Where to get Paregoric. Manufacturer's name needed.

Replies
Views
hazzard
Greetings
Can anyone tell me where I can get paregoric. I've been taking it since I received an ileostomy and it controls the loose stool. Because it is a liquid I can control the dosage and take less or more as needed. The three companies that manufactured it have stopped..help. anyone have ideas where I can get this or HOW to go about finding a manufacturer.Peace Katrina
WAGSAM
I CAN'T FIND PAREGORIC ANYWHERE EITHER. THEY TOOK IT OFF THE MARKET. I HAD TO US STRAIGHT OPIUM TO STOP THE DIAREHEA. I MUCH RATHER USE THE PAREGORIC. I HAD MORE CONTROL OVER IT. THE FDA STOPPED IT. I AM ALSO QUITE UPSET ABOUT THIS. I TRIED CANADA, AND EUROPE ALSO.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Hi Wag,
I have been taking DTO (distilled tincture of opium) for years to control diarrhrea. I was curious about the difference between it and paragoria. Here's what I found in that great medical resource, Wikipedia: "Paregoric is sometimes confused with Laudanum, because their chemical names are similar: Camphorated Tincture of Opium (Paregoric) vs. Tincture of Opium (Laudanum). However, Laudanum contains 10 milligrams of morphine per milliliter, 25 times more than Paregoric. Confusion between the two drugs has led to overdose and deaths in several patients. Thus the term "Paregoric" should be used instead of "Camphorated Opium Tincture," since the latter may be confused with Laudanum."

Paragoric was taken off the market in 1970. Your doctor, however, can write a script for DTO but many pharmacies, including the big chains, will not carry it. I get mine from Medco, a national mail-order supplier. It seems to me that the big difference between the two drugs is the potency of the dosage. If you take fewer drops of DTO, you might get the same results you wanted from paragoric. Ask you doctor. You might be much better off staying away from opiates if another product gives you decent results. Good luck!
WAGSAM
DEAR PRIMEBOY,
I KNOW THEY TOOK PAREGORIC OFF THE MARKET WITHIN THE LAST YEAR. I AM USING A TINCTURE OFOPIUM ALTHOUGH I PREFERRED THE PAREGORIC.THIS IS MUCH MORE CONCENTRATED SO YOU NEED ONLY TO TAKE A BIT OF IT. I AM TRYING TO GET THE DOSAGE RIGHT FOR MYSELF.
THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS FOR ME. (THE OPIATES). IALSO USE HUMIRA INJECTIONS AND AM NOW COMING OFF OF STERIODS ONCE AGAIN.
ICALLED THE FDA AND ASKED THEM WHY THEY TOOK OFF THE PAREGORIC AND THEY SAID BECAUSE "IT WASN'T TESTED PROPERLY". MEANWHILE OUR PARENTS USED IT ON OUR GUMS WHEN WE WERE INFANTS AND TEETHING.
I WISH WE COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT BRINGING IT BACK. I ALSO USE MEDCO.
TAKE CARE
WAGSAM