Experiences with Open Mesh Hernia Repair?

Replies
Views
airforce1

Yep, I had the mesh repair for my hernia. I was back there 3 weeks later. They had to put me under, cut around the stoma, and fix the hernia with part of my skin. I have had no trouble for 5 months.

Tiggy

Rach;

I really don't know the first thing about hernias, peristomal hernias, or hernia repair surgery. I just wanted to put in my two cents and let you know that I am thinking about you and hoping you get all the info you need before deciding on a course of action.

Keep us posted!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

C Cogan

Hello both L and B ladies: My thought is that if you have to undergo another surgery to correct a hernia and can have a reversal, why not try the "hookup" if it is possible. I have had C-Diff twice and this is what makes me hesitate about further surgery. But may have it, nevertheless. C Cogan

Past Member

Having a hernia now the size of a melon, around and to the side of my urostomy, I read this thread in the hope of 100% successes before my appointment with the surgeon in two days' time, when I expect him to suggest (recommend?) surgery.

Since I have no pain, but the bulge is just very unsightly, I think I may decline his kind offer until it becomes absolutely necessary.

I shall keep watching this space to see how all you brave people get on.

lottagelady
Just a thought, Majic - and one which I am holding as the main reason to go through with this horrific op, is that if I need to have it done in an emergency due to it strangulating or something - then I would be operated on by a general surgeon in my local hospital who has no real expertise in that area and could leave me in more of a mess than I already am..... However, if I have it done electively, then I will get the top guns from a London Teaching Hospital who are experts in this area and have more of an interest in doing me right!
Rach xx

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
groovyheaven

Hi, I have had one hernia operation and had a plastic mesh fitted as they felt that the 'natural' one (pig or something I think :S). I took everything so easy, gradually easing myself back into exercise etc, but a week after my 6-8 week follow-up appointment with my surgeon, I developed a second hernia. Maybe this is just me and other people's hernia surgery went better but yeah. Good luck on your surgery xxx.

KennyT
Hey Rach, I don't know if you have seen this site. Food for thought.

http://www.hernia.org/stoma.html

Ken.
RockyMtnHigh

Bluezz, thanks for your input regarding the mesh. I had an infection develop behind the mesh inserted in Dec. 2010. The doctor found E. coli, so they removed the suspicious-looking part of the colon - a section with many ragged diverticuli - and did an ostomy. I still wonder if the mesh might have caused abrasion of the colon, as the colon at that site (not the same as the part of the colon removal) was a big mess. I am really anxious about having the reversal and stoma hernia repair, in which they will want to use mesh again. Any additional info you have on the mesh would be appreciated.

Telecaster
I had an inguinal hernia repair done about 2 months ago, a mesh job, and whereas it seems to be healing OK, it seems to have transferred abdominal pressure onto the old scar tissue where I used to have my backside, i.e. in my Ken/Barbie Butt.

It itches and pulls, and feels either sore, cold, itchy all day as I get abdominal pressure on it.

Can't help thinking I either have some internal swelling behind the mesh, or the strength of the mesh has transferred abdominal pressure there. Or when they stuffed my (big) inguinal hernia back in, it is putting pressure there. It all started two weeks after the (routine) groin hernia op, which was done as a day case. Either that or I am getting an incisional hernia there, even 12 years after having the original ileostomy surgery. Which will take some fixing, I'm sure.

Will find out next week when I go back to my original colorectal surgeon.

Hernia ops with mesh are not as reliable as they make out, I think!