New here, I didn't know where else to post topic, sorry

Replies
Views
Julie4evert
Hi, I'm Julie from the U.S. 43 years old and I've had an ileostomy since I was 4. I was born with spina bifida and I'm partially paralyzed from the waist down but I'm one of the fortunate ones, I can walk with the aid of short leg braces. My ileostomy is the same one since age 4, I haven't had to have a revision yet and hopefully never will.
I got married at age 21 and lost all my benefits which I had no clue was going to happen until 6 months later. My husband is self-employed. I've been fortunate enough to be able to buy ostomy products on eBay but sometimes I get supplies older than what the seller has stated and the wear time is like 1 day. I have signed up for the Convatec ostomy access program where they send you a 3-month supply..which unfortunately never lasts 3 months. Yesterday I got a call from Convatec asking me to send in my husband's tax returns to see if I still qualify. I'm afraid they will say no. As of 2 months ago, we had to cancel our health insurance because the cost has risen too high to pay..not that ostomy supplies were covered anyway. I feel I have no other options but to divorce my husband and go on assistance but I don't want to. I don't know what to do anymore. Any ideas out there? And thank you for reading this.
Whoa
Julie
Wow, lots of experiences you must have to share with others.

Supplies: Some companies will give you a cash discount, you could call and ask. You could also call the manufacturers like Hollister, Convatec, etc. and see if they have any programs. UOAA: Check your local chapter and ask if they accept donated supplies; it might be a way for you to get some supplies temporarily. You might also encounter an ostomy nurse at your local chapter meeting who could do a stoma check/help on supply issues in your particular area.

Hope this helps. Glad you are on the forum...you have years of wisdom to share with others I am sure!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vulcanBMk2

Julie, I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. Ostomates really don't need this kind of thing happening to their supplies because we depend on them! I'm glad Whoa the Nurse got back to you with some suggestions. I truly hope they work. I have nothing to offer you, but hope for the future. My best wishes. I live in the UK on our National Health Service, and all ostomates get FREE supplies. Is there any form of Ostomy Charity or contact group in your state who can help you? I'm sure there is a silver lining somewhere. I hope it shines on you soon. Oh, I am a Urostomate, so things are not quite so complicated for me. Anyway, all my love. Good luck... Peter.

sweede
Hi Julie, sorry to hear about your harrowing times, lass. You must be at your wits' end.

I think I may be able to help. I run a foundation that, amongst other things, sends donated ostomy supplies to developing countries and disaster areas. If the following information I give you is of no use to you, then I can't see any reason why the foundation can't assist you in some way.

There is an organization in the States (I'm from Scotland, by the way) called Friends of Ostomated WorldWide. I think their URL is fowusa.com. They also send free ostomy supplies to folks, and if you contact them and explain your circumstances, they may just be able to help you out, lass.

If you have no joy there, then send me a message, and I will give you my contact details.
Take care, lass.x
Whoa

Julie:
Must be divine intervention...was looking for a conference and bumped into something on a WOCN web page that could help you:

www.ostogroup.org

They say they will supply you and it appears they are supported by the major manufacturers!

See what you think....good luck and fingers crossed!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vulcanBMk2

Thanks so much for that research, Nurse Whoa. This looks like a great help to our North American friends who may need this service. As I stated before, ostomates have enough problems. It's help that is needed, not hassles. Once more, thanks!

sweede

Hey Julie, how's you? Just popped in to see if you have had any luck sourcing your ostomy pouches.
I don't know if this is of any help to you, but I have a friend that lives in Tennessee and she has a few hundred Convatec one-piece drainable pouches going spare. She has switched brands and no longer needs them.
The flanges are pre-cut to 1 1/4", so they may not be of use to you.

She was going to send them over here, and then I remembered about this post. So, if you think they are of any use to you, then let me know and I will arrange to have them sent over to you.

I will get back to you with the exact pouch details.