Help! Excessive gas and bubble feeling in stomach causing havoc

Replies
Views
budd002
Hello everyone,

I have a situation going on and it's causing me big problems. I am experiencing what I call a "bubble" feeling in my stomach that I know is just gas, however, the only way I have been able to rid myself of said bubble is by throwing up. This is a nightly occurrence and it's wreaking havoc on my system.

The other night, I did manage to burp it out on a pre-throw up gag, and the velocity of this burp I can't even begin to describe it. Let's just say it actually scared me! I wasn't sure if I perhaps tore my esophagus or damaged some inside part. But the bubble was gone, and I didn't throw up.

However, I am having massive gas build-up in my bag as well, like HUGE. At home, it's no problem, I just let the air out. However, at work, I can't keep running to the bathroom every 10 minutes to release. I have tried Beano, and it seems it causes more gas on me. (Everything is backward on me, even the Beano) I chew a couple Gas-X tablets, but pffftttt they do nothing really. This is really getting on my nerves, and I actually get mad at myself over it.

I'm not eating anything "odd" that would produce gas like this. No raw veggies or pop, so I just don't get it. I eat pretty bland stuff as I don't want ANYTHING to set me off into an obstruction. I have had too many of those, and I'm afraid to eat now.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and has experienced this sort of thing? With the bubble feeling and the gas deal? If I could only put it in the tank of my car....lol

Budd
TravelB

Budd, I have a similar problem and the "gas bubble" is usually accompanied by an ache around the stoma and blimp-like bag inflation. I have found that a straight simethicone capsule helps a lot.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Hi! Wow, you poor girl. Hey, I know exactly what you are talking about....I used to have more problems with that in the past than I do these days, but like you said, it would happen without eating anything different. However, personally, it seemed to happen more to me when I was swallowing more air. Sounds funny, but it's true. We can do many things during the day to swallow a lot of air without realizing it....everything from drinking through straws to crying hard. But however that gas is getting into your tummy, I will share a home remedy I learned from my grandmother. A little baking soda, a spoonful, mix it in a cup of water and drink it down. You will belch, honey. You can experiment with how much it takes for you. I know those strong belches you were referring to....lmao....makes yah think the walls could expand and blow the roof off the house....definitely makes anyone within earshot think ...WTF ?!!! LOL!!

I have had my ostomy since the age of 10, and when I had big problems with that, Gram would mix that special little drink for me. It's a well-known remedy, actually, of age-old. And then keep your body moving for a bit. I sure hope this helps you too, dear.....let me know! It seems this little remedy helps prevent gas from getting so out of control and it passes more pleasantly and settles everything down......calmer gas and easier passing....without having to hurl, or get pains or any other problem. Cheers!

Oh..P.S. That is not something you want to drink too often, just when things are brewing bad. I would not think it a good thing to drink daily because it can slow down your ability to absorb vitamins and other nourishment the body needs.
~Your Doe

weewee

Close to what the pretty lady said, my great grandma gave me hot water to drink. A couple of cups as hot as you can take it. Down it would go. Two things either calm it down or make it come out depending on how bad it was. I still use it today when I get that feeling.

budd002

Good ideas, thanks. I forgot to add, I also get the egg taste burps but haven't eaten eggs...??? Suggestions? Causes?

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Katman

Yes, I have definitely had this! Thankfully it has been a less frequent occasion as my stoma gets older. 5 months now and beginning to behave!

The "egg burps" were just nasty. Not only for me, but for anyone within 20 yards. And they seemed to occur most frequently in the evening. I never really found an answer, only that "Gas-X" and similar meds did not help at all.

I'm not sure what has changed as of late except maybe time... and I don't find myself eating as much sugar... grasping at straws. (but not using them!)

Katman

PJT

Grandma's remedies are always the best, aren't they? Somebody should write a book!

Golda
Hi Budd,

Throwing up often is certainly not a healthy solution for you. I am wondering whether you have seen a doctor - do you have a gastro? I have had problems in the past with excess gas when my intestines were devoid of good bacterial flora, usually after a course of antibiotics. A good solution is to eat yogurt or try these natural pills called "Acidophilus." You can get at most pharmacies.

Just a thought... but take care of yourself and don't just let it go on.
nessy

I was having similar problems, although not as severe as yours. I made an appointment with a Naturopathic Dr, who booked my wife and I for an hour (his lunch hour). He basically explained what to eat and what not to eat. Bingo! He fixed me right up.

Naturopathic medicine treats the whole body and treats the problem, not the symptoms. For example, my sons, when they were younger, had asthma. The Dr gave them inhalers (treating the symptom). The Naturopathic Dr treated them with 5 things and cured their asthma. One thing they took was pneumodyne (rebuilds lung tissue). Another was buffered Vit C (fights infection). They are grown men now and no recurrence.

Sorry if I rambled, I could go on all day with stories about Naturopaths.

If I could suggest, do a Google search regarding the alkaline diet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bob

lynsie

Been home since Aug. Homecare no longer needed, found that my 2pc pouch would balloon up2, PU supplies - trying pouch w filter, same brand (Hollister) so far enjoy it, will be first nite w it, I tend to eat poached eggs every day, and the odd French fry, have large hernia from surgeries, literally no stomach muscles...trying new hernia belt as well, kinda uncomfy sitting down, might just put on for outings and bedtime!

soapie

Oh, the gas and vomit! I have the same experience only in the morning. When I stand up, I puke or burp hugely. When I brush my teeth, OMG! And coffee in the a.m. is no longer for me. My doc says I have developed G.E.R.D. since surgery 8 months ago, another perk I guess. I too have found no remedy, but since I never had one of my own, I'm going to try the advice of other grandmas posted here...

Mystified

Gas!! OMG, what a subject. Is this world going to extremes or what? Gas for cars and gas in the tummy to the point that only the doctors, hospitals, and of course...the pharmacists get rich, not to leave off anyone that gets to stick their hand in my so-called pot that just seems to be depleting all of the time.

Now on the subject of gas, on one hand...people are going to pay for gas for their cars because they need gas and there is no way to get around it. I get upset when I see the sign at the gas station across from my house going up and down like an elevator from $3.05 one day and I don't need gas, and the day after when I do need gas because of the running around I've done in the car, the pump is at $3.15.

Another thing about gas is the other aggravation in my life. I empty the bag...it's all clean and I've even used 2 packets of Adapt deodorizer. Ok, I'm good now for a while, right? WRONG!!! Just as soon as I get comfy in the recliner where the footrest is hard to push down so I can run to the bathroom if I need to, I get gurgles...gurgles and more gurgles. Then my bag starts to blow up to a point of almost bursting so that I have to run back to the bathroom and let the air and gas smell out and OMG...lol, I need more deodorizer!!

I GIVE UP!

Barbie

budd002

So here is the latest update. For the past 2 nights, I have not had to get up and do the dash to the bathroom to toss my cookies. I have been taking 2 Gravol and a Zantac before going to bed. I have also cut out juice and no food intake after 7-7:30pm. I have felt a bit queasy but did my deep breathing through it and the feeling passed.

I'm going to the GI on Tuesday to get the results of the endoscopy I had done. I know he is going to tell me the Crohn's is flaring up, but I'm also going to request a trip to my surgeon to have my hernia checked. Things just are not sitting right down there. My stoma of 14 years had suddenly decided to start tucking in at the bottom, causing my output to be leaked under the flange, leading to me having to change the thing every other day. I contacted my connection at Hollister, and she set me up with a bunch of samples of my brand as well as some rings to try out, hoping they would keep the stoma above the flange to avoid the leakage.

I'll keep you posted on what the doctor has to say about the throwing up as I am starting to get concerned about the severe weight loss (91 lbs now) as well as what the acid is doing to my innards as well.

Immarsh

Hi all, I have a few suggestions based on my 50 years of experience with an ostomy.

About 30 years ago, I used to get severe stomach pains, so I thought there was really something wrong, and went for an upper and lower GI series. Nothing serious showed up, but the doctor noticed that I spoke quickly, and "swallowed" a lot of air when talking. A friend of mine (a speech therapist) pointed that out to me also, so I started to become more aware of the amount of air I was gulping and swallowing. The issue seemed to be resolved....

Until about 10 years ago. I'd wake up every few hours, with my pouch filled with air, but no output.. just another stomach ache. At the same time, I decided to have a sleep study done because my snoring was waking up everyone in the house. Turns out I had/have severe sleep apnea... and have been using a CPAP since then... successfully...

Until.... about 2 years ago, those gas symptoms returned with a vengeance, and I couldn't go for more than an hour without having to release air from the pouch. I'm a teacher, so it was often difficult to get out of the classroom.

When I went to visit my son and his wife (kids) in Australia, I ate the vegan diet they ate. My daughter-in-law has MS, and my son has Ulcerative Colitis, so she changed the family diet to get rid of foods "toxic" to the body, especially to those with autoimmune disease. While I'm not vegan, I tend to eat mostly vegetarian (no real odor without meat), and I've given up milk and most dairy products. I use almond milk.... That has significantly reduced the amount of gas I have.... and when I do cheat (with ice cream), the gurgles, bubbles, and gas return. Ange's website is Cookingformyspirit.com.au and focuses on healthy eating. My son Jay is off all medication for his UC for the first time in 20 years, and Ange's MS is in remission. It's worth reading about.

Good luck...

WOUNDED DOE

http://www.go-symmetry.com/health/bakup/crohns.htm

Above is another page....one of quite a few actually....that mentions great info on the same helpful aids for especially those of us with Crohn's or Colitis........I take my extra supplements in the purest forms I can find them and there is such a mixed cauldron of things that, together, help alleviate so many of the problems and discomforts we have........but ironically and to my surprise, at least for 'me' anyway....Fenugreek has really calmed many of the uncomfortable symptomatic flares associated with much of what we've been conversing about. Fenugreek is used for SO many purposes, it's quite broad spectrum and seems to be a 'must have' in everyone's Medicinal Cabinet....... but experimenting with it for so long now has convinced me that it does indeed help me with the calming and increase of better quality digestion and reducing inflammation which can make us feel so very ill, including problems with that horrid nausea we tend to have for various reasons on occasion .......I feel healthier all 'round since each trial with Fenugreek..........thus, now have decided to remain on it, and also include it in my own organic garden here in my home soon.

Just noteworthy I thought and worth a try if it interests you :)

Love and Blessings everyone.....this old Doe cares about each of you very much :)

DOE

jrom

I had a lot of difficulty with gas/bloating at one point. I came across the "low FODMAP" diet somewhere while doing some research online. It's a very difficult diet to adhere to (for a while until you no longer miss sweets/carbs). I'd suggest sticking to it for a few weeks. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and take a smoothie to work with me. Throughout the day, I snack on fruits and vegetables (not all are low FODMAP) that I bring to work with me in the morning. I'll also occasionally bring a small Tupperware of rice/chicken for lunch, but most days the fruits and vegetables are sufficient for getting me through till dinner. For dinner, I eat fish or chicken with vegetables and sometimes rice, and for dessert, I eat fruits.

This diet has done wonders for controlling those embarrassing ostomy noises and gas/bloating. I've never had issues with weight control, but the diet by its very nature cuts out foods that would cause weight gain, so there's that also.