Newby

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Blackie43
3 weeks into ostomy, tried new opaque bags with velcro closings. What a difference from the clear bags they send you home with from the hospital. However, I haven't worked out a good schedule for emptying it yet so found myself at 3 a.m. half asleep, dumping the bag. I mustn't have closed it tightly enough and rolled over on it in my sleep and you can imagine what my wife and I woke up to. I am very careful now about sealing it. I guess over time I'll get to know a few tricks but could use any advice.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza
;hi yeah look it is a learning thing it happens to us all if u have an ileostomy get the gel modules put 1 in pouch it soaks up all water no slosh the rest i used to empty eveytimke any thing went into the pouch welcome u just had an accident use deodorants and gas pills all helps , cheers mare -mooza
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady
Hi Blackie, welcome to the site - looks like you have had your initiation early! Horrendous having a 'bagsplosion' at night - it seems that I am having one every other night at the moment, going through a 'phase'!

I must say I sleep on a towel, which helps minimise things a little and also wear a light support over my hernia overnight as it does help contain things a little!

Sometimes emptying in the night will prevent it, but I am so drugged I don't wake up until it is too late!

You may not yet have the bag that suits you best - suggest you ring all the companies that supply product and ask for samples of products. Also try Adapt or Eakin rings which help with the leaks and maybe use a hairdryer to dry your skin before applying. Also check the size of your stoma - after surgery it generally changes size for quite a while, so ensure that you are cutting it to the right size!

Hope some of that might help?
Rach xx
Past Member
Oh, yes, I know what you mean only too well, you think it's a nightmare, but it's real. These days, I try not to eat later than 6p.m. and everytime I wake up in the night, usually two or three times, I make myself get out and empty. Otherwise, I am cleaning myself down in a freezing cold toilet, totally naked (not a pretty sight), mopping up and changing the bed, so wide awake and cold by this time, I can't get back to sleep. It's worth taking a few precautions to avoid all this, but even then it doesn't always work, but does get less often.
I have the mattress protector, and my duvet is a thin one, with an extra blanket, on top, otherwise, I can't get a thick king sized one in my washing machine and would have to keep buying new ones...never mind wearing the machine out.
Have everything out ready on a side table in the toilet to swing into action if need be, you are too involved clutching your tummy and trying to contain the worst of it, to be opening boxes - or looking around for something in a half awake state whilst dripping all over places you'd rather not be wanting to clean up, such as your bedroom carpet. Make sure your toilet is easy to clean, no carpet in there, my bathroom is downstairs, and so, in an emergency, during the night, I have to use the small room next to my bedroom.. And when it happens, don't think you are on your own, someone, somewhere will be going through exactly the same proceedure, Good Luck.
lottagelady
And when it happens, don't think you are on your own, someone, somewhere will be going through exactly the same proceedure, Good Luck.

..... and it more than likely will be me .............!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
a lesson learned the hard way: ALWAYS empty before going to bed, no matter how little.
Past Member
I feel a little guilty about being in this forum, in that I had a reversal procedure a year after my colostomy and am really doing great. Just thought I might help in some small way by shareing some thoughts. One trick I learned was how to "burp the bag". This requires good timing and a little practice. I sat in an upright position, open the bag just a little and applied pressure to the mass, forceing the gas from the bag, This did away with the balloon look and eased the pressure. As the bag enflated with gas it becane distorted and caused it to break away from the glue. Sure all have experienced that. To all who are anticipating a reversal....congratulations! To all who are not getting a reversal......think of the alternative.........and bless you. It really ain't all that bad is it?
Past Member
It really ain't all that bad is it?

Some people have a bowel inside, some have one outside that's the only difference.
bes0642
The neat thing about being an Ostomate is how much money we save on toilet paper. I've be an Ostomate for 5 years and I figure I've saved about $1000 USD . At least there's a bright side to everything if you'll stop and think about it. Ha! Have a great day!

By the way I use a clip at night to prevent the roll lock from opening. Fortunately, I've not had a mid night poo party.
lottagelady
By the way I use a clip at night to prevent the roll lock from opening. Fortunately, I've not had a mid night poo party.[/quote]

You haven't had a midnight poo party yet? You haven't been iniated into the club then yet! That's amazing!
Rach xx