Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 57-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 55-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone
Meet and talk to 20,076 OstoMates

Pain

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 pm
Hi does anyone of you guys get cramps in the back of legs any suggestion greatly helped as keeping me up at night
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:10 pm
Tonic water works great for leg cramps,  I'm told it has quinine in it. Course it doesn't taste that good without gin it !
Cheers Bob
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 pm
You have probably already tried this, but when I get a leg cramp (usually in bed) I just stretch it out by trying to push my heel toward the opposite wall - it usually works.

If not, use the gin.   Smile
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 pm
The quinine is a great solution- I mix tonic water with a flavored water and that makes it tolerable-  I have also recently found quinine tablets at walmart they are inexpensive and no taste Wink  They are sold as leg cramp medicine but check the label and it has quinine- Good Luck!

Lisa
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 am
Hi airforce! Smile  ...hey this is an interesting thing you brought up because many ileostomates get the muscle cramps and I have learned over my many osty years that it is often due to low potassium........it's just something you might want to check into........ Smile  .......keep in mind, one must be careful when it comes to potassium, both levels of too high and too low are neither good so you might want a doctor to blood test you for your level and see if he/she can help you get that balanced, IF that would be the problem....and it might be. Normal potassium range should be 3.7 - 5.2  I was told by my nurse.  It seems I currently have that problem, I just found out two days ago that I am on the low end, have the muscle cramps and weakness and some dizzy spells.... but I'm trying to eat more bananas and other natural sources of potassium first.....though I might need to pop these little white pills if I still have to :/    Good luck with that and let us know how you're doing SmileSmileSmile

~Doe
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:16 am
yep brought some magemism amd potatsium talbets frist night tonight see how i go getting to the end of my 1st week at wek hope not boring you guys been slow and had to have had rest at times bag went once while at work lady i cared for was really understanding embrassing through have by stoma have apointment with specalist 2 weeks will say something i live in new zealand by the way
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:18 am
that was i have a pain by the stoma get i checked in two weks not going back to my second home the hospital though
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 am
creamy peanut butter or the whey power drink is loaded with potassium both cheap and good for you unless you areallergic to them
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:09 am
Awesome weewee! Smile
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:03 am
Hi there.

I get those leg cramps close to every night! I take "Slow K" Potassium tablets every night but i am also taking Swisse glucosamine tablets 1 per night and they are helping a great deal. I also notice that mine plays up more in the cold winters perth gets, so i can only imagine what it must be like in NZ!

I hope you find something that helps you.

Brooke
=)
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:17 pm
Hi, I was told because of colostomy we dont process salt as we should, I've found a packet of crisps for supper does the trick.
Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:16 pm
I suffer from leg cramps as well. Usually in the middle of the night that wakes me in such pain. I try to eat bananas at some point throughout my day. Usually breakfast either cut up on my Special K or mixed in with yogurt. I'm suffering from severe case of mal-absorption of everything right now. Just dealt with swollen legs so bad and painful I couldn't walk.
Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:38 pm
"A packet of crisps"I haven't heard that since I left Scotland , loooong time ago, do they still put the little bag of salt in them ?
Cheers Bob
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.