Seeking Input from Ostomates: Airport & Sea Port Security Screening

Replies
Views
Avsec
My company trains airport and sea port security screeners, and each year we try to provide genuinely helpful subjects in the refresher training syllabus. I am not an ostomate, but I hope that through hearing from some ostomates, we may be able to ensure we provide useful training in relation to searching people with stomas in airports and ports. My intention is to ensure screeners can still satisfy the exacting security requirements, but in such a way as to leave any stoma bags, pads, etc., intact as well as the customer's dignity.

As a result of a reported incident from an American airport in which we understand a stoma bag was disrupted during a search, we would like to cover this subject in some detail. I have already devised a presentation addressing the subject, but I would really like to hear from some ostomates about the practical difficulties airport security screening may or may not present for them. If anyone would be prepared to pass on experiences, good or bad, we would be very interested. Our aim is to help our trainees to be able to ensure that the security requirements can be met in the most effective manner, but without mishaps of the sort reported and without harming the dignity of the individual. We are a UK Department for Transport Accredited training provider, and we feel there is a genuine need here. Any comments or suggestions gratefully received from anyone.
weewee

Why don't you send them to a military boot camp if they can't make it like the people that served our country? Then they don't deserve the job to protect it. And you can't teach people respect if they never had any. AND NOT THE LITTLE NANCY BOOT CAMP THEY HAVE. Oh, you can't talk to me, I have a stress card. Boot camp was made to find people strong enough to handle battle, to be trained for anything. I did my time, make them do theirs.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Immarsh
Hi,

Interesting that you should write, questioning Ostomates. I travel frequently by air, and have had many experiences ....some positive and other's negative. I have several othermedical issues, that also present problems..

I have sleep apnea, and use a c-pap. Security use to just look at the machine, and let it go. Now they insist on taking it out of the case testing it. I travel with the hose mask still attached as it's too difficult to remove and put back together. That has been a very time consuming experience....since we're only allowed to take on one carry one. My carryone has to accomodate, my ostomy supplies, the c-pap machine, medications, and syringes for my diabetic condition. I take 8 shots a day, so if I'm away 3 weeks, you do the math. I've been questioned about that aslo.

But the best lesson I learned was to pre-cut the holes in my faceplates before boarding the plane, since we can't take scissors on board. The pre-cut hole is tiny, and opening up the packet before using, causes the face plate adhesive to dry out, when exposed to air. I use to keep a tiny pair of manicuring scissors in with my surgical supplies ( pouches, wafers, tape, wipes, and clips) but when screening got tight, they took away my scissors. I was concerned if I had a leak on board during a 19 hour flight, so I wanted to cut a hole in two faceplates. They wouldn't let me touch the scissors, and one of the guards tried to cut the hole for me. She ruined the faceplate, and so tried another. She cut through a second one, before I called for a supervisor, and they took me to a private room, and allowed me to cut the faceplates, before taking away the tiny scissor. The entire issue was humiliating.

Because my pouch has no metal, I've never had trouble going through security.

I hope this is helpful for you.A little more understanding and sensitivity is needed when security guards encounter situations they're not familiar with. Obviously, I no longer take a scissor on board.
Avsec
Dear Immarsh

Thank you for your response, most helpful. Not too many people have come forward so far, but most of what I have received has been very useful. The comments about the use of scissors are of great interest and I would like to quote some of this particularly in relation to the need to cut holes in the plates, if you don't mind.

Best regards, Paul
Past Member
Hi, thanks for your enquiry, it's a subject I am very interested in at the moment.

I have only been through the full-body scanners and pat-downs twice so far, both at LAX (Los Angeles) on outgoing and incoming flights to Australia.

The first time I was asked to step through the full-body x-ray (which was a random check because not everyone went through), I mentioned to the security guard that I had an ostomy. He then had to ask one of the older guards what one was, and then a female security guard asked me to step aside after I went through the x-ray for a pat-down. It was all very discreet. I never felt like she was intrusive. We chatted about ostomies, and I never felt embarrassed. I was just eager to head to my outgoing flight, which I was running late for.

On my last flight back to the states, everyone went through the full-body x-ray. I never mentioned the ostomy, never had a pat-down, and got through twice as quickly. It was surprising because I thought TSA would be more concerned about the incoming flights than the outgoing flights.

It will be interesting to see what happens on my return in a month, seeing as the pat-downs have stepped up a notch.

Perhaps you could forward a copy of your research to the TSA. Their ignorance is unbelievable at times! ;

Cheers,
Jo

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Avsec
Dear Jo,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Perhaps my industry collectively could learn more about the many different conditions passengers may have and how they might affect search procedures. The response I have had makes me think we should look at a different condition each year in training. With such large numbers of people involved in aviation security, improving things is never easy, but we will certainly do what we can with the information we now have. Given that aviation security training program content is mandated in many countries, it certainly seems to me that covering ostomies and other similar subjects should perhaps be added to the requirements in detail.

TSA's prime responsibility is the security of outbound flights. Screening arriving passengers in a similar fashion was introduced in the US after Abdul Mutallab's failed bombing of a Northwest Airlines flight Christmas 2009. It is interesting that everyone refers to pat downs in relation to passenger screening in the US. It is not a term we use in the UK and in fact in Europe, as it implies a speedy process in insufficient depth. I think there are still some key differences in standards and there is more resistance amongst the US public.

Do please let us know how you get on on your next trip in a month's time.

Best regards, Paul
PaulM
Hi,

I'm glad that someone is considering this issue in the UK. I have an ileostomy, but also have a metal hip replacement - a combination which always ensures that I get 'special treatment' at airport security.

I recently completed a trip which involved passing through 8 different airports. Very few of the staff I encountered knew what an ileostomy was. I received pat downs at every airport and partial strip searches at the majority. I found that, particularly at the busier airports, there was scant regard paid to my disability. At Heathrow and at Bangkok my request to be searched in private were ignored and pat downs were undertaken without consent having first been given. At Heathrow I also had the pleasure of trying out the new whole body scanner - I have to say that I had no problem with it. Sadly it was used AFTER my ileostomy bag had been fumbled with by a security officer who obviously had no idea what it was (and yes I did try to tell him!)

At smaller airports, particularly in Australia, the treatment I received was no less thorough, but was carried out compassionately. Staff there were always concerned to have proper consent before laying hands on me and were willing to let me explain anything they did not understand. What a contrast!

With the gradual introduction of the whole body scanner, more ostomates will be getting the secondary searches that I have come to expect every time I travel. If my experience at Heathrow is anything to go by, I think it is only a matter of time before an incident similar to that reported from the USA occurs here. I have complained to BAA concerning my treatment at Heathrow - not that I expect it to do any good.

Another point for your course - at every airport, while I was subjected to a extended search my wallet, passport, laptop and other belongings were left on the conveyor to be picked over by other passengers. This caused unnecessary additional anxiety. It would be great if security staff could offer to secure passengers belongings before commencing an extended search.

I could write at length about my experiences at various airports, but I don't want to unduly alarm those with ostomies who might need to fly in the forseeable future. Suffice it to say that I will be avoiding air travel for a while!
Pinky
Hi all - I just did my first flight since having this colostomy, and there were no issues for me. There is no body scanner at San Diego Lindbergh Field. I was worried all the supplies and prescription medication I had in my carry-on might be searched - no problem.

At San Francisco (SFO), I was subjected to a pat-down, but it was my own fault - I had read not to wear a long skirt, but I always do - and the female TSA lightly skimmed my legs outside my skirt. It was not invasive in any way.

I was really surprised after all the angst among ostomates, especially through UOAA.
PaulM

I think if you only have a stoma bag, you are unlikely to encounter problems - even a full stoma bag will not set off a metal detector.

I think you'll find that the people with 'angst' are those with additional disabilities such as metal replacement joints. They can't pass through the metal detector without setting it off and will always get additional screening. I actually have no problem with that - but I do object to being treated like a criminal! All I am asking for is to be treated as a person and not a piece of meat!

I am getting rather fed up with ostomists saying that the kind of treatment I received is OK and that they always get through security without a problem.

Until you have disabilities which result in secondary screening every time you fly, you won't understand how it feels for queuing for a security check wondering what level of humiliation you are going to be subjected to this time. In six weeks, I have probably had more secondary screenings than most people will experience in a lifetime - so I believe I am in a good position to describe what these screenings can be like.

The introduction of full body scanners instead of metal detectors for initial screening will probably result in more ostomists being selected for secondary screening even though they have nothing else to attract attention to them. We should be pressing for all security staff, and particularly those operating the full body scanners, to be up to speed on ostomies.    

Incidentally, I have never had a problem with the ostomy supplies in my carry-on baggage. I precut the wafers before traveling and put the scissors in my checked baggage. Security staff are quite rightly looking for weapons and explosives - they aren't the least bit interested in your ostomy supplies!
ilsn2u

I have two hip replacements, so I always set off the scanners. So far, when I've had the "pat downs," and have explained that I have an ostomy bag, things have gone relatively well. One time, however, I was asked to go in a private room, and they wanted to see the bag. Some of the bags can be seen through and others cannot--I usually wear the kind that cannot--so I'm not sure what was accomplished by having the TSA people look at the bag. Happily, two of them got together and let me go through. I'm beyond the point of getting embarrassed about these things...at some point, there is no dignity left. I have not flown since the new regulations came into effect, so I don't know what the next flight will be like. I usually--before I go through the scanner--tell the TSA people that I have two hip replacements and will set off the alarm. And then I tell the person who is going to deal with me that I have the ostomy. I wonder if this kind of advance notification of the ostomy might help avoid some nasty situations.

I have actually been in hospitals where the triage nurse doesn't know what an ostomy is, so I guess it isn't surprising that the people in airports don't know!

teacher

I have had my ileostomy for over 2 years. We have traveled by plane fairly frequently since then and I have never had a problem. However, this past Christmas, I was randomly assigned to go through the new body scanner at Denver Airport. After going through, they delayed me for a while. I then mentioned that I had an ostomy. After hearing this, 2 female screeners took me to a private room. My husband was allowed to accompany us. When I asked if they wanted me to pull down my pants or pat me down, they immediately backed away and told me that they were not allowed to do that. I was asked to rub my hand over the bag myself and then rub that hand onto some type of paper. One of the screeners left with the paper and came back a few minutes later saying everything was fine and I was done. I was treated with the utmost respect and kindness. I didn't mind it at all and was curious about the process. Evidently, they just wanted to make sure my bag wasn't carrying any type of explosive material or drugs. I found the experience interesting and had no problem with it.

smith311
I personally do not fly often, and in fact have only flown once since I've had my ileostomy, and that was before the full-body scanners were implemented. I watched the recent news stories about the person who had a urostomy and encountered a great deal of humiliation while going through security checks, and seeing this really made me worried about flying. However, the one thing I seem to be hearing over and over is that a great many personnel who work at the airports and handle the security (scanners, pat-downs, etc.) seem to be totally uneducated about ostomies. My request would be that the airline security agencies simply educate about ostomies any workers who are in a position to enforce or carry out "intimate" searches of an airline passenger, so that they at least know what an ostomy is. It seems to me that it would go a long way if passengers with ostomies did not have to try to educate security on this medical condition themselves, and that security workers would be much more understanding if they didn't have to try to comprehend something new to them that a passenger was claiming on the spot, especially when the security worker might be trained to be suspicious of such things, and instead receive a formal training on such conditions. I agree that replacement joints and other prosthetics containing metal are more likely to consistently cause scrutiny from security, but I think it may be that these types of conditions are often more familiar to the average person than is the ostomy condition. After all, I personally had no idea what an ostomy was or what type of care it required, or even heard the word ostomy, until I developed UC and a few months later had one myself. Just my thoughts on the matter.

George
Pinky

I apologize to PaulM and any others that read my post and felt it was flippant or otherwise insensitive.

I was a bit giddy from all the fun and frivolity in San Francisco.

I felt the best strategy for me was to just tell the TSA checking my boarding pass and ID that I had a medical condition and required a "private screening". That's when she said only if I set off the metal detector would I be considered for additional screening.

This was the tact that we decided in my UOAA-affiliated support group would be a proactive way of avoiding a potentially humiliating incident.

"Angst" as a poor choice of words. I should have said "agonizing". All anyone can do is take the plunge and try flying. Personally, I find still having to remove my shoes the most ridiculous thing of all!

sunasea

Hi and thank you for the post. I travel a lot and always worry about this subject. Please pass this info on to the US airports too, if not already done so. I have been asked by security if I am carrying a gun in the waist of my pants. Is there a letter we could use from our doctors to let security know?

PaulM

To be fair to TSA, the problem is that there is no way that a security officer can tell whether a letter is genuine or fake, so it will make no difference to the screening you receive. It could be useful if you want to avoid having to tell the security officer of your disability, if for example you are travelling with friends or colleagues who are unaware of it. TSA now have a card which can be downloaded which can be used to notify a screener of your disability.

I think that we should be lobbying for some form of registration of our disabilities, such that when we are screened the agent can be sure the disability is genuine. Maybe details could be added to our passports after being officially verified. This might then allow for some relaxation of the screening requirements. Until then expect them to assume that your ostomy bag contains explosive until you prove otherwise!

Assuming that you don't have any metal joints that will set off the metal detector, your best bet is to try to avoid the new 'Nude-O-Scope' scanners. Your ostomy will likely show up as an 'anomaly' on one of those. There is a lot of information on the travel/security forum on www.flyertalk.com. A bit of research may enable you to reduce or even eliminate the risk of an encounter with one of these scanners. If you go through the metal detector you should have no greater risk of an intrusive pat down than any other traveller.

Always empty your bag before entering security and be prepared to tell the security officer of your disability if you get pulled for secondary screening. It helps to be wearing reasonably tight fitting clothing as they tend to be suspicious of baggy clothes.

If you get a secondary screening be prepared for it to be a disagreeable experience, but not a horrific one. nbsp; nbsp;I think you should be entitled to ensure that the officer understands your disability before you consent to a search, but sadly this is not the case. You are entitled to ask to be searched in private and you are entitled to ask for an independent witness to be present. If you are lucky you will get someone who knows about ostomies or at least is prepared to learn. If you are unlucky and have a bad experience, then please file a complaint - we need to be vocal when things go wrong.

Consider yourself lucky - with a metal hip and an ostomy I get secondary screening EVERY time! It is never pleasant, but really bad experiences are fortunately rare.
smith311

Thanks JohnW, that seems like a really good idea. Having it printed out in a professional-looking format should help credibility, especially with the doctor's signature (and maybe their office telephone number) and will remove the need to try to come up with the right words on the spot, which may be impossible if you are not fluent in the language. Most likely I will use one of these once I am able to download one. If you don't mind my asking, have you used yours, and how did it work?

Thanks again,
George

P.S., The web page that you linked to instructs the reader to click on the appropriate flag for the country being visited, but unfortunately I did not see any flags nor any other links to the actual certificates. Perhaps I was overlooking something.

Past Member

Hi, I have just checked myself. I think they have changed it. You now have to send a SAE for it, not download anymore, but it is still free.

Past Member

I recently went through one of those X-ray scanner things, and they pulled me aside and asked me what was on my stomach. I said an ostomy as quietly as possible. The lady goes, "What?" So then I have to say it louder in front of all the security and people waiting in lines around me. Then she tells me to lift my shirt in front of everyone so she could see it. And then she yells it into her mic thing on her shoulder to the other security guards. My family...my daughter was there and had to stay with my parents when they took me to the search room. This big lady with latex gloves and one other chick comes into the room and locks the door. She doesn't have a clue what an ostomy is, I can tell by the way she reacted when I said it. They didn't explain what was going on or what they were going to do. So all I kept thinking is I'm going to get strip searched and some other unpleasant things LOL. She touched the ostomy and then this paper strip. And then she goes, "You touch it," and then rubbed my hands on the paper strip. They left me in the room for a few minutes and then came back and said I could go get on the plane. My mom started complaining as soon as I walked out of the room...she almost started crying. She was pissed they singled me out like that, knowing I don't talk or share with people about my condition. And she knew I was embarrassed and humiliated. My daughter asked me if I was okay and what was going on. Needless to say, I don't ever want to go through that again. As much as I love traveling, that was horrible!!!

smith311
This is exactly what I am afraid of, and it's happening for exactly the reason I was afraid it would, because the security personnel who actually deal personally with you and I are not properly educated in ostomies. Can you imagine how much easier this would be if that security person you dealt with simply understood what an ostomy was? How many people with ostomies are going to have to go through this type of treatment before something gets done about it, I wonder? What we need is someone with the authority to do something about it, whoever that might be I don't know, to institute additional training for these security individuals that includes if nothing else at least fifteen minutes worth of education on ostomies and how to deal with people who have ostomies in a respectful and understanding manner. And it has to include everyone in the security department who might come in contact with travelers with ostomies. We just have to make them aware of it such that they don't treat it with suspicion or distrust.

alevans, I am very sorry to hear that you had to endure the experience that you described. I would hate to see you give up traveling if it is something that you like doing just because of this lack of education. We've already had to come to terms with this change to our bodies, some of us permanently, by no means should we be treated worse in any aspect of our lives because of it. I applauded an earlier post for introducing the travel certificate, and I hope that helps travelers with ostomies avoid this type of treatment, but unfortunately I still have some doubts because most likely the security workers are trained to be suspicious, and if they aren't trained to acknowledge a certain certificate or condition, then they may not acknowledge it. And I don't think it's sufficient to say, well our security is foremost and if a few people with ostomies have to suffer for the greater good than so be it. No, that's not going to fly, no pun intended. Again, we have to live with this, some mind it more than others but none of us should be made to suffer more because of it.

Sincerely,
George
Past Member

Smith311...I couldn't have said it better myself! I agree, something needs to be done for sure. And we do have a lot to deal with already. Not to mention being embarrassed and pointed out in front of everyone that you are different than others...just makes it that much harder to deal with. I agree, security at airports should be trained to deal with stuff like this. But most likely, this will not happen. They are already having money issues as it is. Like they are going to spend more to make our lives easier? I doubt that. And the fact that there are so many different medical conditions to learn about and different countries and laws to deal with as well. It doesn't seem like something that everyone could be on the same page with. There was another issue that does need to be changed though. When I was on the plane, I had a leak and had to change the entire ostomy...wafer and all. You have to wait your turn while you're crammed in a plane full of people. It was so embarrassing...I'm sure everyone on the plane was like OMG, you smell like crap LOL! On top of that, you cannot bring any chemicals, so deodorizers are out of the question as well as anything else you may use to help with the odor. Anyone who needs to cut the wafers to size, you better do it before you get on the plane! LOL

I think another reason why nothing has been done about this is because...we need to speak up! I know I don't like to talk about stuff that embarrasses me or upsets me. But to talk to hundreds of people over and over again to get my point across and try to make a difference, that would take a strong courageous person!

Past Member

Oh, and you cannot bring your carry-on bag to the bathroom with you either without being looked at as a suspected terrorist. Not to mention clunking everyone in the head on your way to the restroom. So I had to get everything out and hide it in my pants and hope nobody saw or could hear the crinkling of the plastic wrappers as I tried to get to the bathroom as quickly as I could. And you would think the occupied sign would be enough for people to leave you alone...no, people were knocking on my door. The stewardesses...I could hear them saying she has been in there for a long time! There are so many aspects of this that would need to be changed in order to make our lives easier. And there were so many things normal people do not even think about, have to think about, or ever worry about in their lifetimes that we have to.

ZACK

Had my ileostomy since 1977 so I'd probably forget to forewarn any screener that I had one anyway, so I suppose I'd be hauled off for inspection as others have related. Just another part of the curse nature dumped on me.

Would say it seems a simple and obvious screener procedure ought to be to immediately and with no fumbling "call for backup" if they do not know what ANY kind of disability/special situation is about. With due respect for the need for travel safety screening, some thought could be given to staff selection to weed out the buffoons and gorillas before they ever get on the job. Security screening is already intimidating and insulting enough without enduring poorly trained oafs.

There, now I'll likely go on a no-fly list, but you did ask.

three
After seeing this story in the news, I wondered if her "12-month conditional discharge" sentence would have been different if she was an ostomate:

A woman stripped naked at an airport in Bermuda after being stopped by the customs officers for a routine luggage check, a media report said Wednesday.

Loukai Phillips, 36, who had arrived on the island on a flight from London, told the stunned officials: "If you want to see me naked, you can do it right f*****g here." She then removed all her clothes as shocked passengers, including children, looked on in the middle of the airport's busy arrivals hall, the Daily Mail reported.

Phillips, who is Bermudan but now lives in London, was returning to the island Saturday to sort out personal financial matters.

In court Tuesday, she explained that she had reacted angrily after repeatedly being searched whenever she flew home to the mid-Atlantic resort. Phillips pleaded guilty to indecent exposure in a public place but added: "I would never do it again, I'm just tired of being searched."

She was handed a 12-month conditional discharge by magistrate Archibald Warner.
Past Member
TSA is a typical bureaucratic cushy job. In that they do the same chore every day and it has to get monotonous as hell. No one could perform that job with the degree of certainty that has to go along with it.

I just heard a report..........................since this program was adopted in the USA, not one bomb threat has been uncovered for all their efforts. They have more keychain knives and cigarette lighters than the world has ever seen..........BUT not one bomb!

Don't know if that means the program is working or a dismal failure.
Pinky

Hi folks - I didn't read through all the posts, but had another problem-free trip, this time from San Diego to Portland, OR. I had all my supplies and meds in their original bottles in my carry-on and carried the UOAA blue card I printed off the website. I showed it to each TSA along the security process and had no scanner or pat down. I was even encouraged to show the blue card at the gate for a pre-board pass on Southwest. It was a relief not to have any problems and I didn't feel any embarrassment discreetly showing the card to the TSAs.

Counting My Blessings

I have found the previous ports interesting since I would like to revisit Hawaii. I have had some questions, many of which you all answered. Except for what do changes in air pressure do to the bags? I have found that I can do anything I used to do. I probably shouldn't be concerned about this either.

I have referred to Cymed in just about every post I've made tonight. I do NOT own stock in the company, though I probably should. I would recommend the video clip library at http://cymedostomy.com/home.html to anyone who wants to know more about what an ostomy is, and the pouching systems that ostomates wear.

New ostomates are probably not trying to travel, but if they do need to, the early stages are critical for emotional crises such as might arise in an airport security situation if they should run into ignorance or suspicion.

Scissors: I have a pair of blunt scissors. I no longer need to use them because things have settled down to a set size and I order the bags pre-cut from the factory. Once in a while one spot swells and I need to trim the hole a little larger in that spot. I have been reluctant to fly since the colostomy because of this problem. I don't know the answer. My blunt scissors with short blades wouldn't be any more of a weapon for me than a pen or pencil.

What if the flight attendant kept a first aid kit with blunt scissors. An ostomate could mark the bag where it needed to be cut and the flight attendant could make the necessary cuts. I'm sure most of us would not want to have to change our bag in flight.

But I never know when my pouch is going to blow off, due to issues from chemotherapy. I don't know how I'd clean up on the plane. To me, that would be the bigger issue over the security concerns.

I did not see anyone mentioning ports. Will my chemotherapy port light up the security system?