Public Restrooms

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tuckerfolk
I've had my ileostomy now for 3 years and in that time I've gone to ?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /st1:State w:st="on"st1:place w:st="on"Hawaii/st1:place/st1:State, (10 hours in a plane with tight restrooms), three cruises, and many camping trips in our 5th wheel. I've seen every type of public restroom and I too first opt for the handicapped rest room/stall. Of course if they offer a "family" facility (found in airports, highway restrooms and camp grounds) those are my first choice because they offer a large private room with sink and toilet. Some handicapped stalls also have baby changing fold down tables that are very helpful (every Cracker-barrel offers these). I never leave home with out my backpack. Its packed with fresh underwear, a couple of large garbage bags (one to stand on and one to put all soiled clothing) all my ostomy supplies, roll of paper towel and baby wipes. I've only had to really use the whole kit once in three years, which isn't bad. Finally as was mention previously, I never leave home on vacations or visits without my pouches pre-loaded with the disposable liners. In fact I always carry two in my back pocket opposite my wallet. They are packaged in black doggy poo bags obtained from the dollar store. If I can, I flush down the liner and repackage the pouch in the doggy bag, but if the toilet is connected to a septic system, I just place the liner in the doggy bag, knot it up and discretely deposit it the waste container on the way out. Those liners are great because I get two uses out of my pouches, one with a liner and one without. I also use those doggy bags to dispose of my used pouches at home. I usually empty the pouch in the toilet before packaging it up in the bag, but when there is no toilet (like out in the woods, once even in the car) I put the pouch and poo in the bag and find a waste container later.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

stampersis
I use the Colomajic disposable liners in my bags. They are flushable so I carry a few liners and a bag with me then if I need to empty I just pull out the liner, flush and put on the spare bag with a new liner.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
jjjnettie
Changing my bag in the public toilet? No problems.
I use a "Nappy Sack", put the bottom on the bag in it and peel off the bag straight into it and tie it off. A quick wipe with "The Wiggles Toddler wipes", fan dry the peristomal skin with the new bag, then peel and stick the new one on.
Over and done with in 30 - 45 seconds.

I love that I never have to sit on a public toilet seat to poop ever ever again.
Primeboy
Having dealt with ulcerative colitis for 30+ years, I have come to see public rest rooms as survival stations. Now that I have an ileostomy, I am almost at home stopping in and unloading. My output is primarily liquid and I sometimes use the urinals (with privacy barriers) because there's no splashing and it's much more convenient. I have a large pouch with a plug drain so that there's no fuss. I can pee and poo simultaneously and quickly. I guess what I want to say is simply this: look for simplicity and go for it.
Past Member
Being a disabled person these days, I use the toilets designed for people with problems. In Australia and I imagine most countries, these toilets double as baby change rooms and have sanitary disposal facilities in them. There is no reason why Ostomates can't use them. If anyone does have the gall to question you using them, ask them if they would like to change places with you. That has shut them up in my experience.
Doug

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mart
Don't worry about people around you. I use the handicapped bathroom stall and lock the door behind me. Then I just take my time as long as I need. Also being blind I do take longer to clean the pouch. I like the larger toilits they are bigger and easier to use. So that is my recomendation for you
Mart
Immarsh
GrammyBec, I got over the phobia about public restrooms, when I went on my first hike, after I had my ileostomy...50+ years ago. I was 15. I wanted to do what my friends were doing, so if they were going to pee in the woods, so was I. Sadly, I wet my pants when I peed, but digging a hole, and emptying " Poop" was the easiest thing in the world. Eventually, I married, had kids, divorced, and then began traveling all around the country, and the world . I've crossed the US in a 4 seater single engine plane with no bathroom. When we stopped for fuel...every 3 hours, I found a bathroom. We set our own boundaries, and create our own phobias. I had to empty my pouch on a water taxi in China...it was a closet with a bucket. My friend was supposed to be watching the door for me.. Instead, she got distracted, and I got locked in the dark, with a pail of poop. I survived... There's lots of living out there to do, so don't let a little thing like a bathroom stall stop you. A friend of mine always carries a cup ( for water) in her purse. I never bother to wash out my pouch after emptying, but for convenience, try using the handicapped stall. It works.. best of luck. Marsha
Past Member

I read thru the posts,didn't realize there were disposable bags... I was at the point of just swapping out bags for a new one when using public restrooms... I have the same problems, dang why no sink in the stall would be a tremendous help.... I'm not doing my stuff in front of everyone, sorry that's just me... If I'm going to a movie I time my meals. Haven't done as much traveling.. it sorta sucks, working out is still a tuff one. Don't know if I'll ever get to the size I used to be.

freedancer

I absolutely do!! I get creeped out every time I am forced to use them. I especially hate Wal-Mart restrooms and pretty much have a panic attack if I have to use one and don't get me started on gas station ones!! ;You are not alone!