Can we have colorful bags for ileostomies?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Cjay89

I have had my ileostomy for just over 3 years now and the only thing that I don't like about it is that the color of the bags is either creamy beige or clear.
They get really dirty-looking and horrible. I know this might sound daft, but is it possible to get colored bags like pinks and purples or even blues?
I know it's not like anyone sees it but you, but I would love to put on a bag that's pink one day and then a lovely sky blue the next time it's changed. It's not like anyone can see the bag under your clothes, so does that mean it isn't worth being made in any other color than dull beige? I think it would give people a little boost, maybe, it would for me, I know that.
Is there anyone else that feels like this too?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

three

Cjay89 ~ I've thought the same thought, such a "medical, band-aidy" color! I want black with psychedelic neon images!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
Hi Cjay, I just made my own covers for the bags, no boring beige in sight!

I started with a pattern from the below website, but then just made a few alterations to come up with an easier "on and off" style for myself. You can use any kind of material, scraps, old clothes. Believe me, I am not the craftiest person around but if I can make them, anyone can!

There are a couple of companies in the classifieds on here too, if you don't want to make them yourself.

http://www.stomaatje.com/clothing.html
Primeboy

I spoke to the folks at Hollister about this situation some time back. They told me that the front side of the bag (which faces out) should be clear because I or my ET nurse need to see what's going on inside. Well, I have a pretty good idea what's going on inside and I would rather not have to see the contents any more than absolutely necessary. I don't care about the bag's color as much as its opaqueness. There are lots of covers for the bag which you can buy (or even make for yourself) but why is this necessary? Good post!

Past Member

I thought the only time people used clear bags was when in the hospital straight after surgery. I couldn't even imagine needing to use one in any other situation (and why would you!).

Perhaps the bag covers aren't necessary, but they are not just for appearance. They can put a cloth barrier between your skin and your bag, and in my case, the bag cover helped clear up a skin rash I had underneath where the bag rubbed against my skin.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I don't think I'd use the word "creamy".

Pinky

That's a good one, Sinful.

Well, we know one person (Bikerboy) who wears clear pouches on purpose.

Honestly, it's amazing how much money there is to be reaped from the misfortunes of others. When I see what Hollister actually bills for its supplies (I know they don't get that much, unless the poor unfortunate is even more unfortunate not to have insurance) - for those prices they should be giving us custom pouches.

I would love to have hot pink and alien neon green...

Past Member

I was using clear bags for a little while after getting out of the hospital. Once I got a sense of what was happening, I didn't need to see it anymore.

Past Member

I have some clear ones that I keep just in case the others run out before I get to buy more. The flanges I get are Hollister 14202 and cost $53.00 here for a box of 5. The pouches are 18218 and cost $82.00 for a box of 10. I had emailed Hollister to see if they had thought of using the same material that Glad uses in their Force Flex garbage bags. That way, the pouches could be made smaller and would stretch as they filled. It wouldn't show much, I don't think, if it was made smaller. Easier to hide, etc. under clothes. I haven't heard back at all. Maybe it wasn't a good idea..lol

Immarsh

Honestly ....People, you don't know how lucky you are to have BEIGE!!!! Back in 1965, when I had my surgery, I started with see-through pouches. It was nauseating, and the thought back then was you had to "see" what was happening. But then, two-piece appliances were being made...... It was United Surgical Supplies back then, and our ostomy group helped test new products. One "new" product was black rubber. Boy did that cause a rash....and the white rubber wasn't much better. And they weren't disposable. They were a little thinner than enema bags, if anyone remembers those old-fashioned red things with a hose. We used them over and over, for more than three months, washing and drying them on a line. Ugh.
And the only thing worse than that was the rubber faceplate and metal hinge flange that went around the permanent rubber faceplate to anchor it to the pouch. Nothing was disposable, and we used a "cement" like glue brushed onto the faceplate and onto the skin, and then had to wait until both dried or it would cause a burn. We then had to use a "solvent" to get the old glue off the faceplate and off the skin. Ouch! ; Back when we tested supplies, we all decided that lighter colors for the pouches were best because we could wear white shorts or a light-colored bathing suit....

We've come a long way, mates. I use Convatec 2-piece system with opaque beige pouches, and compared to what I started with, I don't even know it's on. As for irritating the skin under the pouch....that sometimes happens, but I use talc powder for that. After 40+ years....I have no complaints at all.

bikerboy

I only wear clear when I fly to piss off the screeners. Anyway, I just got a new hernia belt from Ostomy Solutions. The cover comes in white or black, and it is awesome to wear. I chose the black. Hey, it's a different color. Thanks, Pinky. I'll be back in San Diego end of March. I want to have coffee with you.

Past Member

Nice.

I wore clear after my surgery for a few months. I wasn't grossed out by it, just found it unnecessary to see what was going on. Now that I irrigate, the irrigation sleeve is 100% transparent and is still not a gross out for me.
SheliaBaby

I think it is purely a personal choice. I read on here and other places about how people worry about the way the pouch sticks out or some other cosmetic issue....but yet they want to decorate it at times. To me, that is....confusing. It is "what it is".....you can put a pretty wrapper on it and if it makes you feel better then more power to ya. Just like toilet paper....the white works just as well as any other color would. If a cover is something that makes you feel more secure with yourself then by all means get what works for you......that is what is most important, I would think. Shelia

breadbasket

I've been emailing Hollister for years asking for colored wafers and pouches.
I've also suggested to ostomy representative Thom Nichols about creating colored appliances.
I think it would be great!!!

Lori

kattra

Definitely!!!! Just like putting on pretty undergarments, they lift your spirits.

Cjay89

Hi everyone

Thank you for all your replies.
I know the products that are available today are a whole lot better than they were years ago and I understand that. I don't mean to sound unappreciative.
I would love it if everyone could vote on the poll as I am interested to know how many other people feel the same as myself.
Thank you

mdw
Hey, I know this might be a late response but bag color may not be much of an issue anymore. It seems there are more and more pouch holders covers to conceal, hide, whatever. I know when I first had my colostomy in 2003, a friend had come over and I had the clear bag and the staples still in. He just freaked out and said I should have warned him. I was still in shock and the reality hadn't hit. I kind of thought it wasn't that bad, but that was my first encounter. I immediately got some beige cloth or so covered bags and will not use clear anymore haha. Anyhow, there are a lot of good products out there. I personally use PouchWear and it works really amazingly. As long as I can hide it now, I could care less what color it is. I never see it anymore anyhow. Oh well, life has too many problems and excitements as it is, shouldn't have to worry about my ostomy bag if I can help it.
cocobrown
Hello folks

I am an independent conceptual designer for fashion and since 2012, the proud owner of a pouch which is permanent. I will be indeed on the case to get this 'major issue changed and am happy to see that people are talking about it. For most people of ethnic origin, the color of their pouch is paramount and could be very useful if graded to people's actual skin pigmentation, [of course within reason as it would be impossible to match up all shades] but this would take a small amount of costings for organization and if this can be rectified, it would be great for people with long-term stoma use to have a more prospective view of their stoma appliances. Along with the people who are just wanting a change,
yes, we are thankful for the improvement made on stoma bags over the years and should be thankful for having this appliance for saving life. However, standing naked and being darker-skinned would indeed help with clothing and personal
esteem, and why not have a little esteem brought back from the esteem taken away from having a stoma bag in the first place.
I think it is something you and your personal partner have to come to terms with, and this element could help a little for people's comfortability in appearance.

I am doing my preparation work now and happy if people with an interest to support the cause, so feel free to drop me a line as I will be having a meeting at ST MARKS Hospital on the 24th to discuss this matter.

Regards, Miss Cocobrown
Casey & George

I have just ordered my first box of beige. I am torn between wanting to hide my colostomy and being open about it. Everyone I know knows about "George", he is heard but not seen. I think he'd gross them out. Coloplast Assure has material on both sides (beige of course). I haven't figured out the need for a pouch cover yet.

Past Member

I am open about mine, but I'm no show and all tell.
gee07

Casey...
I use Coloplast beige Assure too. I like the idea that my output is not in full view. Even if it was a thing I didn't care about, I still like it for the reason that my husband would not be able to see the contents. When you come to think of it, we wouldn't show something we had just passed into the toilet, would we?
Well, that's the way I look at it.

gee07

Cocobrown,
Sorry, but I think it's a silly idea and I'm sure it would cost more to have rainbow bag colours, which in the end the companies would pass on to people with stomas.
If it's from the self-esteem point of view, I don't really see where a darker or lighter bag colour is going to make a person feel better. Mine could be pink with black dots on for all I care. For me, if it doesn't leak, that's all I am concerned with.

cocobrown

In response to the individual who made a narrow-minded response!!
For those people with white skin, it may not be an issue to you... as it easily blends in with your skin tone. As a very dark-skinned person, it is very apparent to me, as I would like it to blend in with my skin tone, as it would 'suit me'. As for having different colored tones, had you read my email correctly, I was talking about skin tones and variations for people who wanted them. If it is something to help people build up an element of happiness, who are you to make such a poor and uninformed response.
Leakages and other issues of usage are another matter. If it is something that can help my self-appearance and self-esteem and that of others, should not people be allowed to exercise their right to happiness.
Standing up butt naked with a pink pouch and being very dark-skinned is not really appealing to me, and crying about having a stoma for life is not going to take my stoma away. However, as a person who likes to wear variations of clothes, it will open up a lot more areas of opportunity in the clothing I wear and other personal things to ME. Should you feel this is 'silly', that is a matter of your personal opinion. But if you care to look at the poll, some 85+% are in agreement to have different color variations. I suppose you represent the other side of the coin. So just as you are entitled to your view.... I am entitled to mine and will concentrate on the people who have consideration and support of my cause and not for people like yourself who have selfish small-minded views.

bikerboy

A few classmates here have made sweaters for their "bags" in any color you wish.

Past Member
Hey Cocobrown,

I started reading this thread from the top and couldn't understand why no one else had spotted that 'skin color' bags are ethnocentric...then I came across you trying patiently to explain. Well done, you!

However boring we find the beige, at least a) they are an improvement on clear and b) if we have beige skin, they don't show so much! But to assume that 'one color suits all' is not very far-sighted. I'm not sure pale-skinned folk would be even as content as they are with a cocobrown-colored pouch...

Before I had my urostomy earlier this year, I had a nephrostomy, and the systems for that are still in the dark ages (no pun intended!) so I thought opaque bags with soft covers and no trailing tubes were an invention straight from heaven. I can see that it's probably not practical for companies to offer a vast range of different coverings for bags...I mean, there is such a huge diversity out there anyhow as regards size, shape, glue, etc...and such a variety of tastes regarding decorative styles. Nonetheless, I really appreciate that when I'm 'naked', my bag blends in, and I think it's about as wrong as wrong can be that they don't at least come in a choice of three shades of brown.

Now, don't get me started on the color range of stoma underwear...supportive covering garments only come in the most boring of styles and colors. However, for those in the UK, Comfizz has recently brought out pants and vests in pink and teal, and they will be available on prescription from November...

Angelinthemaking
cocobrown

Thank you very much for your comment and I am glad you fully understand what I was trying to communicate. Your thread is an important one and a good starting point for questions for people with this issue.
I will indeed take your point on board as the initiator of this thread and hope there will be others that can contribute to the cause I am trying to state. You made a poignant statement about having a coco brown pouch which answered my statement in full.
Thanks and I will update you with any more information I collate.

Thanks again!!!

Regards, Cocobrown

Past Member

I would like to say that as a white guy, I don't think the color of my Coloplast gear matches my skin tone at all.

cocobrown
Hey Sinfulsot

If your bag were or is 'permanent, how would you feel if it better matched to blend in with your skin tone?
Past Member

Uh oh...maybe I am beige

Past Member

I am a permanent color, but matching my skin tone is not important to me.