Too much codeine: Forget the addiction, what will it do?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
solidas

Hi guys, serious question from me. Does anybody out there know about what long-term codeine use can do to the other organs in your body? I have lost my gallbladder from too much Gastrolyte. Having a short bowel, I find it hard to hydrate. Malnutrition is definite. My hair has no growth and nails don't grow. I'm trying to find a balance between food and drugs. Ninety mg of codeine to slow bowel down daily, DHC or morphine for pain at 30mg per day. There's got to be something that's going to pack up at those high doses every day. I don't want that to happen. I'd love to change this. Has anyone got any life-changing secrets on this?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,105 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Tiggy

I'm sorry, I really don't have an answer to your queries. But, I did feel compelled to tell you that overuse of any prescription drug, especially a narcotic, can be extremely bad for you. Be careful!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
jjhallowell
Nurse

I do not know of any physicians prescribing opioids to slow down stool transit time in patients with short gut syndrome. The treatment by medication which works well is by using Sandostatin.
Ask your physician if he (she) will recommend a detox unit where you may regain your life without the use of narcotics.
John H. RN Enterostomal Therapist