Miserable

Replies
Views
lynsie

Have huge stomach wound, size of a football, very little or no muscles, misshapen - ugh! As well as stoma/fistula...get down quite a bit because I cannot do physical things, I live by myself and am constantly draining ostomy day/night. Need friends to chat with. There is no way I can get a reversal as the stomach has thin skin now, no muscles, it's so ugly. If only my doctor had given me a colonoscopy test, I am sure this would not have happened. 4 months in the hospital, 6 surgeries, 3-week coma, heart stopped on the table. Can I take her to court for negligence?

Firegirl25

I'm sorry that you went through all that. It is hard to prove that the doctor was negligent. You probably should consult with another doctor and see if there is anything that can be done to repair the damage. Best of luck to you!!! Keeping a happy thought for you. Dani

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lynsie

Thank you, like noted, feeling miserable today...comes/goes

janice

I was three months in the hospital, so I understand! I had 5 surgeries in 4 years. It will get easier, I promise! Give yourself time to adjust! Reversals don't always work. I had a reversal, only to have my bowels rupture again 6 months later.

Past Member

I know what you are feeling. I spent 3 months away from home. Two weeks in intensive care which I don't remember and 2 more weeks on a ward, then rehab hospital. Before the op, I suffered from diarrhea for about a month and then a perforated colon. My age, arthritis, and weakened condition have been fun. I still have an open wound on my stomach even after 8 months, which I bandage every day on my own. One thing I was told on the ward was to wear a stomach belt to help the stomach muscles. I had to cut a hole in it so that the bag hangs out. I am independent as I live alone with visits sometimes from grandkids or family. I get around on a mobility scooter. I hope that you know you are not alone and you have friends here to talk to. Usually, I just read and don't answer, but I know how you feel.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jojoslife

Hey hunny
I fully understand your sadness. You had a hard time, but I can tell you're a fighter and things can only get better. If you ever see me on site, please give me a hoy. I'd love to chat.
All the best for now; Jojo

jjhallowell

Medical negligence can only be proven if the physician knowingly, willingly set out to cause you harm. I do understand your anger and frustration, yet listen to fellow ostomates who are telling you that it will get better. Time has a way of healing. Work to get through today, one day at a time, if need be, one hour at a time. Get connected to a network of ostomates and discuss solutions. I know that when I was first injured, all I talked about was what happened to me. Those around me began to retreat as they did not know what to do, they couldn't help me and felt worse every time I told them my story. Don't get me wrong, it is important to tell your story for this is the way we cope initially, just be careful not to drive away friends and family inadvertently.
John H. RN Enterostomal Therapist

blueiis
Hi, just remember doctors aren't gods. And sometimes things just don't go right for them either.

Sometimes it's our bodies that defy any attempts at healing. Even the best doctors can't always predict what might happen. I had a blockage in the sigmoid colon. And just as they were finishing up, there was a spill into my abdomen of all the fecal stools that had been blocked. Then I had massive doses of antibiotics. But thanks to great care by the staff and doctors at the Foothills Hospital, I survived and am now starting to get a handle on life again. Don't ever give up.
Lynn
car1951

You've taken the first step - you need to talk to people who know what you are going through. I was in your spot until I found these ostomate forums. I have an ileus and a colostomy, mine was the result of a Kugel mesh. The thing literally tore holes through my abdominal walls and my intestines. I have no chance of a reversal.

It's hard for you to believe - I know - but it will improve over time. All you can do now is tough it out. Unless you have photos, don't even try to explain to laypeople - they don't understand and really don't mean to be mean. If you have photos, by all means have some fun with them. I did - it soothed some of my worst impulses to show the doubters what a 4-inch wide fistula looked like. Thankfully, I've grown past that but I am glad of the photos. My lawyer was delighted with them.

You have access to a computer - use it - it is my lifeline.

Past Member
I must respectfully disagree with our nurse's opinion here.

In law, malpractice is a type of negligence in which the professional, under a duty to act, fails to follow generally accepted professional standards, and that breach of duty is the proximate cause of injury to a plaintiff who suffers harm.

"Intent" has nothing to do with it. If there was "intent," then that would be an additional criminal charge.

Of course, this is in the US. I understand from a quick Internet search that proving liability is more difficult in Canada.

If you truly think your doctor has committed malpractice, immediately seek another doctor and get their opinion. If he confirms, then it's time to talk to a lawyer.

Just my 2 cents...

For your stomach wound, there are things you can do to help it heal. A wound-vac is one option. I had a pretty good "hole" in my abdomen after ileostomy reversal, and we used "wet" dressings with silver alginate "stuffing." This really helped it "fill in" and heal quickly.

If your doc is not listening to your concerns, dump him if you can and get someone better.