Hernias

In this discussion
Replies
Views
margie

Hi
I have been thinking (worrying) about hernias. I do get a bit of puffing out around my stoma sometimes and I was wondering if aside from support belts and careful lifting, are there exercises you can do to strengthen your abdominal muscles? Would something like Pilates help? Anyone tried this and found it beneficial?
Want to try to avoid things getting worse if possible.
Thanks
Margie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Hi Margie ... I asked my physio whether she could give me anything to do that and strengthen my back and core stability, and she said she wouldn't as it may compromise the hernia further (mine is huge) .... I do gentle yoga with all the elderly ladies in my village and that does help stretch things out a bit and keep things a bit more supple, so I suppose Pilates would do something similar. Good luck, I'm sure someone else may have different ideas ... I suspect it depends on how fit you were pre-op too?
Take care,
Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
beatrice
Same with me -- I was cautioned to watch the abdominal exercises (I have a small hernia developing near the stoma). Docs' words -- if not done properly it will cause more harm than good.

So I wear a support belt when I am active (gardening, hiking, swimming in choppy water, major housework) and then do the 'engage stomach muscle' clenches/holds to help strengthen every time I think of it.

One exercise that I was told I could try was to lie on the floor and raise my feet a few inches from the floor and hold. I could tell right off that this was too much for my abs.

Be careful. I'd go the gentle yoga route/stretching, remembering to engage your tummy muscles with bends and turns.

All the best,
Beatrice
bikerboy

I have a peristomal hernia. I went to see my doctor and she said if I didn't have good stomach muscles before, it was too late to get them now. Once the hernias start, you either stop the lifting or it's surgery. They can put a stainless mesh inside around the stoma or move the entire stoma to your other side and fix the herniated side. My doctor said to try the belts first, but you have to change your lifestyle. I'm a welder and 52. I have a long way to retirement and don't think I could make a career change now. The money's too good and this dog can't be retrained. So it's a coin toss what to do.
Bikerboy Greg