Tips for Discreet Draining in Public

In this discussion
Replies
Views
yaya

I have serious misgivings about draining my bag in a public restroom or at a home I am visiting. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to prevent backsplash and, of course, the odor eliminator? I can't carry a can of Febreze wherever I go. I do use eucalyptus oil to try to cover the smell, but the backsplash is what really gets to me... literally. Thanks... yaya

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

Well, Yaya, first consider the alternative. That's not an option. Secondly, make sure you leave the toilet in the same condition (or better) which you found. To this end, you will need to reduce splashing as much as possible. Extra toilet paper or tissues on the landing site help. Also, get as close to the target area as possible to minimize any collateral damage from the splashing. Be sure to wipe away any drops on the seat or rim or elsewhere. The only difference between you and the next person using the toilet is not the product, only the delivery. Worry about the important stuff.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
PJT

I agree with Primeboy about placing a few sheets of toilet paper in the bowl before you empty your bag. Just make sure your aim is good. An old trick I used to use to cover the odor was to light a match or two after I was done emptying and then quickly blow them out and flush them down the toilet.

tippitop
Hi Yaya,
Great tips regarding toilet paper to prevent splashback. It works a treat. But also, to prevent odor, I recommend Trio Diamonds charcoal sachets (ref TR105). They diminish odor significantly. Give them a try. They make me feel so much more confident as they give off zero odor. If you need any further information, please ask. My love, Tricia, xxx
Immarsh
Hi,

That's an issue I've dealt with for more than 40 years. For "backsplash", my best suggestion is to crumble some toilet tissue and throw it in the bowl first. If standing, aim for the tissue. I've managed to sit and hit the tissue also. But I always check the bowl and rim for splatter. A very "old" trick is to light matches before you leave the bathroom. The smell of sulfur will clear out the strong odor, and although it's not like Fabreeze, it's better than the alternative. But seriously, I don't give using public restrooms a second thought. That's what they're there for. I'm a bit more aware when I'm in a friend's house and will usually look for an air freshener first. But I always try to have the matches handy. That was my mother's remedy.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lottagelady

Hi - I have a bit of an issue with that too .... don't mind the public loo so much, but using it in someone else's house fair fills me with horror! Despite odor neutralizers I feel awful about it and avoid if at all possible! I do carry a Limone spray in my handbag which is quite pleasant for squirting around before you start, but even so!

Yes, lining the loo does work for splashback, however sometimes you have to flush a couple of times to get rid!
Rach xx

Past Member

This. Is. Awesome.
yaya

Thanks all. I do the toilet paper trick. I do clean the toilet and floors and walls and jeans and hands as well as possible. Just wish there was a magic wand to wipe all the mess. I had forgotten about the match trick and I do carry peppermint and eucalyptus oil... guess I just have to face it and let go and grow... thanks again...

yaya

Thanks Tricia. I am going to find the charcoal sachets right away. Just want to get on with my life as a new ostogirl and backsplash and odor is an "ick" moment in my life. Take care doll. Yaya

yaya

Thanks, m'dear. Will check out Rickey Tick!

yaya

Hi... I'm not having any luck ordering the Trio Diamonds... Any idea where there is a product source here in the states? Thank you.

yaya

Can't seem to find it here in the states...any idea where to go from here? Thanks much.

Past Member

Chess,

I'm new here, just reading through the conversation I see you mention what looks like a product "TRIO DIAMONDS", never heard of it. Is it crystals to put in the pouch? --Thanks. Mary

Dixiechick
Hi guys,

I swear by Devrom tablets. Chew two after a meal and there is no odor!
I live in the States and get them at EdgePark Medical Supplies.
Bunkie

Hi.. I am two weeks out of surgery with my ileo.. had some nightmares already with leaks and spills and a partial blockage.. also looking for Trio Diamonds.. seems like you cannot get this in the US.. also looking for these ostees. They are used to dispose and empty into so you can flush them.. would be good when you are out.. can't get them either in the US.. Why can't we get the good products? Went to the Trio Diamonds website and they are not allowed to deliver to the US.. I don't get it.. Hope someone knows a way of getting these products.. Judy

fable3

Has anyone tried the new Colo-Magic bag liners? Supposed to be flushable bag liners for most two-piece products. The company delivers to the US, too. I imagine it would help in disposal situations??

BCBrann

For the backsplash, I agree with everyone else. Toilet paper in the toilet first.
For the odor, I use 3% hydrogen peroxide in the bag. I have a small squirt bottle that I carry with me when I'm away from home. A good squirt in the bag after every emptying works excellent.

rsmith4306

Have any of y'all used M9....I put a few drops in the bag after emptying it and have no odor problems at all. It is made by Hollister and works well! Give it a try and let me know how it works out.
Thanks

Past Member

I use M9 Drop Deodorizer as well and swear by it. I place drops in the pouch before going to work and I am odor-free all day even if I empty a couple of times!!!

g.man

I'm guessing from the amount of 'splashback' comments that a lot of you empty your pouch whilst standing. I've never done this as the consequences terrify me. I always sit on the toilet and my pouch naturally hangs down into the bowl, and with the height of the drop reduced there's very little 'splash'.

gutenberg
toodie

I too worry how I will handle 'public venue emptying'! LOL! Is anyone peeved with PVE!?

From reading tips on this site, I left the house this week with my bag full of tricks:
small garbage bag(s)
M9 drops (mini size free from ET Nurse)
wet wipes in ziploc (for my hands or bag)
lysol wipes in ziploc (for the toilet or bag)
extra ostomy bag
extra flange/barrier ring
j cloth (cotton type from med supply) I cut them up into really small pieces
air freshener (I was thinking I would add perfume samples that I receive from the drug store.)

TIP:*I was recently in a restaurant and didn't think to have packed a garbage bag. It was my first outing/date with hubbie. So the sweetie asked the kitchen staff for a spare to-go bag. So smart. I was sweating bullets...not knowing what to do. I stashed that garbage (tied tightly) in the garbage can and tried to cover it up so there were no surprises for the next gal.

jjMonaVie
Hi,
I used the M9 and now refill the bottles with mouthwash and a little baby oil.
The baby oil helps everything slide out and mixed with the mouthwash, it smells better and kills bacteria.
It is cheaper than the M9.

I still would like to use a spray or find something better. We are not allowed to use perfumes or sprays where I work due to allergies. I have no problem respecting that for others; however, I would like to reduce the smell.

Any ideas?
Tray

I was using eucalyptus for a while but I felt it didn't mask the smell completely and was recommended recently to keep 3 or so white tic-tacs in my bag. When I go to empty it, I add one more quickly and then empty it, slip 3 more in afterward, and there is no residual smell whatsoever. I mean, they work as good as the Hollister M9 drops but are affordable. I can't recommend this enough. After I decided the eucalyptus didn't work well enough, I felt like I had no other options. I even became a vegetarian for a few months so the smell would not be so overbearing because I just couldn't deal with the public bathroom.

In regards to the splashing, I have it strategically planned. I'm a "two flusher" in public, not because of the smell but because of the noise. I flush and as it's flushing, I empty my bag. And then I clean it with toilet paper, put my tic-tacs in and flush again.

Captain Tact

For public venues, I just get my TP ready (to wipe down the inside of the pouch) then empty it into a flushing toilet. Usually, this is enough to get "it" gone without being too smelly/sticking on the bowl. It takes a second flush, but that's not too big a concern.

gutenberg
Chess: would I be right in assuming the telephone number is in the UK? Ed
california nurse

Thanks everybody for the great tips, but... I have no idea what product worked on what type of drainage - colostomy drainage has a high bacterial load and smells "fecally". Ileo effluent has lots of enzymes and smells more "vomity". What works on what - enquiring minds need to know!

baritone

Hi - try Flushdoggy.com - inexpensive, water-soluble, biodegradable, eco-friendly, correct size portable solution.

clippergirl

Having had an ostomy for 51 years now, I have learned that when you gotta go, you gotta go. I have learned how to be extra careful at someone else's home so as not to leave a mess in their potty, and as far as public venues--who cares! Have you seen the condition of some of the public restrooms? No one is going to notice--but as far as odor is concerned--I use a product made by Hollister called M9--a few drops in your bag and odor is gone, and there is also little or no odor from gas either. Give it a try--I think you will like it.

clippergirl

I failed to mention that when I empty, I just sit on the toilet like anyone else and lean forward a little and empty. If that doesn't work for you, then sit facing the back of the toilet and lean forward and empty. You will be able to get closer to the water that way. The key is to sit on the toilet so you can be closer to the water. It will get easier as time goes by.