Reminder for Newbies - Flange Size

Replies
Views
beatrice
Was changing my flange today and just thought to myself how my stoma size has changed since my operation.

So thought I'd post a reminder - especially for newbies (less than a year in) ... have you checked with your Ostomy Nurse or doc to see if you need to go down a size with your flange?

I went down a size about 4 months ago (Ileo in dec 09). Depending what type you use, there may be some adjustment you can do on your own (with the moldable type for example).

If you're getting stool on the area around the stoma and you know you've got a good seal ... a too big flange opening might be the culprit.

All the best, Beatrice
loren4life
Convatec and 100% of the professionals have suggested I don't need as large of wafer as I was started out in, 2 3/4. But I am not excited about giving up square inches of adhesive. It is a confidence issue for me and I am real comfortable and just not wanting to loose that much adhesive. Would like some input from you folks on this amount of adhesive that I'd loose going to a smaller size and whether that is a real concern or not?

My real motivation is that I can't get a small 'button sized' cap pouch (intimate moments ) with out going to a smaller sized flange.

Looking for input here, friends!!! Loren
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Grammybec
I too have the larger wafer, but have cut the opening smaller these days. I started out with a smaller wafer in the hospital but was told to order the larger size when I got out of rehab, which I did. I probably could go with a smaller wafer now that my stoma has shrunk, but like you I am comfortable with the larger size. I really don't think it makes any difference, as long as the opening is the right size.
beatrice
It's the opening size that I have reduced. The flange sticky part is exactly the same, as is the adhesive tape part. So Loren - no worries about there being less adhesive. I'm using the Convatec 2piece systems with the moldable flange.
GACWOCN
Have you ever tried the Cymed pouch with the MicroSkin adhesive barrier? It would provide a large adhesive area too? http://cymedostomy.com/what.html Just a thought.
Best wishes,
Joy

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister