Help with skin problems! (Links to photos)

Replies
Views
Tiggy

Greetings all of my fellow osto-buddies! In the last 18 months, Tyler has had a skin condition on his chest which our doctor told us was eczema. Tyler copes well with this, and while the rash never went away, it never caused him major problems either. However, in the last four months or so, a strange sort of rash has been slowly forming around the area where his bag usually sits, and this is of great concern to us. Just in the last week, the peristomal area has become itchy, red, and flaky. Tyler is greatly concerned, and we will be seeing a doctor very soon regarding this problem. However, in the meantime, I have uploaded two photographs to my Flickr photostream, in the hopes that someone here can give us advice or offer some clues as to what this skin rash may be.

Please note that the stomal rash in the photographs is NOT AT ALL underneath his appliance - it is strictly *around* the area where the border of the bag usually sits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55632589@N02/?saved=1

PLEASE go to that link, look at the pictures, and then tell me what you guess it might be. I am thinking thrush, eczema, or possibly psoriasis. Does anyone else have a problem like this, or have you ever seen something like this? Please reply - we are very worried because it was SO itchy for him this morning!

Liz

airforce1

Hi, I read your note. I would get a stoma nurse to look at it and ask if it is not cellulitis.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky

Hi Tiggy - I would have said it looks like dermatitis except for the small pimples forming, which makes me suspect it could be folliculitis - my Mom had this and if I remember correctly received an ointment - the name of which I can't recall. You may be able to find it on the Internet - it is very commonly prescribed for skin rashes and probably has a different name in Canada anyhow.

jrlevs
Hi Liz---
I'm afraid I can't put a name to what the condition may be, but the photos looked very similar to a problem that I've recently gone through, and that I lucked into a very simple fix for. I've had an ileostomy for nineteen years now and never had a serious skin condition in all that time. Suddenly I got this raw, red, burning, itchy, and oozy rash, and nothing I tried would get rid of it. Then I remembered a hint I read years ago about applying calamine lotion all around the stoma and several inches out in all directions each time you're making a pouch change---not the fancy kind with any additives like Calahist or the new clear kind, but the original super cheap pink product. The results were amazing. I couldn't keep a pouch on for a day the condition had gotten so bad, and after just one application, things were markedly better, and by the end of one week, I was back to normal. I plan to continue with the calamine as a preventative from now on. I also remember reading that Milk of Magnesia is good for skin rashes. I've never tried it, but I imagine it would also be soothing and would also have a drying effect on the rash.
Hope this helps!
Jane
Tiggy

Thank you all so much! See, I knew this was the first place I needed to go for help with this problem. Folliculitis is a very good guess - I looked it up and think you might be onto something! And calamine lotion - what a good idea! I can't believe my mind never even considered such a simple (but probably effective) means for relief. Alright, those are some great ideas, keep them coming! Tyler probably won't get into see a doctor until the end of this coming week, but we are keeping our fingers crossed!

Liz

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Immarsh
Hi,

My name is Marsha, and I don't think we've "formally met". Do both of you have an ostomy, or only one of you? I've had my ostomy for more than 45 years, and at one time or another, I have had outbreaks, irritations, and rashes.

Although I've heard of using Calamine Lotion and Milk of Magnesia to dry up a rash, I've never used them for a rash related to my ostomy.

But I've had some real issues with rashes and have had several different ointments prescribed. I seem to develop fungal types of rashes in other areas of my body, like leg creases and under my breasts, especially during hot weather. The doctor had prescribed an antifungal, and it worked well. When I developed a similar type of rash on the skin under the pouch, I used the same ointment and it worked well. My doctor also suggested an antifungal powder (Zabsorb AF) for the damp areas. It's used for athlete's foot, "jock itch," etc., and I have found that to be very helpful in both healing and preventing rashes.

I hope this helps.

Marsha
nncc

I have had skin issues the majority of the 2 years I have had my ileostomy. I have what looks like the same condition on both my chest and around my ostomy. I went to a dermatologist and I was told it was psoriasis, which totally makes sense since I had Crohn's, which is an autoimmune disorder just like psoriasis. I was told it is common to develop psoriasis after an ileo since the Crohn's has been removed....not sure if Tyler has/had Crohn's but when it was really bad...the skin that is...I got domoboro, I think it's called...it's like calamine but a powder you mix with water to make a paste...put it on the skin and let it dry...I also put nystatin powder since the pimples and dampness could also be a bit of yeast....I put a dressing like tegaderm over it to protect it....also I would use a pouch cover to keep it from getting irritated more....

Hope this helps

Nancy
Nautical

I had a rash around my stoma about 2 months after my surgery. After going to my surgeon, two ostomy nurses, and two dermatologists, I emailed my problem to an ostomy nurse I saw in the Phoenix magazine. They suggested I cut up a pouch and tape it to the other side of my stomach. It got red there also. They told me to use NOTHING under the stoma. I was using skin prep, a paste, and a powder. Then she prescribed a steroid spray, Clobex. It is a prescription drug, so I got my surgeon to prescribe it for me. The nurse told me to use it only for two weeks, which meant about 4 pouch changes. I used it and after the second pouch change, I saw a change and the rash was gone at the end of two weeks and I have not used it since and I use nothing under the stoma and the rash has not returned. It is expensive, especially if you do not have a drug coverage medical plan, which I don't. It was $238.00 for a two-ounce spray bottle. I would have paid $500.00 if it worked. I could not keep a pouch on more than one day and had to tape them on which gave me additional rashes. Hope this helps.
Bob

texazgal

I've had a similar rash since August. Showed it to my PCP and he thought it looked like a yeast infection. I was using FungiCure (an OTC prep) and it helped a little, but the oil in it was interfering with adhesion. So, on the advice of a wise lady on another forum, I'm using Gentian Violet and it's working! The other thing I bought and tried was Calmoseptine. It helped a little with the itchies, but was a little greasy and caused the edges to lift up. This is not something that is going away overnight, at least for me, I've been fighting it for months but slowly it is improving. I hope something will work for you.

Tiggy
Thanks so much to everyone for the great replies!

Tyler did not have Crohn's disease, it was textbook ulcerative colitis, but someone did raise a good point about autoimmune problems, and how those can manifest in different ways. Even if it were something "simple" like eczema, it's possible that this could be related to autoimmune dysfunction as well. Tyler and I will be seeing our GP at the end of the week hopefully, and some answers might be forthcoming. If not, it'll be off to the dermatologist. I'm sure there is a fix for this, it's just a matter of identifying the problem (fungal, bacterial, viral, autoimmune, etc.) and then discovering what works best in his case.

Once again, thank you!

Liz
Happiness

I have used, and been told that "Stomahesive protective powder" by Convatec is a little miracle in itself for skin problems. You put a light dusting on the weeping part of the skin and wipe off the excess. If you have insurance, they will cover it according to your policy. Hope this helps!

vpl

Hello all, I had a urostomy this year and straight away I have had problems in and around the pouch. Unfortunately, I am allergic to plasters and the stoma nurse suggested that the flange I was given might be the cause of the problem. I have been trying different flanges and preparations and have contacted many manufacturers. They have all been very helpful and sent samples but so far I have not been able to find one product that agrees with the tender skin. The only suggestion that I can pass on is to keep trying different products and hopefully one might be alright.
Oh if only we could let the air get to the skin to heal it..........but we all know that that is impossible for us.
I wish you luck and hope you can find something to help.

Nautical

To East Sussex: As an ostomy nurse told me, change manufacturers of your pouch. Try several. They seem to me, anyway, that they all used a different formula for the adhesive. I am sticking with my Colbex Steroid Spray, it really works and you don't have to use anything else. No powder, no oily stuff or paste. Also, the worst thing for these rashes is to give it air. It makes the fungus grow better if you let air get to it. I read that in our National Ostomy Newsletter. Bob

Tiggy
Grrr, looks like we can't get in to see our regular (and very awesome) GP until two weeks from now! He's on holidays. =/ In the meantime, we will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or bothers Tyler too much, we will go to a walk-in clinic and try our luck there. As it is now, Tyler has an appointment to see our regular GP on the 19th of this month, so hopefully he can hold out til then.

Thanks so much to everyone!!! I will keep you all posted on this nasty rash business.

Liz
healthyguy
Hi Tiggy
After looking at the pictures, I can't tell you what it could be, but he should be seen by his doctor for sure. I had something similar to that, but I forget what it was called. It is usually seen on the trunk area as shown in the pictures. As I said, I can't remember what it was called, but there was nothing that could be done. It just had to go away on its own.
Wish I could help
Dennis
sandwood7

Hi there, new to the site so not quite sure what to expect! Anyway, I was interested in your skin problem as I have a very similar condition. It is driving me mad and real difficulty in keeping an appliance in position. GP not very sympathetic until I showed him a photo and he prescribed a steroid cream which is not working as it interferes with the adhesive on the pouch.
I am at a loss and extremely frustrated as I can't sort the problem.

Eileen

Hi to all. I have found Sween cream very effective in soothing red, dry, sore skin, also weeping skin. It can be worn under the wafer. Any ostomy supplier would carry it. Works for me and I hope it will work for you! Good luck. Love this site!

Tiggy
Hey Sandwood - welcome to the site and our little online community here. I am not an ostomate, but I am the proud wife of one, and so this place has become a bit of a refuge area for me, whenever I'm a little worried, or just when I want to cheer people up by telling them all about how my husband is better off with his bag - and how much I love him, ostomy and all!

If you don't mind me saying so, if your doctor is being useless, it's time for a second (third, fourth, or fifth) opinion.

That's interesting advice about the Sween cream, I shall have to look into it.

Here's to hoping we all get the answers we need soon! I am going to keep everyone posted in this thread.
krus1028

Try a "zinc pyrithione spray". It has helped me with a similar condition.

Kr : )

Tiggy

Awesome! The zinc spray is another one to add to my list!

Oh, just to keep you all updated...I'm convinced now that this skin problem might have nothing at all to do with Tyler's status as an ostomate, because now he's broken out in that rash on his neck, and parts of both arms as well!

We get to see the doctor one week from today - it can't come soon enough!

Tiggy
Hey all, I promised an update when the issue was resolved, and here it is:

The doctor told us that it looked more like contact dermatitis than anything else. We could accept this because after I'd made my posts in this thread, Tyler started breaking out not just around his stoma but everywhere! The poor dude was covered in itchy red bumps on his arms, neck, chest, etc.

Thankfully, the doctor prescribed some miracle cream called "Sarna," and after using it religiously for a few weeks, Tyler's skin woes are now almost 100% cleared up! I even tried putting some on his eczema, just to see what might happen, and some of the eczema spots cleared up as well!

As always, talk to your doctors before deciding on any new treatments, but if you have skin problems in the future, ask about Sarna cream because it worked beautifully for us.
Past Member
Hi all,

My name is Melanie and I have been a nurse for over 20 years with a background of working in intensive care. For the last 8 years, I have been a certified wound, ostomy, and continence nurse working both in acute care and in a home care setting. I would be glad to assist you all from time to time with peristomal skin issues. I hope all of you remain free of any skin issues which can make you feel quite discouraged. I can honestly say that most ET nurses, or as we are called today CWOCN's, are going to be of more help to ostomates than many physicians. I know the physicians in the city I work in send their ostomates to us CWOCN's. Most skin issues are either fungal, an allergic response, or folliculitis, or a combination. But there are other skin issues which are of a more serious nature which thankfully don't occur as often. Everyone take care and glad to be a part of your group.
Tiggy

Thanks for the info Dennis!

Tyler and I have been to see our doctor twice regarding these problems, and thankfully he was able to prescribe a cream called "Sarna". It's basically a low-grade hydrocortisone (I'm sure that is the incorrect spelling). Anyway, the stuff works great! If you should have a rash like this again, it might not hurt to ask your doctor about "Sarna" cream.

Gus

Hi Tiggy.
If those rashes get weepy, try using those tiny baby bibs with the string on them. Tie it around the wafer, and it will soak up any sweat that may be irritating the skin.

Tiggy

Gus - Good advice, and yes we had been doing that before the rash cleared up thanks to the Sarna cream. Any kind of sweating or weeping of fluids can really irritate skin, even when it isn't compromised to begin with.

I hope your issues are going to get sorted out really soon, by the way.

*Hugs*