributing to the difficulty in removing the stains. However, I'm not entirely sure about this and would suggest consulting with a medical professional to get more information.

In the meantime, I came across this useful link on how to get grease stains out of clothes. https://www.bikethesites.com/how-to-get-bike-grease-out-of-clothes/ Although it's not directly related to your situation, the tips provided could still be helpful in removing tough stains.