Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

CAN WE EAT SALAD

Posted by Williamjefferson, on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:28 pm
Before our Eliostomy we did not notice the food that passed through our intestines. I feel the only thing missing is my large bowel. Food had to go through the small intestine then so why not now. I eat everything now that I did before. I do chew my food better after a blockage that really was caused from an adhision wrapped around my intestine. I had eat alot of kidney beans and they were blocked. Had to have surgery and the doctor told me that the adhision had closed my intestine to the size off a pencil. After surgery out come the beans. I still eat them but make sure I chew them up good. Know other problems. I love taco salads,corn on the cob,mushrooms,and all veggies. I can also eat popcorn by the bowl full. We all are a family and we know best about each other as we have been there and done that. I love my fellow ostomates. Thank you to all.
Reply by DianeRaven, on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 pm
I eat salad,vegetables,etc.I think its trail and error;"Bag Ladies" [Stoma Nurses] don't know everything.....
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:23 am
Last evening, I had a huge (for me) chicken stir fry  Crunchy beansprouts, peppers, cabbage strips,  grated mushrooms, carrots, everything forbidden in there.  Sat back and waited for the explosion to happen all evening,  slept very lightly incase the bedclothes needed changing, and lo and behold, to think I got away with no "trouble". Amazing. However, still not tried lettuce.
Reply by Stef, on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi I've mine since January . I was told the same but over last few wks ive tried different things out to see what happens.   I had complications with mine and ended up in hospital for 3 months it stopped working.  I can't have dairy or gluten since I had op.  Onions ran straight through me.  I eat apples, peaches without skin no problem. Tried lettuce last wk and had no problems.  I also use lomotil which helps me big time.  I don't have to empty bag half as  much anymore.  

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.