Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,228 members

HOW OFTEN DO YOU NEED TO EMPTY

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:41 pm
  THIS MAY SOUND A STRANGE REQUEST BUT, HOW MANY TIMES A DAY DO YOU  ILEOSTOMISTS need to empty your pouch?

I  probably need to empty mine between 9 - 13 times a day.  Good job I don't need to wee as often!!!  ,    IS THIS USUAL??  I APPRECIATE ANY REPLIES.

I'M STILL HAVING PROBLEMS COPING WITH THE 'VELCRO' TO EMPTY MY POUCH.  MY FINGERS ARE SO PAINFUL.  HOLLISTER HAVE INFORMED ME THEY HAVE A NEW TYPE COMING OUT LATER IN THE YEAR, WHICH IS GOOD, BUT IT'S COPING 'TILL THEN.  
             REGARDS ALL,  SKEETER
Reply by ron in mich, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm
hi skeeter i,ve had my ileo. for almost 26yrs. and i find it depends on a few things starting with what size pouch you wear, mine is the large 12in. pouch also what you eat and drink if i drink a lot of coffee i have to drain my pouch more or drinks like gatorade go through me. on a side note is,nt the internet great i sure wish it would have been around when i first had my ileo.   ron in mich.
Reply by lottagelady, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:09 pm
I would say maybe 4 - 6 times a day generally? 9-13 seems a bit extreme .... do you have a very watery output? If so, have you tried the gelling crystals in your pouch to thicken it all up? I have arthritis in my hands too, but can't be as bad as yours ... was the info I posted yesterday any help at all??

I am sorry, it must be very difficult ...

Rach xxx
Reply by Xerxes, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm
Skeeter,

It's hard to put a number on it, but for sure there are several factors that affect the frequency including how much you eat, the types of food you consume, the combination of food that you take in at one seating and the beverages that you have in combination. I am not sure how long you have your ileostomy, but over time you kind of learn the do's and don'ts and how they relate to filling of the pouch. As was already said, the size of the pouch is also important. You might find that the high volume pouch would be more suitable for you. I don't like the velcro tips myself. I think the clips are safer.

X_
PJT
Reply by PJT, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:29 pm
I'll have to agree with the others Skeeter. It all depends on what you eat and drink. If you eat like a horse you s--t like a horse! Can I say that? Anyway, a quick estimate for me is that I must empty my bag about 10 times a day and I almost always have to empty it in the middle of the night. I find I sleep better if I just get up and empty it rather than lying there thinking about it and trying to decide if I should get up or not. I've had my ileaostomy for 32 years so if I'm right I've emptied my bag 116,800 times and changed it at least 1,664 times.
Whoa!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 pm
hi skeeter, i also have an iliostomy and very runny output and empty at least 10 times a day and like pjt always empty at nite twice, or lat there thinking shall i shant i, then i have to or im awake all nite, im very sore and in a lot of pain with mine, iv had it almost a year, and im still recovering i was in hospital for 4 months,im told it gets better with tim,
i too have arthritis in my fingers and hands and feet, i do know whats worse somtimes,
best of luck to you hun, hope things get sorted for you,..maggie
Reply by lottagelady, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:23 pm
Hi Maggie - if you don't mind me asking, how come you are in so much pain with your ileostomy??
Rach xx
Reply by Primeboy, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:47 pm
"Good job I don't need to wee as often!!! " Slow down, Skeeter, that's not always such a good thing. You need to stay hydrated, particularly with an ileostomy; and you need to pee regularly for many reasons (e.g., kidney stones are likely to develop if you don't drink enough). Some meds, like immodium and lomotil, will reduce the fluid output from your stoma with two effects: (1) fewer bag empties, and (2) greater urine production. BTW, I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so talk with your MD to be sure to be sure.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:44 pm
Hi Rach, .  I watched the video to fully understand about 'putting  a crease in the bag'. Trouble is, the bags I'm using at present are rigid.  I've sent for several samples, so hopefully I'll have better luck with them   . Regards Skeeter .  Thanks for caring.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 pm
I don't eat like a horse - just **** like one !!!!!!! .   I do eat very carefully.  I've had lots of blockages in the past, so I don't want any more.  You must be exhausted.  All those emptying times !!!  LOL.  Thanks for your message.  Best  Wishes.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:09 pm
I MAKE SURE I'M HYDRATED AT ALL TIMES AND DRINK PLENTY OF ADAMS ALE.  THANKS FOR MESSAGE.  REGARDS.

Primeboy wrote:
"Good job I don't need to wee as often!!! " Slow down, Skeeter, that's not always such a good thing. You need to stay hydrated, particularly with an ileostomy; and you need to pee regularly for many reasons (e.g., kidney stones are likely to develop if you don't drink enough). Some meds, like immodium and lomotil, will reduce the fluid output from your stoma with two effects: (1) fewer bag empties, and (2) greater urine production. BTW, I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so talk with your MD to be sure to be sure.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:12 pm
THANKS FOR YOUR MESSAGE MAGGIE, I HOPE YOU GET YOUR PAIN SORTED OUT VERY SOON.

maggie33 wrote:
hi skeeter, i also have an iliostomy and very runny output and empty at least 10 times a day and like pjt always empty at nite twice, or lat there thinking shall i shant i, then i have to or im awake all nite, im very sore and in a lot of pain with mine, iv had it almost a year, and im still recovering i was in hospital for 4 months,im told it gets better with tim,
i too have arthritis in my fingers and hands and feet, i do know whats worse somtimes,
best of luck to you hun, hope things get sorted for you,..maggie
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:20 pm

skeeter wrote:
I don't eat like a horse - just **** like one !!!!!!! .   I do eat very carefully.  I've had lots of blockages in the past, so I don't want any more.  You must be exhausted.  All those emptying times !!!  LOL.  Thanks for your message.  Best  Wishes.
Reply by junopete, on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:17 pm
Skeeter, Fiber equals output it's that simple.  Stick to high protein foods, they will digest better.  Take small bites and chew until it is liquid.  That in it's self takes a huge strain off your small intestine.

If your output is very wet, as most ileo's are.  You might consider going to a tubular drain type bag.  That is what I did and it's high out put so no worries at night while sleeping, waking up with a football on my waist!!!  Ready to explode.

I also used the "osteo vent" I would locate it right at the top of the bag.  So burping the bag was easy and SAFE.  

Wrap a plastic garbage bag around your waist just above the appliance and tape it very tight.
You will not get any water on the appliance.  Of course you may lift the plastic where needed to wash.

Good luck

Rick.....
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:49 pm
I'm pleased someone else prefers the clips to velcro.

Did you know the clips are being done away with?

Xerxes wrote:
Skeeter,

It's hard to put a number on it, but for sure there are several factors that affect the frequency including how much you eat, the types of food you consume, the combination of food that you take in at one seating and the beverages that you have in combination. I am not sure how long you have your ileostomy, but over time you kind of learn the do's and don'ts and how they relate to filling of the pouch. As was already said, the size of the pouch is also important. You might find that the high volume pouch would be more suitable for you. I don't like the velcro tips myself. I think the clips are safer.

X_
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.