Skin Irritation/Allergy to Tape - Seeking Solutions

Replies
Views
NJ Bain
It's been a few years since my last post and for that I apologize.

I am an ileostomate of 16 years now, diagnosed with Crohn's at age 14, surgery when I was 23. I've been extremely lucky with little to no problems arising with bag issues. I use a 1-piece ActiveLife drainable pouch from ConvaTec and have for years.

About 7 years ago, my wife and I moved from Alaska to New Jersey (don't ask me why...lol) and after a couple of months of living here, I started to have a really bad skin irritation (allergy perhaps) under the tape that surrounds the wafer to the point where the itching is unbearable and the skin weeps with serous fluid. The tape turns yellow and of course doesn't stick and the wafer is no longer anchored down with tape.

I've managed without the tape by cutting it off around the wafer and making sure I have a good seal. I then anchor it down with a back brace belt (without shoulder straps) and this system has worked well. The skin irritation went away. I would occasionally try the appliance with the tape on only to have the skin irritation come back. I've tried many different brands of appliances and the hypoallergenic clear ring tape to anchor the bag down with the same results.

Recently, I must have received a bad batch of bags because I've had more brownouts (leakage) in the last couple of months than the entire 16 years of being an ostomate. The wafer seal giving out on one side of the appliance after only 2 days. Normally they last 3-4 days and that's with extensive workouts, sweating, daily showers with the appliance on, etc..etc... I have no folds or dips in my skin, no weight gain or loss, like I said earlier, I've been an incredibly lucky ostomate.

Now my question is, has anyone else had/developed this irritation/allergy to the tape that surrounds the wafer? If so, have you found a solution?

I've researched most of the other forums and found a few tips and tricks that I will try such as the calamine lotion and I've also noticed the different types of support belts advertised at the bottom of the forum pages and I'm going to give them a shot as well. But I would love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences. Hope to hear from you soon!!

Respectfully,

Bain
lowflyingbs

I had a similar problem a few years back. I use Convatec Active Life 2-piece pouch system. I started using the Durahesive skin barrier for a while, it doesn't have the tape surrounding the wafer, just the same wafer type material all the way around. It seems like I was having some type of reaction to the tape at that time. This let my skin clear up. Since then I alternate between the Durahesive wafers and the Stomahesive wafers every time I change my pouch. Try using the ones with white tape instead of skin color if that is available in what you use also.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,371 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Brian, yeah I tried the tape surround type barrier or wafer and had skin issues. So now I only use the Convatec Stomahesive pectin-based wafer. Ron in Mich.

NJ Bain

Thanks guys for your input. The bags I use now have the white tape. But they are just the stomahesive. Perhaps I'll try the durahesive without the tape to see if it works out better. I want to try the combo no tape wafer and a decent support belt.

I just hate the fact that a system I was using so well for 9 years just fails because I develop a skin irritation/allergy. My wife is an R.N. and has told me that a person can develop an allergy at any time in their life. *sighs*

Oh well......back to experimentation. Thanks again!!

Respectfully,

Bain

lowflyingbs

I forgot to mention also to use some stomahesive protective powder or karaya powder on the bad areas until they heal up. You can put it on and then put the appliance on over it. Helps in the healing. Hope you get it cleared up.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Katman

Greetings...
I won't say my solution is going to work for anyone else... it seems so individual. I found that even the stomahesive caused me a rash. And itching through the appliance just doesn't work. Actually pulled the whole mess off one day by mistake just trying to reach the itch! Oops!

I've tried calamine, aloe and three different stomahesive companies... Finally I found that a Benadryl tablet would kill the symptoms for about 2-3 days. So, meds again which I don't like... but it sure is much comfier!

Good luck.

Katman

NJ Bain

Thanks Katman.....decent advice........I don't have a rash as of yet because I always cut off the tape........but I'm trying to use a bag with the tape now......so far I haven't had a reaction, but I'm not holding my breath.....but if it comes about, I'll try the benny......thanks again!

Respectfully,

Bain

janice

I used to use tape but all of a sudden I got an awful itchy rash underneath the tape, not the flange. I stopped using the tape and used an antifungal spray (one that you would use for athlete's foot) and it cleared it right up. I still have one spot, even without tape, that acts up and I keep using the spray.