Cutting the Hole in Flange

In this discussion
Replies
Views
nessy
Dunno if it's just me, but I had a hard time cutting a hole in the flange with scissors, always seem to be a ragged hole?
What I found to be easier is to use a hole punch and a hammer, in my case I happened to have a block of Teflon, but a hardwood 4X4 on end works just as good for the "anvil"

Cheers, Bob.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SheliaBaby

I have had pretty good luck using hemostat-type scissors... the kind that are very pointed and sharp. Even then, though, you still get a ragged edge at times. I have had the best results with precut... I guess everyone just has to experiment to find out what works best for them.

Good luck! Sheila
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gutenberg
Congratulations on coming up with a really good idea, I was fortunate enough to get the precut flanges after many years of cutting that shit hole, now with Adapt seals and precut flanges, I can finally say I got this problem solved. Good job, Ed
nessy

Thanks for the replies and info, I really gotta get out more. I didn't know there are precut flanges.
Cheers, Bob.

loren4life

Mine is a perfect (?) oblong. Don't know of any tools to handle that except scissors. I don't expect perfection so I do a great job always!! Loren

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

After many years of doing just what you explained with the scissors and cutting, I bought through this site a one-piece, rather small in size device that is a metal ring mounted on a round lucite pad that fits in the palm of your hand. The ring is the exact size that I need and all I have to do is place the device on the center of the wafer and put pressure on it as I give it a turn. I get a clean, smooth cut out just at the right size. I usually pre-cut five wafers so that I can have quick access to them without having to go through the entire procedure every time. It is the same basic thing that you have, but because of its one piece and small size, it is very easy to carry it with you when you travel. It is from Nu-Hope Laboratories.

janice

I use a pair of curved scissors made by Coloplast.

Lydia

I have the upturned Coloplast scissors too, they are brilliant.

Lydia x

budd002

I got a pair of tiny curved scissors when I first got my ostomy. I'm thinking that toenail scissors would work as well as they are also curved. Good idea though. Do a bunch at once and have them all ready.

2NDCHANCE

Hi Bob in Port Alberni, yes, I only found out about precuts too about a year ago after the ET nurse told me. So, a lot of getting used to ostomy care is about educating the patient!
Mike in Victoria

greenfairy

Hi, I don't know if maybe your stoma is not the size after surgery that it will stay for the rest of your life, but if you are far enough out post-op, it should be. Once all the swelling goes down, measure your stoma using the round circle cards you can get at any stoma supply place or from an ET nurse. Once you have your stoma size, you can order pre-cut wafers/flanges. I have not cut one myself for 11 years, unless my stoma swells because I am sick or something, then I just make the pre-cut hole a bit larger. Take it from a veteran, once you go pre-cut, you will never go back! Kelli

groovyheaven

I had the curved sharp scissors that I was given in the hospital straight after my operation, but the best ones I know to use were Sainsbury's 99p craft scissors as the sharp edge of the curved scissors kept cutting through the plastic, meaning the smell leaked. xx

Past Member

Here is a new way to cut flanges, if you have the difficulty of scissoring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEHw07ajXc