The Power of Kindness

Replies
Views
three
THE POWER OF KINDNESS:

In 2003, police in Warwickshire, England, opened a garden shed and found a whimpering, cowering dog. The dog had been locked in the shed and abandoned. It was dirty and malnourished, and had quite clearly been abused. In an act of kindness, the police took the dog, which was a female greyhound, to the Nuneaton Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, which is run by a man named Geoff Grewcock, and known as a haven for animals abandoned, orphaned, or otherwise in need.

Geoff and the other sanctuary staff went to work with two aims: to restore the dog to full health, and to win her trust. It took several weeks, but eventually both goals were achieved. They named her Jasmine, and they started to think about finding her an adoptive home.

Jasmine; however, had other ideas. No one quite remembers how it came about, but Jasmine started welcoming all animal arrivals at the sanctuary. It would not matter if it were a puppy, a fox cub, a rabbit, or any other lost or hurting animal. Jasmine would just peer into the box or cage, and when and where possible, deliver a welcoming lick.

Geoff relates one of the early incidents: "We had two puppies that had been abandoned by a nearby railway line. One was a Lakeland Terrier cross, and another was a Jack Russell Doberman cross. They were tiny when they arrived at the centre, and Jasmine approached them and grabbed one by the scruff of the neck in her mouth and put him on the settee. Then she fetched the other one and sat down with them, cuddling them. But she is like that with all of our animals, even the rabbits. She takes all the stress out of them, and it helps them to not only feel close to her, but to settle into their new surroundings. She has done the same with the fox and badger cubs, she licks the rabbits and guinea pigs, and even lets the birds perch on the bridge of her nose."

Jasmine, the timid, abused, deserted waif, became the animal sanctuary's resident surrogate mother a role for which she might have been born. The list of orphaned and abandoned youngsters she has cared for comprises five fox cubs, four badger cubs, fifteen chicks, eight guinea pigs, two stray puppies, fifteen rabbits, and one roe deer fawn tiny Bramble, eleven weeks old, was found semi-conscious in a field. Upon arrival at the sanctuary, Jasmine cuddled up to her to keep her warm, and then went into the full foster-mom role, showering the roe deer with affection.

"They are inseparable," says Geoff. "Bramble walks between her legs, and they keep kissing each other. They walk together round the sanctuary. It's a real treat to see them."

Jasmine will continue to care for Bramble until she is old enough to be returned to woodland life. When that happens, Jasmine will not be lonely she will be too busy showering love and affection on the next orphan or victim of abuse.

PJT
Great story! Thanks for sharing it.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes
Three,

Thank you for sharing that story. It is so heartwarming. It is just too bad that people are not more like Jasmine. If they were this world would be a better place for sure. I was just wondering, however, looking at the combinations I guess there is only one way you can get a Jack Russell-Doberman mix.

X_
Lizz
I think we could all do with a Jasmine in our lives sometimes! Thanks for sharing this story. L
littlejo
What a beautiful story, so heartwarming, Thanks so much Three.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
I just love this...Makes you stop for just a moment, huh ?? Just beautiful....Thanks for the share.
Mickey
love this story thanks
vulcanBMk2
That story was a great antidote to all the Crap in the World, Earthquakes, Bombings, Nuclear reactors, Invasion , Civil war unrest, Young men arriving back home in coffins or with limbs missing. Crap governments all over the world THE BUDGET!!

We are never going to stop these things have no control over nature-----But occasionally you need a story like that , to restore your faith in the world to make you realise that us Stupid Humans are not the only animals that live on this rock.
having been treated cruelly by humans in the first place, has managed to make a better job of living here than we have......

If you cant do some one a good turn ...dont do them a bad one........!!
KennyT
You make a very significant point Vulcan. We may, as humans do, disagree but things like this pop up in our lives just maybe to remind us of what it is all about. We tend at times to overlook the beauty surrounding us due to our focus upon the ills that tend to consume our lives.

This is a beautiful illustration of the wonderful world we live in.
vulcanBMk2
Nice one Kenny !!!
Pinky
Thank you, Three for that lovely story - I've sent it on to others I know who love DOG (GOD spelled backwards).

Kenny, I am glad to see you still on this site...you are a really nice, erudite person and I'm glad we didn't lose you.

It amazes me that a dog could "parent" a badger! Beauty and the Beast! ;
KennyT
Thank you very much Pinky.