Re-opening a healed scar for surgery - Normal practice and healing effectiveness?

Replies
Views
yedmans
Hi all!

I am due for my second major operation this week, this time to remove my entire colon. I have a new surgeon this time, and he has told me he will make the abdominal incision exactly along the line of the existing scar, which has been healing since the first surgery in March 2010. I assume this is to minimize the visible scarring, but it seems a bit weird to re-open this scar as it has just finished healing. Does anybody know whether this is normal practice, and will the scar re-heal as effectively as the first time? Thanks.
Past Member
Hi yedmans,

Yes, it's normal to cut along the same scar. It will heal just as well as before. Good luck with your surgery.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,381 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

cee
Hi Yedsman,

I have had 4 major incisions and surgeries and they always use the same scar line. I would joke they should have just put in a zipper. While it is sweet to think surgeons care about scarring, the reason is that scar tissue is 1,000 times stronger than uncut tissue. I was told it knits together much stronger.

Best of luck.

Lynn
WOUNDED DOE

Hi yedmans, yup I'm with everyone above. I have had five surgeries and each time they used the same scar,...and I'm glad they did or it might look like a bear clawed me lol. It's ok dear, no worries, it will heal great. My surgeon told me sometimes they will "shave off" a bit of the old scar tissue before they make that same incision. My scar actually ended up looking better since the last surgery than it did after my second one due to that procedure. It will be ok.

Mystified

I'm gonna lol and lol louder...I think I should get a zipper put in also.    I believe that I've had about 6 or more incisions.    One was closed with super glue...and few closed with stitches and some closed with staples.    Actually, I would prefer the super glue.    It seemed as I had that particular surgery....the super glue made my incision heal a lot faster.    

Now, after 5 approximate months, I am going to have yet another surgery.      Actually, it will be 2 as the doc has to repair the hernia, which is growing bigger all of the time.    I have no idea what the doctor intends to use as a closure, but most likely staples.    It seems like I just get the flange cut to the proper size, I have to increase it as my stoma keeps saying "OUCH..that's smothering me!

The next step after that, which will be the same day, he intends to do a complete reversal of my ileostomy as he states that there is no reason why I have to wear bags and flanges and go through all of the problems others seem to have. I guess that's why the first surgeon left the option open and did not remove as much on the inside as we had first    thought.

Barbie

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
yedmans

Thanks everybody, you've put my mind at rest on that one!! Off I go..........................