Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

CAN WE EAT SALAD

Posted by WOUNDED DOE, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:53 am

margie wrote:
hi i also agree with everyone that you could try things slowly and see how you go. i had colon cancer which is why i had most of my colon removed and have recenty been changing my diet to include a lot of ant-cancer foods this includes lots of veg and fruit. had raspberries yesterday and was ok with them. i think it is important to stay healthy and eat healthy foods  so i'm glad you got such a positive response here and good advice. good luck
marge

You are right Margie and everyone needs the nutrition and anti-oxys big time....and then of course there is one of the best kitchen friends we all can possibly have.......the juicer!! SmileSmileSmile  ...mix the potent wonderful veggies and fruits together and cheers!! SmileSmile
Reply by mooza, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:17 am
Hey maggie I eat everthing as well and No colkon Permanent ileostomy as well i do get a few bllockages but i dont chew enough i guess i dont eat many nutsanyway. I also Drink alcohol and anything in between i think my Obdtructions are from scar tissue problems or i look at foo likr right now i want a peach i just bought het its worth a little pain or not Cool mare      -  mooza
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:31 am
I've been wondering about lettuce, not had it in nearly 5 years, and eat other salad foods including radish, and spring onions, we grow our own veg in a small way, so feel obliged to eat them too!
The only thing I've had a blockage with,  is a slice of mushroom, which became stuck for several hours, scary!  now I grate them, and had no more trouble. If you eat beetroot, don't worry that you are bleeding to death, it's just the colour going through, very quickly too!!
A Happy New Year to you all, may you  have a good and healthy 2011, and a big thankyou for such wonderful friends on this site.
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:21 am

Florrie wrote:
I've been wondering about lettuce, not had it in nearly 5 years, and eat other salad foods including radish, and spring onions, we grow our own veg in a small way, so feel obliged to eat them too!
The only thing I've had a blockage with,  is a slice of mushroom, which became stuck for several hours, scary!  now I grate them, and had no more trouble. If you eat beetroot, don't worry that you are bleeding to death, it's just the colour going through, very quickly too!!
A Happy New Year to you all, may you  have a good and healthy 2011, and a big thankyou for such wonderful friends on this site.

Regarding the mushrooms Smile  YES grating is a super idea!!  In fact I forgot to mention in my post that the only way I can now eat mushrooms is if I chop them into TEENY pieces....one of my favorite things to eat lately is home-made mushroom soup, a recipe from one of my best friends, I am addicted to mushroom soup lol...and I can eat bowl after bowl as long as the mushrooms are TINY bits....then no trouble at all SmileSmile
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:34 am
THANK YOPU EVERYONE, bless you bes0642, well done on no blockages,
im trying new things today, iv been shopping and im having a small shicken salad for my tea,   
so thank you again everyone, i really appreciate all the advice from you, keep well.maggie.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 pm
Lies!! Eat whatever you want!! When I had the bag I would eat nuts, popcorn, salads, whatever I wanted.
I now have a Continent Ileostomy, so I can't eat lettuce because it will stick to the tube I use to catheterize my pouch, but when you have an end ileostomy, that is not a problem. The problem will happen when you don't chew your food well. If you are worried about food getting caught up, just don't eat a huge quantity, chew it well, and drink something like grape juice or prune juice to loosen up the stool.
cpk
Reply by cpk, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 pm
Just chew it thoughly.  I eat anything except brocolli or calliflower because I hate it!  E.G. for nuts make it into peanut butter before you swallow and good luck!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:44 pm
I do not eat salad or fruit on an empty stomach; I always eat a couple of bites of something else first.  This has worked for me for 6 years.....hope this helps you too!!  I eat nuts on an empty stomach, not a lot, but I need the protein.
Reply by Immarsh, on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:10 am
Hi,

I've had my ostomy for more than 45 years, way before they ever had "stoma nurses".  

My doctor at the time told me to try different foods, to see how they agree with me.  So that's what I've been doing for all these years.   I've found that some ( raw) foods agree with me, and others don't.  I can't eat raw carrots, or celery, but can eat lettuce, tomatoe, cucumbers, onions.  I often have salad, but am careful not to have it on an empty stomach ( or I get the "runs") and I don't have a lot of it, too late at night.    As for nuts, some are better than others.  I don't have a problem with cashews, but sometimes other nuts cause problems so I avoid them.  I can eat cooked cabbage that's shredded, and cole slaw, but not raw cabbage in salads.   I can't  digest  raw or cooked whole leaf spinach, but chopped spinach isn't a problem.   As time has gone by, I've developed some problems digesting foods I used to be able to eat.  So the best advice I can give you is to try small amounts of new foods to determine what works for you.  

Write if you have any other questions.

Marsha
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:03 am
There is really only 1 rule with an Ileostomy. Trial and error. try and eat everything and you will work out pretty quickly what you can and can't eat. I shouldnt eat peanuts but i do. they block me big time. just as it's been said in the posts, lotsa water. You are meant to have a better lease of life after surgery not be bound to the whims of some outrageous diet.
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:26 am

Gus wrote:
There is really only 1 rule with an Ileostomy. Trial and error. try and eat everything and you will work out pretty quickly what you can and can't eat. I shouldnt eat peanuts but i do. they block me big time. just as it's been said in the posts, lotsa water. You are meant to have a better lease of life after surgery not be bound to the whims of some outrageous diet.

Said quite perfectly Steve! Wink Smile
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:11 am
thanks everone, i had a eautiful salad yesterday and again today, no probs what so ever, im so please,
but it just goes to show, if it wasnt for this forum i would never had tried,as my stoma nurse said no to all raw foods, im going to tyy a little hand full of nuts today and see if thats ok,   
thank you every one im so happy i love salad, maggie,
Reply by beyondpar, on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:27 am
Mag,
  the lesson here is that Ostomates KNOW it all....Because we live it on a daily basis..........While doctors think they know it all  they dont,  and WOCN  's  try and are our best advocate in our journey,  they too dont know it all.  And lastly  it is us........all of us on this forum  where all the answers you could ever hope for are.........There is more absolute truths on here than you can ever find from any medical person.....PERIOD
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 pm
your right, thank you,
Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:12 pm

beyondpar wrote:
Mag,
  the lesson here is that Ostomates KNOW it all....Because we live it on a daily basis..........While doctors think they know it all  they dont,  and WOCN  's  try and are our best advocate in our journey,  they too dont know it all.  And lastly  it is us........all of us on this forum  where all the answers you could ever hope for are.........There is more absolute truths on here than you can ever find from any medical person.....PERIOD

BRAVO!!!!   SO true!!!  .....and I have 34 years of having an ostomy to slam my hand down on the table and agree with Michael 100%   ...and I have had a few doctors ( and trust me I've seen MANY doctors in my day) who have actually told me this same thing...now that is something I personally doubt many doctors will do, admit to their lack of personal knowledge on so many of our issues, in fact one of my Marshfield Doctors said he has much to learn from his Ostomate Patients.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.