Irrigation

Replies
Views
rosienosey

I read recently in a publication from Charter in the UK that there seems to be a system called irrigation, which means spending 30 minutes in the bathroom and then your bowel is clear for almost 24 hours, allowing you to do almost anything, until I suppose you have to visit the bathroom again. Has anyone any idea how this system works? I would be interested to find out.

Past Member

Irrigation works if the remaining colon is in good health. I use it and it works great. Here's a link that will explain quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14kbuw1fU8

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,356 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

Hi, irrigation seems to be frowned upon with some STN's and I can't use it. Wrong disease, lol. Don't anyone there get an ostomy magazine every 4 months? Great reading and you would have known about it for many years. But be careful if you have had any Crohn's diverticulitis. All those, you can't irrigate, so bummer haha for me. xx

Past Member

I'm somewhat new to the irrigation scene and have yet to achieve the ideal no output for 24 hours, but I am still plugging away at it.

Even if I never get to that point, I'd rather have what little output I do get on a daily basis now that I irrigate than if I were not irrigating.

Any other 'gators out there?

Pinky

Hey Sinful - It might take a while to achieve 1, 2 or even 3 days between irrigations.

Mild Mannered Superhero has had good success with his. For some reason, men seem to be able to go longer between irrigations. It depends on what you eat. Low fiber intake lets you go longer in between times.

I think it's a great alternative! ;

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Me too. I think I might be onto something. And I am awaiting final returns as I type this.